Your Email Address:

First Name:

I might be able to help some of you

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
bbforyears

Acid and Bile Reflux

Post by bbforyears »

I just came back from my primary care Dr and I have an appointment with the surgeon on Monday. My Dr isn't so sure the Nissen will prevent the bile reflux but it will stop the acid reflux. He wants to see how I do with this procedure and if I am still having problems I will have the bypass. I was concerned about the safety of the bypass but he assured me because I am young and physically fit I am at a low risk for complications. I have a lot of stomach issues as a result of the bile. He seems to think the bile is the main cause of the horrific taste too. He told me I may have to be on Carafate for the rest of my life. That sucks....
Iva, are you still on Carafate?

Brian
Total Newbie

Post by Brian »

hey bbforyears-

As we all know it's tough getting honest feedback on this issue. I have tried to ask a few friends but I've pretty much accepted that some people notice and some people don't, but my friends and doctors probably aren't going to tell me even if they do notice something.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll get in to see the doctor about reflux soon. Let use know how your surgery goes.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Bbforyears,

Good luck with the Nissen!
Carafate did nothing for my reflux.
Have u tried taking Ursodeoxycholic acid (Ursofalk)? It is a very common treatment for bile reflux, as it reduces the amount of bile that is produced, which limits opportunities for reflux.
bbforyears

Post by bbforyears »

Iva,

I haven't tried that drug. I will ask my doctor about it. My doctor is convinced that the bile is effecting me more than the acid. This is the same doctor who initially told me that it was "impossible" to have Bile reflux when I suggested it to him. I think my case has educated him a lot, which is good because not many doctors have a clue about Bile reflux. The images from the endoscopy changed his mind real quick... I was like "I told you so! I told you so!" I think he thought I was nuts before..now he's realizing that I am not some hypochondriac...and I legitimately have issues! It has been a very frustrating journey..and I've only been openly addressing these issues for 10 months. This all started 12 years ago when virtually nothing was known about Bile reflux anywhere, so I am pretty sure it would have taken me forever to get properly diagnosed anyway. Still, I have a lot of shame for not figuring things out sooner.

Iva, how long did you suffer with LPR before you were diagnosed?
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

OMG bbforyears - I could have written your story. I too have had this bb problem since having my first born! People close to me can not smell it either - I think that they just get used to it over time. Everyone else can smell it though and it is STRONG!!! I have been told that it is like feces or garbage or sewage. I use to teach and the students 8 ft away could smell it. I have reflux that causes my throat to burn every night - worse if I have an alcoholic drink or acidic foods.

I have been diagnosed with a sliding hiatal hernia and have tried to get the Nissen surgery, but they said my esophagus/swallowing was fine. That was a few years back - now I wonder what my esophagus looks like? I am going to the doctoc tomorrow to get a barium test. This showed nothing (like yours) the first time so I am sure it will show nothing again - just a step I need to take before I can see a gastrointrologist(sp?). I really am skeptical about the surgery because like IVY said there are a lot of forums full of complaints with people in a lot of pain.

I have tried pp's, but you can't stay on those forever. Can you stay on Carafate for a long time??? I will have to research this drug. It sounds like a great thing to try. Even if you could just take it before big events and times you are having to be social. I have been taking fennel seed and breath assure tablets after I eat and it seems to help some.

I have always thought that my bb was from my tummy and now I think you have just comfirmed it. My bb was too strong and travels to far to be from my mouth or my nose.

This is a great lead - hopfully n answer to my prayers!

Thank you and PLEASE keep in touch!!!!
Last edited by TIRED on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbforyears

Post by bbforyears »

Hi Tired,
I'm not surprised that they described the smell as sewage. Many times I actually tasted sewage. As a matter of a fact I got into an argument with one of the bb doctors assistants. She asked me to describe the taste in my mouth and I said "Sewage". She said sewage is NOT a taste!!! There is NO way you could "taste" sewage! It was so frustrating because I felt like the people I sought help from thought I was crazy and I am so NOT crazy!
I want you to keep one thing in mind regarding the Nissen. I have also seen those horror stories posted all over the internet. But I have actually researched and spoken to people who had the procedure who have had great success... My thought is that if you have a successful operation you aren't likely to post anything about it on the internet. So I would guess those people are in the minority. I think if I found out 12 years ago I definitely would not have wanted the surgery. With the acid reflux epidemic there are many doctors performing this surgery all the time now.
I'm already in the minority with my strange medical condition so I hope I will be in the majority of the people who have success... :)
bbforyears

Post by bbforyears »

For more information on Bile reflux google: bile reflux mayo
rey

im cured

Post by rey »

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK BBFORYEARS FOR HER POST ABOUT "SUCRALFATE" I TRIED IT AND MY BREATH GOT IMPROVE NO MORE BAD TASTE, SOUR AND BITTER, POST NASAL DRIP ALREADY GONE. COMFORTABLE FEELING ON MY THROAT. WHAT A WONDERFUL POST. i HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMES WITH HER AND IM SUFFERING FROM HALITOSIS FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS IVE TRY ALL REMEDIES MY TONSILS ARE ALREADY REMOVE AND ALSO MY WISDOM TOOTH.

THANKS AGAIN SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IM A FILIPINO
rey

halitosis

Post by rey »

THIS IS MY EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected] once again thank you bbforyears youre my angel
bbforyears

Post by bbforyears »

I am so happy that you are cured Rey! Wow, twenty years...and I thought I had it bad with nearly 12 years! One of my long time best friends is Filipino! How cool! I would love to talk more and share our experiences! I will email you for sure!

I've been looking at this site for a couple years now but never posted anything before I found my cure. When I found my cure I could have just quietly went on with my life but my heart breaks for others afflicted with this horrible condition. I couldn't in good conscious not share my cure with others.

Wynasha, please muster up the courage to press your doctor for Carafate. It is actually fairly inexpensive. I am not aware of any harmful side effects either so he/she should have no reason to withhold it from you. If it helps you then you KNOW what is wrong with you....you have Bile Reflux in addition to Acid Reflux.

Iva, you are such a dear....your posts are full of useful information and I applaud you for coming back and sharing the information with everyone...

Tired, I am praying for you girl! I really hope this is your cure!

Praying for everyone on this site..you all DESERVE to be happy and have suffered long enough!
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

I wonder if Carafate is available on the internet without a prescriptions for some of us to try, before seeing a doctor. I want to see a doctor about my stomach and possible hiatal hernia issues, but its so stressful explaining to a doctor ( for like the hundreth time for me) my problem.
Let me know if anyone is trying it without a prescription.
bbforyears and rey... good for you!
I just had a baby a year ago, and I desperatetly want to figure out the stem of my problem before he gets old enough to not want to be near me!
I'm 33, and have had bad halitosis since I'm 18!
bbforyears, you are recommending carafate and ppi combo, correct?
bbforyears

Post by bbforyears »

Mindy,
I reflux acid and bile..

Many people have acid reflux and do not have the problem we have. This has made me come to the conclusion that the bile is what causes the bb, not so much the acid. What the acid did for me was cause my sense of smell to go haywire...the ppi's did not eliminate the horrible taste tho! They did nothing for that. The Carafate was my "wonder drug". It is possible to have bile reflux and NOT have acid reflux, which is why so many that pursue the acid reflux cause hit a dead end. Many people do reflux both though and treating the acid reflux alone does nothing for them either.

Believe me, I understand the embarrassment of trying to explain to doctors about this shameful condition. You HAVE to do it though. I spent nearly 12 years trying to cover up my condition instead of really getting down to the root cause.

Many doctors are clueless when it comes to bile reflux. If you have to --- print out what I have written here and take it to the doctor with you. A good caring doctor should be willing to explore this possibility with you.

Please don't waste any more time. Your beautiful baby deserves to have a happy mommy that doesn't constantly worry that she is "polluting" his nose with her awful smell.

This condition has crippled me from showing others the love I so desperately wanted to give them. That includes my own children. My grandmother, who was a beautiful woman died a few years ago and as she lay dying I sat across the room because I didn't want her last breaths to be filled with my stinky breath. How sad is that? I wanted to hold her and kiss her and tell her how much I loved her---yet I couldn't. It makes me bawl just thinking about it.
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

thanks bbforyears...
I know going to the doctor is the right way. I'm calling for an appt. tomorrow and will not leave until he/she helps me explore all options and test/look for bile as well as the acid.
I'm not saying that this is my problem, but I suffer MANY of the symptoms you listed. I must at least check it off my list of causes, if this is not my root.
I appreciate your posts, and all I want is to make life fabulous for my baby in every way... including when I talk with him.
I will keep you updated after I see the doctor and see what comes of it!
Mindy
bbforyears

Post by bbforyears »

Mindy,
I am so happy you are calling the doctor tomorrow..
I really hope this is your answer.
That's the right attitude..be persistent with your doctor.
Like I've said before...many of them are clueless when it comes to bile reflux. Remember to ask him for a script for Carafate in addition to the ppi's. Try it for a few days and see if it helps. Please keep us updated!
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Bbforyears,

its great your experience helps people!
What is going on with your plans for the Nissen and the Roux-n-Y?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic