Your Email Address:

First Name:

Update on my wisdom teeth extraction

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ithurts
Advanced

Post by ithurts »

Hi Snobuni

I went to my doctor. I told him I have bad breath and he did all sorts of tests. I am extremely Vitamin D deficient and my saliva culture turns out fine. Go to go your doctor and ask for the same.
This test makes a lot of sense. For me, mouthwash doesn't help with my breath at all.

Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi Dreamweaver,

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty good news about your wisdoms, do you think you'll have them extracted? Sounds like your dentist will recommend it.

Could you describe what the pocket around your molar looks like? I have a back wisdom where the gum has pulled away slightly from my tooth, it's not a deep pocket, but it's shallow and sore some of the time...I'm wondering if this is a pocket and if it could be causing problems.

Has the smell from your molar returned or has it stayed smelling ok so far? Is this the tooth that has an unerupted wisdom lying next to it? Did anything change with your tongue coating (if you have one) after the cleaning?

So far as my sense of smell goes, I think it's pretty much ok, although I do have a deviated septum and this nostril is blocked a lot of the time. What makes you think your sense of smell is impaired? Do you tend not to smell things that others can or do you just not smell things as strongly?

Sorry for all the questions! :)
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

HI ithurts,

Sorry to hear about your lack of vitamin D. But its really good to get your body checked out fully by a doctor. I did get checked out by a doctor running all kinds of test. Nothing came up.

I just wonder if we , including myself have restricted certain foods in the aim of getting rid of bb???? And what effect this could have on our bodies in the long run.

I ask this because alot of people on this site restrict certain foods from our diet in the aim of reducing bb. Foods such as eggs (WHICH ARE RICH IN VITAMIN D), cheese, dairy, wheat etc.

Its such a pity that sometimes in our attempt to get rid of bb we do ourselves more harm than good when we restrict certain things from our diet.

Anyway, ithurts I am not saying that you may have restricted certain foods to cause this vitamin D deficiency. I just feel like sharing that I have restricted my diet in the past and it never helped me. I ended up more deficient than before.

Anyways, good luck with your search for a cure ithurts.

Drastic
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi ithurts,

Are you in the UK? Did you just ask your GP for a bacterial saliva test? Strange that it came back normal.

I see your going to have a similar test for your nose too, if you have a bacterial infection in your nose though wouldn't you still expect some of this bacteria to also be in your mouth and throat?

I wonder about bacteria in my mouth too, as I took a course of anitbiotics (anerobic specific antibiotics) after Christmas, and this had absolutely no effect on my bb at all.

I do wonder though, if abnormal bacterial numbers are found either in the nose or mouth what can be done about this, particulary if antibiotics either don't work or work only temporarily...do we need to find the source of the bacteria before we can tackle the bb problem?
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi ithurts,

I was just wondering, as vitamin d is classified as the 'sunlight' vitamin, and is only found in small amounts in a small number of foods, has your doctor recommended a supplement or light therapy?

I suffer from SAD during the winter and use a light therapy box to top up mu sunlight levels. It seems to work quite well and could be an option for you to increase your vitamin d...then again a walk in the sun (when we see it) is a lot easier!!! :D
ithurts
Advanced

Post by ithurts »

Thanks Drasstic. I do hope that I find a cure soon. It would be the happiest day of my life.

Snobuni,
I am living in US. I told my physician that I have bad breath and he suggested a number of tests. Yes! My doctor said that I should get tests for my nose and throat and only an ENT have the equipments to do it.
about bacterial infection spreading from Nose to mouth, I'm not sure about it. I'll ask my ENT and see what he says. You should go to an ENT and ask all these questions.

My doctor recommended Vitamin D. I guess I'll go back to do another blood test in 1 month. I have been depressed for a long freaking time. I guess Vitamin D deficiency has something to do with it. I'm living in a city where sunlight is rare in 6 months of the year. I'll buy a sunlight box. Thank you for your advices :).

If anyone wants me to ask my ENT any other questions, please post them here so I can ask him for you. :)
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi ithurts,

I live in a Scotland and there's not much sunlight around here in the winter so I've found that a light box really helps with depression. I take St Johns Wort sometimes too, it works really well (it's been proven to be as effective as prescription antidepressants against mild to moderate depression, it can interfer with other meds or the contraceptive pill tho) :?

I'll be really interested to hear what your ENT finds when he takes swabs of your nose and throat. Good luck at your appointment :D
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

dreamweaver wrote:Hi Snobuni,

Thanks for asking. I did visit a dentist yesterday. I got a few things accomplished during the visit:

1. x-rays
2. cleaning
3. discovered i have 4 new cavities
4. discovered that I have 2 wisdom teeth which have not erupted, both on the left side.

I told the dentist that I got a bad smell from the bottom back molar. She then showed me the x-rays and explained the situation to me. On the bottom, the wisdom tooth is still below the gum, but is pushing up towards the second molar. This created a bit of a pocket which was collecting food debris and bacteria. She told me she will take a closer look at the x-rays and get the opinion of the other dentist in the office before telling me if the wisdom tooth should be extracted.

I did notice a couple things things though. Today, 1 day after the cleaning, I rubbed around the same molar which gave the bad smell before and I did not get a bad smell on my finger. The dental assistant really cleaned the area well and also showed me how to floss properly. Whether the smell will come back in a few days remains to be seen.

Also, my mouth was more moist and my tongue was pinker. I still had the awful taste in my mouth though.

I hope the dentist gets back to me fairly quickly on the wisdom tooth.

I have a question for you guys. My sense of smell has diminished quite a bit. Are any of you experiencing this as well?

Halitosisux, how was your taste before and after you resolved your BB issue? If you had a bad taste in your mouth before, did this problem go away once your BB went away?
Dreamweaver, its promising that you found those odours around your molar and whatever the cause might be its never a good sign, so there is good hope its relating in some way to your BB in the same way as it did for me.
The way wisdom teeth can affect other teeth, even when the particular wisdom hasnt even erupted, by affecting the gum of adjacent teeth or by the physical pressure exerted, is very important to note.
My mouth was like bacteria were completely out of control, after brushing or eating it wasnt so bad for a while, but gradually within a couple of hours it was like my mouth was decomposing. By this stage my mouth tasted strongly of shit, but i dont get this buildup anymore. My tongue smelled very badly and now i have to struggle to find any odours on it, even in the morning. AND i still have PND from my nose because of a deviated septum.
hello
Junior

Post by hello »

hey halitosisux...I juss had a question....I was wondering that when u had bb did ur bb use to go away when u ate...because when i eat, depending on the meal...specially if its a juicy type of meal, my bb goes away pretty much, but slowly creeps back in. but now these days my bb creeps back in at a slower rate..im assuming maybe thats due to healtheir gums than before...

btw is it normal to have gum pockets of 3mm as thats what the impression i get from reading different sites
hello
Junior

Post by hello »

one more question to all members..on like a humid cool day...does your mouth release more fog than the average person on the street?
ithurts
Advanced

Post by ithurts »

hello,

does chewing sugar-less gum and drinking water help you out with your breath?
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

ithurts,

How long has it been since your wisdom extractions.

I know you said you still had bb?

But did it reduce your bb by any pecentage? 5. 10 or 15 % reduction maybe?

Drastic
ithurts
Advanced

Post by ithurts »

hey DRASTIC,

It has been more than 1 month. Seriously, I don't know how much my breath has improved or even if it has improved at all. It's hard to tell.

I went to my ENT an hour ago and talked to him about my bad breath. Is it me or doctors are uncomfortable about this subject? After the checkup, he said that I have tonsil stones. My crypts are not invisible to me so I can't really tell. I asked for a tonsillectomy and he said he would do it. He kept telling me that it's really painful.

So here are my plans.
1) get my weekly allergy shots for 6 months.
2) If in 6 months my bad breath doesn't improve, I'll get a tonsillectomy.

My ENT kept telling me that I shouldn't have such high expectations. Man, the thought that I might get stuck with this disease for the rest of my life is making me sad.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

HI ithurts,

Really am sorry about that man.

But I wonder if the remainder bb could be your tonsil stones.

I had tonsil stones and had a tonsillectomy done but my bb remained.

So, think carefully about surgery. Maybe you could try manually examining your tonsil crypts daily to keep them clean.

Again, I am so sorry.

I hope you find your cure soon.

Drastic
ithurts
Advanced

Post by ithurts »

Hi Drastic,
I can't see my crypts. They are not visible to the eyes. That's why I didn't know that I have chronic tonsil stones. I seriously would try anything and I mean anything to give myself a chance. I know surgery would be painful. I rather be in pain for 2 weeks than giving up all hope.
My ENT recommended to me a Oral Medicine Clinic. These people are more specialized than a dentist. My insurance doesn't really cover them but who gives a *uck. I want this cured and I want it cured as soon as possible. Money to me is not a big deal. I'm trying to schedule an appointment with them what's going on with me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic