Your Email Address:

First Name:

Effect of various natural medicinals on salivary protein...

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Help

Effect of various natural medicinals on salivary protein...

Post by Help »

Publication:
Quintessence International
September 2006
Volume 37 , Issue 8

Effect of various natural medicinals on salivary protein putrefaction and malodor production

Nir Sterer, DMD, PhD / Yael Rubinstein

Objective:

Salivary incubation assays are commonly used in oral malodor studies. Using an in vitro model system, the effect of various natural medicinals (ie, echinacea, propolis, elder, mastic gum, marigold, sage, lavender, thyme, and chamomile) on salivary protein putrefaction and malodor production was examined. Method and Materials: Malodor production levels were scored by an experienced odor judge. Volatile sulfide levels were measured using a sulfide monitor (Halimeter), and salivary protein degradation was determined densitometrically following electrophoresis on polyacrylamide gel (SDS-PAGE). Microbial population was evaluated by viable counts and microscopy. Results: Whereas all of the various medicinals caused some reduction in malodor production from the incubated whole saliva, echinacea and lavender were the most effective.

Conclusion:

The bioassay utilized in the present study suggests that these herbs may inhibit oral malodor production. (Quintessence Int 2006;37:653�658)[/b]
Last edited by Help on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halihope
Master

Post by halihope »

Has anyone tried the Echinasea or the Lavender? I am willing to try it but need to know if it has to be in dry or in oil? Hope it works [-o<
Help

Post by Help »

I just bought some echinacea tea and I am planning to drink that and see if it will make any difference.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic