Your Email Address:

First Name:

If we are ever cured, would we become halitophobic?

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
daveparker
Advanced

If we are ever cured, would we become halitophobic?

Post by daveparker »

I was just wondering, if we did get cured, would we be stuck in the mindset we are now, always wondering if our breath smells, taking gestures/comments for more than they actually are?

Busted
God

Post by Busted »

We would probs still interpret reactions in the beginning, but it's just a matter of time b4 we would stop doin it, because we won't get reactions anymore. But <hat the hell, there's still a "if" that is very far away.
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

As someone who is now struggling to return a sense of normalcy to his life after this long, torturous battle with bad breath, I can tell you (fortunately) that confidence in your breath will return almost as quickly as it took to destroy it. As Busted noted, people's lack of reactions makes you not think about the issue, just as reactions will quickly put it on your mind.

Unfortunately, depending on how bad your breath actually offended people and hence traumatized you as a result, and for how long, there is real psychological damage to us that will take longer to undo.

For the first few weeks after my bad breath largely went away even I myself simply couldn't believe it actually had. Inspite of people's non-reactions I would tense up whenever I had to speak to someone's face, so much so as in the past that I would actually freak the person out that my breath was bad and I was trying to hide it even though we both knew it wasn't. So I would create reactions just to my fear.

Well, that eventually stopped after a few weeks, but I find myself still helplessly tensing up physically some when someone gets too close to me, and nasal gestures or sniffles, even when I know are not directed at me, will still grab my attention and irk me. Whenever I overhear someone else talking about something that smells or smelled, usually food or a restroom, it will grab my attention and make me tensely self-conscious instantly. Things like these bring back the ghosts immediately for me.

I am looking forward to these post-traumatic stress disorder-like symptoms fading in the coming months, but I can only hope.

The things that will take longer are subconscious effects and those on the social aspect of my personality (ie, learning to socialize comfortably and without fear again). I've just begun to realize how much this disorder has affected my personality and made me all that much more of a loner who mostly enjoys being alone (I was never an extrovert in the first place, but...).

Over the last few days I've also come to realize that it has apparently affected my work ethic over the last few years. I used to volunteer to do favors for people, whereas now I am more than satisfied just doing the bare minimum of my share and generally not returning favors done me because of the unconscious realization that whatever I do for them my co-workers will still dislike me because of this problem and talk and joke about me behind my back. I have become paranoid, distrusting all of them and even when in cheerful collaboration with them secretly bristle at their hypocrisy in treating me well to my face versus how I know they speak of me behind my back.

It hasn't escaped me that my total healing may require a new place of employment, among many other new things. It's like in certain areas you have to start your life all over again, and those are the damages that suck the most.

P.S.

I hope people don't mind me outleting like this on a forum for people who still struggle against bad breath, because it does take the world off my shoulders. [-(
halihope
Master

Post by halihope »

CURED
I am so happy for you not suffering bb anymore and even more happy you are still connected to this forum so that you can keep us informed of whatever might help. As far as you confidence coming back, I think it will take time but you need to be strong and place yourself in situations where you have to interact with people and be oblivious to their nose/scratch/comments. Do this little by little a bit more each time until you achieve confidence. I suggest you don't change jobs because as soon as you see someone doing the above in the new job you will be torturing yourself with questions. Conquer your confidence right where you are at and keep us informed.
God bless you
inyourface!
Total Newbie

Post by inyourface! »

Cured, you are just great!...tnx for still being part of the forum.....
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Hey cured...do you mind writing some more stories about things you do that you didn't do b4 you were cured. :)

If some of us read it, even that does make us a bit happier. I mean some of us can still imagine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic