Your Email Address:

First Name:

H. Pylori/Halitosis Connection

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Snoopsister,

How's the pepto working for you? How long have you been taking it now? Are you finding that the good effects are diminishing over time or does it still seem to be working ok?

snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

hey sno,

I took it for a few days and it helped , then I ran out of money so went 2 days without it, now on day 2 , but my espohagas is all messed up right now. so I can feel bad taste come up
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

So i'm on day 9 out of 14 of the triple therapy. It has reduced the BB to some degree, but at this point i'm chalking that up to the fact that i'm still currently on the antibiotics. I believe that it will come back to what it was when the medication ends. I don't really have any basis to say that other than a gut feeling. Everything feels the same in my mouth and nasal passages. For some reason i'm noticing an even more prominent coating on the tongue while on the medication. I'm not sure what that means.

I'm still holding out some hope it may work in the end, but as I said, it doesn't feel like this is the answer in my case.

If you're reading this and are considering it as a possibility for yourself, I would say its certainly worth a try. All of the medications cost only 30 dollars in total, and the side effects have been pretty mild up to this point, aside from some very minor stomach pain and an odd taste in the mouth.
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

I'm on day 4 of the triple therapy, so far I can't say I've noticed an improvement in my bb (except first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but I think this is due to the fact that this is when I take the recommended Pepto-Bismol dose).

I don't understand, surely bb is primarily caused by anerobic bacteria, how come the antibiotics don't kill them off? Does this mean that my bb is not bacterial in origin? Is this even possible? The Pepto-Bismol decreases my bb, and that's an antibacterial.
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Snobuni,

I don't understand that either. Maybe the pepto is improving your bad breath through a mechanism other than killing off bacteria. Didn't someone who knew a good deal about it say it combined with VSC's to make something with no smell? That would reduce the BB without killing any bacteria.

Or maybe it did something in your stomach that changed your digestion in some beneficial way.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Snobuni & TeamZissou,
I have a few points to make. When i've taken metronidazole i noticed strange tastes too, and thicker tongue coating. It could be relating to the oral flora imbalance, particularly with increase in fungal presense. I've read that whenever taking metronidazole its beneficial to eat lots of yoghurt for this reason, as well as looking after the intestinal flora. Are you guys taking any kind of probiotics during this therapy?
Also, with so many hundreds of different species of bacteria in the mouth, its unlikely that metronidazole will be effective against every one of these species. With that said, these remaining species may flourish during this treatment, hence continuing tastes and odours. The hope of this "experiment" is to see if you are lucky enough to eradicate certain species which are considered to be "bad bacteria" identified as causing the BB so that once completed they are no longer present, whether that be h.pylori or other identified BB bacteria.
As well as the chemical effect of Pepto-Bismol on sulphur in the saliva, (apparently the cause of black tongue coatings which usually appear) which may be affecting overall VSC levels, remember that Pepto-Bismol may possibly be affecting BB through changes to the pH, of either the stomach or of the oral cavity, the consequences of which will affect bacterial activity.
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hey Halitosisux,

I've noticed a slightly sweet taste in my mouth which could possibly be due to an increase in candida (no tongue coating so far though). I've been using an antifungal oral gel to try and control this and will probably take an antifungal tablet at the end of my treatment to kill off any thrush. I have probiotics and oral probiotics but I'm not planning on taking them til i'm finished, mainly because I don't have a clear 2 hours either side of my antibiotics throughout the day, so it seems a bit pointless to take the probiotics if they're just going to be instantly killed off.

Interesting what you said about the effectiveness of metro, I didn't realise that it wouldn't kill off all species of anerobic bacteria. It looks like it's not affecting the bacteria that cause my bb (although it's still early days, can't antibiotics take up to 5 days to be effective)?

As for the pepto, it never turned my tongue black from the start (although I do have thin black lines down the sides of my tongue in the morning sometimes. I find this strange, as I gave my partner a pepto before bed once (he doesn't have bb at all), when he woke up his tongue was completely black!! Mine wasn't, weird!!!

Maybe just altering the ph in my mouth is enough to prevent the bacteria from establishing for a while (although when I've tested my ph in the past with ph strips, it's always neutral). Either way, I'm glad the pepto takes the edge off my bb for a while, it's the only thing that does.

Sorry for the long and rambling post! :)
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Antibiotics are secreted in the saliva and mucus and will act quickly on the oral bacteria for which it is effective against. But anywhere that an infection is present then obviously it takes time because there will be a healing process involved. And as we've been reading lately if biofilms of bacteria are present then it takes much longer and may even be impossible to clear by medication alone.
The hope is that certain species of bacteria may be eradicated, the presense of which are responsible for causing BB in some people - or that a self-sustaining chronic infection somewhere can be healed, like in the sinuses or HP in the stomach.

The issue with black tongues is weird - could depend on the oral pH at any given time? Could be when someone has high levels of VSCs this interferes in some way with that blackening process, and those who have low VSC levels it doesnt interfere and then causes the blackness. God knows.. must have been a real shock for him to find that back tongue suddenly out of nowhere.. i hope you warned him beforehand lol
TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Well I feel a little better that you had a noticably thicker tongue coating well on the metro as well. I was a little concerned that might be a permanent thing.

As far as probiotics, I have been eating yogurt and activia throughout the course, but probably not as much as I should have. I'm not sure how much you need to eat to make an impact.
angelabrookss
Total Newbie

Post by angelabrookss »

I have been studying homeopathy by myself for very long time. I tried to use it to beat my bad breath and I was not successful. But I have found out something very interesting. The only homeopathic medicine that most precisely described bad breath was mercurius solubilis. And bad breath can be due to h pylori infection so we must study h pylori symptoms for solving this problem from its root level!
stressedout
Master

Post by stressedout »

Not everyone has H. Pylori.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic