Your Email Address:

First Name:

TMAU

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Hi jb29,

If no one has a copy of the diet you could easily make your own. The USDA link 3 posts up is excellent ( that's the one I use). It lists the choline content in mgs for every 100g of food, beverages, etc. The one below is good too.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

I had a hard time deciphering her post but basically foods
that are:
Allowed freely- have less than 50mgs of choline per serving
Restricted to 2-4 servings- have 50 to 150 mgs of choline per serving
Avoided- have 150 mgs of choline per serving

It also might help to get a decent gram scale. I have one but it only goes up to the equivalent of 50g. It's still useable but I wish I had one that measured higher weights. Hope my post made sense. Cheers.

celica

Post by celica »

well I read about MAU . Its a genetic disorder it means if your mom had it then she will pass it to her kids. The cost for everything is $1500 just to tell you that your positive or negative. Why would you spent that big to find out if you have it and there is no cure. I think most of our problem is not TMAU because our parents dont have it nor our brother or sister unless some of you have mom and dad that have body odor and badbreath then you might reconsider it. In my case all my 5 brothers dont have it, my parents dont have it, my nephews, nieces, cousins and aunties dont have it and my kids dont have it so TMAU is not my conclusions. Also it did not start on an early age if its genetic you will have it since you are a kid and my BB start when I am already old which is ahving a symptom of PND and sorethroath. But I will try the diet that they recommend, no dairies, no legumes, no brocolli and some other food that hard to digest in our colon. Also it mentioned that exercise, depression and activities that make you sweat and nervous and dry your mouth are contributors.. I could not stop exercising. I dont want to be big. By the way JIMI why you stayed with your parents they are not a good influence. You need to move out and find your own place. I couldnt believe that there are some bad parents like yours. If I am in your case I might be thinking I am adopted. My mom even told me she could not smell it just to give me consolation and told me so and so had badbreath really worse and shes fine. She told me no its not that bad. I knew its bad because even my son ask me one time what is that smell its bad and so I asked him you smell something bad and he said yeah and hes only 5. then he started squezzing his nose. My husband when we were in the car always sneeze and as if hes trying to get bughur on his nose. Thats why sometimes in the car I pretend that I am sleeping to protect my family. And GOD why is it hard for our loved ones like my husband honey you have a bad smell and help us with it maybe I can discussed with him my humiliation and depression. he pretended that theres nothing wrong with our relationship and me. He knew I always go to the dentist and doctors but we never discuss why. He knew that I knew I have it and he dont want me to feel bad maybe.
me
Advanced

Post by me »

sos did anyone ever get tested for this???
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

I haven't been tested yet. I've heard that the test isn't all that accurate. I think there is a lab in Montreal that does the testing in Canada but I'm not sure. I don't need one to tell me that I have BB whenever I eat foods high in choline. I get plenty of feedback on it trust me! Personally, I don't mind the low choline diet because it's very similar to my previous diet minus eggs and beans. I'm now officially a vegan whereas before I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

caramiamine98 wrote: Hi All,

I'm a first time poster on this board. I've been lurking for a while and would like to share my story. I've had bad breath for years now (not sure exactly when it started but it's been a while). I have TMAU, PND and Candida ( most likely from metal fillings).
I think its staggering that someone can say they have TMAU without even having being tested for it. Not only could that be misleading to you, but its misleading for others too.
I've seen cases of people, even TV documentaries on TMAU, where people have been convinced they have TMAU having all the symptoms and then it turns out from tests that they do not. TMAU is very rare and typically means you have a strong fishy smell from excretions. Urine tests might give false readings but not the genetic test, which is what most people have and why its so expensive to have it done).

Also, you say you "have candida". Could you please explain what that means and how you were diagnosed.
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Hi Halitosisux,

I'm not sure how I was misleading anybody. I believe I have Tmau because of my symptoms. It's not like I've come on this boarding promoting anything. All I did was change my diet slightly and add a few inexpensive supplements mostly plain old vitamins and minerals and now I seem to have controlled most of the problem. There is more than one type of Tmau. I believe I have the secondary form which is more treatable than the primary form. Also not everyone who has this smells like fish, some people smell like rotting garbage and some smell like burning rubber and not everyone has the BO associated with it either. It's going to be different for everyone. All I know is that whenever I eat foods high in choline my BB could fill a room (yes, this was verified) and when I eat lower choline foods I don't have the same problem. Maybe I'll get tested in the future but for now I'll stick to this diet as it seems to be working for me. I've been on it about a year now. As for the candida, yes I was tested for it but haven't made much effort to control it. I want to get the rest of my metal fillings out first. Hope that answers your questions. Cheers.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

hi, I never said u were misleading, I said your information could mislead. When someone states they have something, whether its TMAU or diabetes, you expect that to be based on a proper diagnosis, not on whether you think you have something. I just think its crazy you came on here saying you have TMAU and discuss your diets and their effect when it hasnt even been diagnosed.

I hope you understand what im saying. There are people on here trying different diets, they dont believe they have TMAU, but you could be seeing improvements to your breath and it might have nothing to do with TMAU because you might not have it - and others would then assume that the benefits would only apply to someone with TMAU and might disregard some valuable information you're providing.

There's nothing unusual about odours from strong smelling foods entering the bloodstream and being excreted thru sweat and the lungs etc, this might be all that's happening in your case. You could just be more susceptible as some people can be.
Congratulation anyway on finding a way to control your problem.

Also, im curious to know how do you get tested for candida?
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Hi Halitosisux,

A lot of people are unaware that there is more than one type of Tmau. There are actually 5 different kinds. The article below lists them all including primary (genetic) and 4 secondary (acquired) types. Just because someone hasn't smelled like fish their whole life and no one else in their family has it doesn't mean they don't possibly have it. It would be worthwhile for some people to at least consider this possibility. I've never told anyone on this board to follow this diet. It's just what has worked for me. If nobody follows it, I don't care! It's their choice. I never even said I was cured for heavens sake! l said it was under control. It's just a freaking diet! So lighten up. I hope you understand what I'm saying as well.

http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/29/4/517

On another forum, a mom has helped her son tremendously with a low choline diet amongst other things. The son has all the symptoms of Tmau and but has not been tested (as of the last posting) due to lack of finances.
Are you suggesting they stop what has worked for him and others as well until he gets tested? Now that would be crazy. What if some people are never able to afford the test? What then? Should they continue to suffer when there is something that might possibly work for them. I don't think so.

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1191287#i

As for the candidiasis, it was a blood test. Apparently I had an overgrowth of yeast in my system. I was handed a list of what not to eat and was told to follow the diet for 2 weeks. It was the worst and most boring 2 weeks of my life. I lost weight that I could ill afford and had absolutely zero energy. It was horrible. After 2 wks I got retested and my yeast levels were way down but unfortunately, the diet was way too difficult to keep up so I didn't.

I can you assure you that I'm very mentally sound. Just because I haven't been tested for this yet does not make me crazy. I have absolutely nothing to gain by coming on here and telling my story. I have nothing to sell, I haven't written a book, I'm not promoting any fancy pharmacueticals or anything else for that matter. If even one of my posts helps somebody sometime that's all that matters to me. Cheers.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

When someone says they HAVE TMAU or HAS diabetes or HAS anaemia etc you dont expect that to be based on assumptions and speculation, no matter what the symptoms might be or their feelings on the matter. Its just so unscientific. People are running around in circles enough as it is with this problem.

I appreciate that a low cholene diet has helped you. And now that anyone who doesnt suspect that their breath problem has anything to do with TMAU now knows that your TMAU hasnt actually been confirmed by a medical diagnosis (thanks to a chance question on testing) and since you now might not have TMAU after all, some might even follow your diet advice and try some of the things which have worked for you, and find it works for them too.
Hope that explains my point on the importance of clarity.

Thanks for the rest of your reply on candida and the informative links. Was this a standard doctor who performed this blood test? if not who did it for you?

thanx in advance
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

I hope you noticed that I used the word 'yet' twice when I talked about getting tested. I haven't ruled it out completely, it's just that I've heard the test wasn't always accurate and that most people have to jump through hoops to be taken seriously by their doctors on this subject. If I did get tested and it came back negative should I just automatically cease what has worked for me and others? No, freaking way! I'm sure mpdela's ( the lady in the above curezone link) son would probably tell you the same thing. By the way mpdela has a blog that was created without her son having been tested for this (see below). Does this sound like the blog of a crazy person to you? Sounds pretty sane to me. C'mon you didn't even know there were different types of tmau for heavens sake! Really. Staggering in fact.

http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitos ... er_03.html

Your middle paragraph made absolutely no sense so I can't comment on it. So much for clarity. Thanks.

My blood test was performed by a naturopath (yes, a real doctor). I mentioned the candidiasis because some feel that an overgrowth of yeast can sometimes lead to BB. I have other issues possibly yeast related as well which I don't want to discuss right now, but I definitely think it's worth it for people to at least look into it. Leave no stone unturned! That's my motto.

I'm also waiting for you to question my PND. You've questioned everything else I've said. Why not this too? Just wondering.

If I'd come on this board and suggested that people try dangerous experimental drug therapies, or that they should eat live mice and gargle with cyanide to cure their problem I would understand the inquisition but that being said I have most enjoyed our discussions. If you have any more questions (and I'm sure you do!) just let me know. Cheers.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I tell you what, to hell with it and your defensive stances. I didnt learn anything about TMAU from you or your links. I was dealing with issues of TMAU nearly 20 years ago even before people had the internet. And if I came onto a halitosis forum SUSPECTING from my symptoms that I had TMAU, i'd have made that point very clear from the outset.

But ever since I raised this SOLE point you've been coming out with SHIT like ur making things up to try to detract from what I said.

Who the hell has implied anything which means you should ever give up on things which help you and to stop giving information which might help others too. That's nothing at all to do with what I'm saying. I actually think ur incapable of grasping what i've said and that's why you get all defensive over it.

And since when is being questioned a bad thing on a forum. You even said it, leave no stone unturned - is that unless things you say are scrutinized in any way?
vilenin89
Junior

Post by vilenin89 »

If you want to get the urine test for TMAU you'll have to drop the diet thats working for you and do a Choline load. You can do the blood test without having to stop the diet.

Most of the people on this forum with "room filling" BB that genuinely have BB have TMAU or some other type of MBO that hasn't been named yet.

Most with the TMAU don't have a fishy odor.
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Hi Vilenin98,

Thanks for the info. Are you still on a low choline diet? If so, do you think it has helped you at all? I never had a fishy odour as far as I know. I asked my daughter who has always been brutally honest with me on this (bless her little heart!) to describe the odour and all she could come with up was that it was "bad". She was astonished that I could not smell it myself. If only I could have! I might have been able get this under control sooner. Best of luck with your situation. Cheers.
Ahmad
Junior

Post by Ahmad »

celica wrote:well I read about MAU . Its a genetic disorder it means if your mom had it then she will pass it to her kids.
Wrong.. it depends on weather it is dominant or recessive, if it's is the later your mother don't have to have it... and the chance of youre brothers is too small.

Don't forget the mutations too.
Remeber Down syndrome.. it's genatic... it is not necessary and it's very rare to have two brothers with it..
celica wrote: The cost for everything is $1500 just to tell you that your positive or negative. Why would you spent that big to find out if you have it and there is no cure

Well, if i lose my keys in my bed room, i don't go and search for it in the backyard just beacouse it's dark and no electricity there in your room.. it's just silly, lets is our problem logicaly.[/quote]
celica wrote: In my case all my 5 brothers dont have it,
they don't beacuse statistically the chance of TMAU in all your family is one in every four.
celica wrote: I think most of our problem is not TMAU because our parents dont have it

they shouldn't beacouse they display the dominant trait [ no TAMU] by possessing one dominant [ No-TAMU] and one recessive [TMAU],[/quote]
celica wrote: and my kids dont,
The chance of your kids having TAMUE if your wife don't carry
TAMUE is ZERO.[/quote]
celica wrote: so TMAU is not my conclusions.
my conclusions is our problem is either some type of a TAMU or a disorder similer to it..
The stupid doctors don't understand it.. and some of us even making it hrder for them to find the cure by concentrating in our moth tonsil thung and so on... imagine each one of us is suffering for years and still we don't know the name of our problem.
I have a new dream... It is all members cured here... and all helping the new members,,,, only then.. this web site will be a bout cure...***k you jimi take my old signature i need it no more
vilenin89
Junior

Post by vilenin89 »

Also testing through the Arkansas Childrens Hospital is only around 126 + shipping.. so figure closer to the 200 dollar US range.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic