Your Email Address:

First Name:

Has anyone taken Metronidazole (antibiotic)?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Halitosisux,

I hope the tooth is the answer to your problem. Sounds promising at the moment, even if it only is a partial fix. Any progress is progress.

Cipro does have the potential for a few side effects, but nothing out of the ordinary for an antibiotic. It shouldn't be a problem if it's only for a week. I'm hoping it is the extra help the Metronidazole needs to get all of the abnormal bacteria causing the BB.

If you do decide to use the Metronidazole for that long I hope you will at least consult a doctor about the safety of that. Or even just some literature that explains the risks. I know people go on antibiotics for lengthy periods for things like acne, so it is done. But, i'm not sure if the same is true for Metronidazole.

Just something to consider.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thanks TeamZissou,

Very true, any progress is progress, we may well have more than one reason causing our BB, considering the percentage of people who have it. This is the only consolaton i have regarding my tonsillectomy, because we might simply be susceptible to the types of bacteria we host, and until we deal with every cause we may have causing our problem, we'll never be able to control the odour on our tongues etc and have normal breath.

My plan right now is to continue researching together on here, particularly with the antibiotic/bacterial theories we're looking into.
By the new year, i'll know where i stand regarding my tooth extraction, and be fully prepared if required to continue fighting and try anything else on my list.

So far, regarding medications etc, my ideas have only been considerations. Before i try anything medically, i'll take every measure i can to reach the best compromise between safety and effectiveness. We have to be prepared to take risks. Having tonsils out was a risk - even teeth extractions are a risk. Even health professionals are a risk.
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hey TeamZissou,

How does cipro differ from other antibiotics? Is it worth asking my doctor for along with the Metronidazole?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Snobuni,
I cant wait to hear the results of your dental x-rays..
CURED mentioned the observation his ENT made about how high-up and close to his sinuses his wisdom teeth were. That's what triggered his investigations into a possible connection. I hope your x-rays are able to confirm things, but if not then your forthcoming ENT appointment should do :) good luck today.
mizz123
Junior

Post by mizz123 »

I thought that anitbiotics once done taking them makes your breath 50 times worse than what it was to begin with?
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Snobuni,

Cipro is a broad-spectrum antibiotic because of the way it works. It blocks DNA replication in bacterial cells, which means it can work against many gram positive and gram negative bacteria, because they all need to replicate their DNA to reproduce.

Other antibiotics, like penicilin for example, only work against gram positive bacteria, because they target a difference in bacterial cell walls that only exists in gram positive organisms.

I'm not sure why Cipro itself is so potent. There are other antibiotics that are effective against both gram positive and gram negative bacteria.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Some very interesting reading for anyone who hasnt yet been tested for the presense of HP:-

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr ... =98364.pdf
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Wow, really interesting!! I think it's great that research like this is being done. I think there were a couple of interesting points there, particularly that a researcher took some H. pylori and soon developed 'putrid' halitosis. Also, that H, pylori is sometimes found in the mouth, does this suggest that stomach and intestinal contents can be transfered into the mouth? How? Acid reflux? And they posed the question of why some people infected with H. pylori develop halitosis but others don't.

I went to see my GP yesterday and asked to be treated for H. pylori, but all she would give me is a month long course of omeprazole and 2 weeks of metronidazole. I'm thinking of buying some bismuth citrate, tetracycline or amoxycillin online, just so I know I've covered all bases when I start this treatment. I'm not going to start 'til after xmas 'cos I can't drink when taking the metonidazole, and at the same time I'm going to eat a 'clean' diet (no sugar, carbs etc).
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Snobuni,

Did you take the h. pylori test?

If so, did it come back positive?

Which h. pylori test did you take? breath, stool or blood?

Drastic
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hey Drastic,

She didn't even offer me a HP test (sometimes I think she's just humouring me!) I did take a home HP blood test a few months back which came out negative, but I don't know how reliable these things are.

To be honest, I'm not holding out much hope that the antibiotics will get rid of my bb, it's just another thing to cross off my list...

How's ure bb since your tonsillectomy? Is it any better? :)
iva
Master

Post by iva »

According to my doctor, the biopsy taken during gastroscopy is the most reliable way to test the presence of h.p. Then comes the stool test and the blood test comes last and is not very reliable.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

A doctor told me that the breath test is the best one to have.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Snobuni,
The Omeprazole is a PPI (research) which is to prevent the stomach acid from interfering with the effects of the antibiotic on the h.pylori. Bismuth citrate does the same thing, but less effectively, so you wont need it while taking a PPI. Providing you are not resistant to metronidazole, this 2 week course has a very high chance of eradication. Your doc may know from your records that you've never taken metronidazole, so has decided not to use anything else in combination with it. I'd go along with this, because it is a 2 week course, and even if it doesnt work, your doc will be ready for the next step if it doesnt, within her tried and tested guidelines.
BUT, if you cant resist, then seek to obtain whatever else is normally given in combination with metronidazole.

Take a look at http://www.helico.com/
Barry Marshall is the guy who discovered this bacteria was responsible for ulcers, he's the one who infected himself to prove it and developed BB while he was infected.
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hey Halitosisux,

Thanks for the info. I just looked at the H.P. site and the different combinations of treatments. It seems that most include amoxicillin and clarithromycin. I think, for this reason, I'll definately take 1000mg of amoxicillin when I start the treatment.

I'm also concerned that my GP hasn't prescribed Clarithromycin, although I was under the impression that this was an anaerobic bacteria killing antibiotic similar to metronidazole, so I'm not sure why it's prescribed instead of amoxicillian if you're allergic.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Snobuni,
The reason could simply be the difference in costs. Most of the combinations give very high eradication rates, and the difference in more expensive drugs does not justify the small statistical increase in effectiveness.
Also, there has to be a balance and compromise between effectiveness and potential harm with antibiotics. Your doctor chose this particular therapy combination on this balance.
Its up to you now whether you wish to risk this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic