Your Email Address:

First Name:

Finally told parents.....feel much worse

Tell us your story with bad breath
Michael123

Finally told parents.....feel much worse

Post by Michael123 »

God I really wish I hadn't told them. Now I can't look them in the eyes. I told them in the form of a letter because I didn't have the balls to tell them face to face. Felt so embarassed when my Dad came to speak to me about it. Of course he tries to tell me that he hadn't ever smelt my breath. But obviously he was just trying to make me feel better. I told him about loads of other people had said I stink, but he wouldn't buy it for a while.

I only told them because I thought they deserved to know why I'm so depressed most of the time. I got annoyed when he started telling me that my breath didn't smell. I told him that I get really depressed and that my life has fallen apart and he insisted that I should get help. First from a doctor to cure my bad breath, second from a psychologist to help me get over my social phobia. The psychologist idea is a pretty good one, but clearly the seeking help from a doctor is a waste of time. They couldn't possibly help my bad breath.

Anyway I've explained it to him, and I can't help but feel that everything's changed between us now. I just want it all to end now. Far from helping; I feel so much worse.

Any of you ever tell anyone close to you? Any of you ever visit a psychologist to get help? I'm thinking I should go myself now. I mean when you're feeling suicidal, you need help don't you?

Total Newbie

Post by 620 »

yeah dude...i think maybe you should try to calm your mind, get some help first psychologically for what bb is doing to your head, and then second i would say to hold on, n keep searching, there is a REASON, why you have bb, and you should put your mind in a clear place, and tackle these things one by one, and remember, for everytime you feel you fail, you are one step closer to your goal. I know what you mean about your parents, im pretty sure mine know i have bb also, but no one brings it up DIRECTLY because im sure they are jus as embarassed about it as i am...I think that telling your parents depends on your relationship with them and how they are....dont give in, just try to manage it the best you can and keep treading on, it is better to keep trying and try to get to the bottom then to give up altogether because i believe it is something worth fighting for while we sufferers are alive....you have to keep your energy balanced and not let it it the best of you.....we're all here to support you and each other....hang on...
dreamweaver

Post by dreamweaver »

Hang in there man. Have you tried some of the things people have mentioned on this forum such as Searcing's water pik method? You have to try to see what's the most likely cause of your condition. Just create a prioritized list of the most likely causes such as teeth/gums, tonsils, acid reflux, Post nasal drip, allergies, lactose intolerance, etc. Focus on one possible cause for a couple of weeks and take measures to resolve it. If it doesn't work, move on to the next likely cause. It'll take time and effort, but it's not impossible. Being strong psychologically and mentally is the most important thing to overcome any condition, and this one is no exception.

Keep working at it.

Take care.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Michael,

I know what u mean; I have tried discussing it with my parents several times and every time I get soooo annoyed - instead of supporting me, they make me argue with them and try to pursuade them that I do have a problem!
They say they do not smell anything but I believe they are lying..
I discussed it with my closest friend and she reacted the best possible way and I am thankful for having such a wonderful friend.

Michael, people are right - THERE IS A REASON for everyone`s bad breath and if u try hard, I`m sure u will find it. I have been searching for 6 years now and finally I know what my problem is, which gives me the chance to focus on it. So, stay positive and keep searching!
Ice
Advanced

Post by Ice »

well as other have said. Well done!
that was a good move, at least u told them, they will try and help u, or at least have in mind and pay attention on ure breath in future. at least now , they will not think ure just weird, but that u have a reason for acting "weird" sometimes in their opinion...which doesn't mean u have an excuse to be a freak now ;)
focus now and try and solve this problem with or without parents... friends are ussually best choices!
Michael123

Thanks Everyone

Post by Michael123 »

To everyone who's replied, thankyou very much. It means alot to me to find such support. I think what you say about staying mentally positive and calm is spot on. I am able to be just that sometimes but, like everyone else, have moments of tiredness. I've been dealing with this for about 8 or 9 years now and it's really taken it's toll mentally; particularly as I've come to lead a very isolated life. This is mainly due to a conscious choice by myself to avoid people and embarassment as much as I can. Therefore I've let all the relationships I had with friends and extended family fall apart. I've also just about given up on finding a cure. I know this is not the right attitude, but I'm finding it hard to keep fighting. Probably because I'm extremely isolated and there doesn't seem to be anything worth fighting for.
adventure_girl
Total Newbie

I know how you feel

Post by adventure_girl »

Michael, I decided to sign up, just to simply reply to your post, because I can truly relate with you.

My family reacted the same way, the usual "I don't smell anything" "what are you talking about" "it's all in your head", "Maybe you have to go see a pyschologist" blah f-ing blah.

Through such extreme frustration I was so damn determine to get it through their heads, I explained everything that's happened through the past to now and what exactly I've been going through, I had to break the news, to explain why my grades were dropping, being so depressed and having bad thoughts and why I couldn't get accepted to university last year. It worked and so they support and sympathize with me eventually.

Don't worry, it's not their fault, give it time, people who don't suffer from halitosis do not KNOW the extent to how horrible this problem really is. They can't ever comprehend the pain, embarrassment, isolation, and anger that halitosis does to us.

I told my best friends about my problem and how I had thoughts about ending my life as well and boy were they shocked, simply because my personality is naturally very outgoing, adventurous, open and happy, they had no idea that many days I would go home and just break down like no tomorrow.

And honestly dude, a psychologist may be a waste of money, these forums right here are really like another form of being your psychologist, but 100 times better because it's people who are going through exactly what you are.

Keep researching the root to what's causing your halitosis, and don't give up I know it's so tiring and frustrating but when you're living, breathing and moving, that means you can still do something about it, when you're not, then that's just that, it ends there and nothing can be done.

I hope all goes well for you and everyone else on these forums in the near future.
April

Re: I know how you feel

Post by April »

adventure_girl wrote: Keep researching the root to what's causing your halitosis, and don't give up I know it's so tiring and frustrating but when you're living, breathing and moving, that means you can still do something about it, when you're not, then that's just that, it ends there and nothing can be done.

I hope all goes well for you and everyone else on these forums in the near future.
Hi adventure_girl

Thank you for taking the time to sign up and for the above quote. It is quite sad that in today's economically challenging times, some people are taking their own lives (and others) over financial problems, so it must be an added burden if you have bb and facing job loss, home repossession, etc.

It must be hard for some people to get out of that dark place where they feel no one cares or understands. I think family is very important in getting out of such a place, but it's also the sufferer’s responsibility to get help and reach out to others. This forum is such a great place to find support and places to start looking for a probable cause of bb.
TiredofThis

Post by TiredofThis »

HI Michael,
I just had to reply to your post because it seems like so many of us have/had this issue at some point.

My little sister said I NEVER smelled, even though numerous times throughout our life she would call me "cheese breath". i tell her she's probably immune to it but she disagrees. Now I no longer have halitosis due to dairy elimination, but it still makes me angry! My mother said I never had bad breath as well but I believe that's because I never really got close to her. When I would, she'd put her hand under her nose or act like she was scratching her nose.

But ever since I stopped eating dairy, I made sure to bring it up to my parents as a test...sort of as a joking thing, even though it's anything but. I call my mom out when she's scratcting her nose and ask why she's doing it. I think she's just naturally a nose rubber, not for any apparent reason...she just has a habit of it. But she never does it like she used to when I'd talk to her.

It's VERY frustrating because I've been told my whole life that I smell...and I guess because I tried to krep my distance from them, they never noticed that it was a chronic problem. In fact, I was talking to my mom today and she was telling me about a dairy free coconut ice cream she found at the store that she thinks I'll like. It took me a while to convince her that when I eat dairy, I stink. She thought i was crazy at first. But now I think she finally gets it.

I only brought the issue up to my parents the week I was cured, because I wanted to see if my breath still smelled or not. My dad was having problems with dry mouth so I casually mentioned that I do too (even though for the most part, I don't). Then I said "he you know, my breath is really smelling because of it too .Do you smell anything?" I KNOW he'd say something if it did because he has in the past when I was little. And nope, nothing. Now I bring it up to all my friends, ask if it stinks, and they always tell me no. So I'm pretty sure the problem is solved. People still think I'm crazy for asking all the time but hey, I can't help it since every single day of my life for the past 12 years has been torture! It's not so easy to go back to thinking you smell great when you haven't!

Good luck Michael. I know this post is a bit to read but know that we all are here for you. You have all the support you need right here!! PM me if you ever need to talk.
viva
Advanced

Post by viva »

Hi guys,
It's true that out families and close act as if there's something in our heads, instead telling us the truth.
It would be 1,000,000 times better if these people at least tried to understand the scope of our problem and describe how according to them our breath smells.

Also we need not to ask "IF OUR BREATH STINKS",but HOW IT SMELLS.

Stinks is very subjective,but to know how it smells(BB caused by varying causes smells differently) can give a clue on the possible causes.

Also breath may have some odour,though ideally it should be odourless,but it does not necessarily mean that it stinks and is unpleasant to others.
daveparker
Advanced

Post by daveparker »

I did the same, they think I'm crazy....I think I have actually become insane because of this garbage I have to go through.
celica

hey why we all ahve similar stories

Post by celica »

I read most of the interaction and yeah Im skeptical to sign up at first but I want to share my frustrations and give a little inspiration too. I tol dmy mom about my BB and she told me she doesnt smell it but my brothers will hold their nose or yeah scratch it and my husband and friend will always offer you gum or candy or sneeze and its hard to say bless you or else they will smell you again. Im thinking of commitin s*****e too but ruled it out because I have two beautiful kids, 5 and two. My husband is a very kind man and never said anything or left me or divorced me so Im grateful for that. I have a very good job but I just hate my co employees because they think Im unhygienic so they will offer you gums but most of the times they were friendly so I just dont talk when theyre around me and just listen to their stories. My friends I will always invite them to my parties and treat them really really nice so they wont left me and yeah they stick with me but I really dont have aconversation with them during parties I let them do a group talking and I just listen. I always give gift to their children and I became the nicest and kindest person so they will be nice to me in return. Thats all I can do for now to survive in this world is to do my best to best person and let GOd take care the rest.
scarzxx
Total Newbie

Post by scarzxx »

michael i have exactly the same problem as you. I told my parents and they both straight out denied there was a smell even though before my BB became such a problem in my life my parents actually used to drop me hints my breath stunk. now they are damn right refusing to admit there is a smell probably because they know there is no cure :(
LiFeS a BiTcH...sHiT hApPeNs!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic