Your Email Address:

First Name:

Smelly Tooth? Cause?

Tell us your story with bad breath
Michael123

Smelly Tooth? Cause?

Post by Michael123 »

Hi everyone,

I've been suffering like all of you for at least 9 years now, and I'm starting to loose my sanity I think. I've just been feeling around in my mouth and the molar tooth in the top left hand corner of my mouth stinks of shit. So does the gum area around it. Until now I've been convinced that the problem is coming from the very back of my tongue and throat area because that's where the god awful taste is. But I've made a concentrated effort to clean the back of my mouth thoroughly. The area must be clean now.

But I was thinking that now I've discovered this smell around that tooth, that maybe that's the origin now. Do any of you guys think that this tooth could be the cause? Could bacteria be collecting in a that area for some reason? Would the removal of the tooth perhaps end this hell?

Please if you have any thoughts about this could you get back to me.I've been suffering for as long as I can remember (at least from age 13, I'm now 21). I've no friends left at all now. Never had a girlfriend. And the loneliness is really painful now.

Good luck to you all, and I hope you all make it out of this situation.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Michael,
I remember your first post. Not heard from u in a while but im pleased to hear you've pinpointed a source of odour. That's exactly what happened with me too, and it turned out to be the cause of my BB which i had for twice as long!. Have u had a dentist's opinion on it yet?
Please report back when you know more.
Total Newbie

Post by 620 »

Yes, it could very well be the source of your bb. I had my wisdom teeth taken out 2 years ago for orthodontic treatment, but i've had bb for about 5, maybe 6 years now. Mine were coming in sideways and were very painful, also there was a pocket where food would always get stuck n i would use my tongue to get it out, and sumtimes when that wouldnt work, i would use a tooth pik and im telling you, it smelled horrible...Since removal, it lessened my bb GREATLY, but I had this odor from my nose also, n thus it wasnt completely eliminated. But I STRONGLY urge you to get those teeth out of there, that way you will know if it is a CAUSE or CONTRIBUTOR to your bb....
meowkity1
Super Angel

your story is like mine

Post by meowkity1 »

And you havev to get rid of that tooth, before it jacks your whole mouth up.
Michael123

Post by Michael123 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying. I really do need to get this problem investigated. Nothing else in my mouth stinks this way (as far as I know). A couple of years ago my tongue did, before I started cleaning it. The surface of it really did use to stink badly, but now I brush the hell out of it and don't think it's a contributor. I'm now 100% sure that it's all coming from my mouth. I think it'll be a case of eliminating each odour producing part in my mouth one bit at a time. I'm hoping that this wisdom tooth is the sole remainming cause. Unfortunately I'm not registered with a dentist at the moment so I need to register with one and have this suspicion confirmed.
ithurts
Advanced

Post by ithurts »

Michael123, If I were you, I would get that smelly tooth removed within a week. Just the thought that you might be cured soon would bring much happiness. Good luck dude!
bb_girl

Post by bb_girl »

Just curious, do any of you think that the bacteria in the gums of the stinky tooth may be a contributor to a white tongue?
bb_girl

Post by bb_girl »

Hi everyone! I just came back from the dentist's office. I first told my dentist whenevery I floss between the back two teeth, it's really smelly. He first laughed, and I was thinking, "Oh great, he's not going to help me."

But after taking a quick x-ray, he said that the those 2 crowns I had since 2002 have a 'leakage.' He said I can just keep flossing more thoroughly, or take the expensive route, which is to replace the crowns. Since I have to eventually replace it anyway, I chose to replace the two.

He also discovered one of the root canals is infected, so I have to take care of that before I get the crowns replaced.

This is going to cost me a fortune, but if this could possibly be the cause of my bb, I totally don't mind dishing out the money. I got the two crowns in 2002. It was about a while later when I started getting my bb problem. I wonder if I had this 'leakage' since then.

I am so hoping this would eliminate some of my horrific bb!!!! Also last night I was digging around for some tonsil stones and a HUGE one came out!! It was the biggest one EVER! I'm having dinner with my friends tonight so I hope I won't have a strong bb tonight!!

Anyway, I am having my root canal fixed in a few days, and getting my 2 new crowns soon after that. I will report to you all later!
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

bb_girl, root canals are notorious for causing BB when they haven't been carried out correctly or when they are failing.
Also, on the subject of crowns, have a read of this below..
copied from another thread wrote:I have been struggling with bad breath for over 15 years. I have tried gum mints, Therabreath, Biotene. I had my tonsils taken out. I've gone to ENT's, Gastro Docs, General Practioners, Chiropracters, Reflexologists, and plenty of Dentists.

The dentists tell me it's acid reflex, the gastro docs sent me back to the dentists. Everyone blamed it on Post nasal drip. I've bought nasal irrigation systems; I should own stock in Trident; I've traveled to Chicago and was considering going to California. In short, I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars and countless hours trying to figure this out.

Finally, after someone offered me another piece of gum (don't you love when people do that) on Sunday, I was back to square one with worry, anxiety humiliation, and embarassment.

On Monday, I looked up crowns and halitosis. I got a crown placed on my tooth back in 1992. Guess what? There were stories of people with cracked crowns, cracked teeth under crowns, and BAD BREATH.

Tuesday - yesterday - I saw a NEW dentist. I told him I want the crown and tooth removed. I was sent downstairs to an oral surgeon.

He took it out and sent me home. I called back and asked the condition of the tooth. It was decayed and cracked. My breath had been described as "it's like something crawled up there and died," Well, my tooth was dead.

Years of embarassment, thousands of dollars, multiple visits to ENT's, Gastro doctor, Dentists, etc. Told to drink water, scrape tongue, floss, take acid reflux drugs, etc.

And NO ONE thought to ask, "How long has that crown been on?" I asked a dentist earlier this year about the crown being the source of my bad breath. She tapped it and said no, it was on there securely.

I am going to write to every single one of these doctors so they can possibly help someone else. This may not be your problem or a common problem but it was MY problem. I can't believe NO ONE thought of this before.

I am convinced that you are the most important person as regards to your life. I hope no one else has to go through what I have gone through.

Please, keep searching. Your answer is out there. I wish you the best of luck and hope that these message boards will do for us what no doctor has the time to do.
bb_girl

Post by bb_girl »

Thanks for the read! Tomorrow I will be going to fix the infected root canal, and hopefully I will be able to make an appointment for the two crowns soon. I am going on a trip soon so I hope I get this all done before then!

I know my bb will not completely go away but I hope it'll go away, even if it's a little!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic