Your Email Address:

First Name:

MeBO Research Testing

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
mpdela
Total Newbie

Post by mpdela »

Hi jc,

Even though the MeBO-Biolab Gut Dysbiosis Study is being conducted in London, we are now going to try to expand it to an international level in the year 2010. The only restriction we have with the 4 tests panel is that the D-lactate test requires that the blood sample be received by Biolab within 48 hours of collection. If the shipper in your country is able to guarantee delivery within this time-frame, then all four tests can be done. If not, then the following tests could be done for now:

GUT FERMENTATION TEST £44
GUT PERMEABILITY PROFILE £75
INDICANS £13
--------------------
TOTAL £132(GBP) plus shipping costs

If you would like more information about the tests, here's Biolab's website, http://www.biolab.co.uk/gut.html. You can click on the D-lactate and Gut Fermentation Protocol 'Test datasheet' and the 'Gut Permeability - patient instructions' links for more information. The Gut Permeability and Gut Fermentation Protocols must be followed precisely in order for the test to be accurate.

For more information on the study, see https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewfor ... a1FDUGc6MA.

It would be interesting to see if there are different test results in testers who have only halitosis as opposed to those who have body odor in addition to bad breath, and those who only experience body odor.

María

jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

Hi Maria,

I forgot to tell you that I use the username "jc" on this site. I use my first name in my e-mails to you. I hope everything goes well with my sister`s scheduled test in January.
Thanks so much for all your help.

Best Wishes,
JC
orange111
Junior

Post by orange111 »

hi, i have IBS (bowel problem with gluten and dairy foods) coupled with my bad breath.

im not too sure about paying to do a survey.

btw, i live in england
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

orange111 wrote:hi, i have IBS (bowel problem with gluten and dairy foods) coupled with my bad breath.

im not too sure about paying to do a survey.

btw, i live in england
Entirely understandable if you cannot afford it at this time. However, if you can afford it but can't see the value in it, appreciate that all thats happening here is you get tested and get your own specific results and feedback. Results by the way that are interpreted for you by a professional that Maria has organised to examine all test data - and for this aspect of it, there is no cost.
Otherwise, test results are being pooled - and examined to see if there are any correlations between them. As outlined above, there seems to be some similarities even in the small sample of test results so far. A bigger sampling is likely to lead to a clearer picture.
Also, be aware that a solution to this problem is unlikely to come in a box of pills right now - anything that's claiming to fix the problem more than likely (albeit not exclusively) - is snake oil.
For the solution, we have to go the long way round - and as far as I can see, Maria's initiative is the best option out there right now.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

baguio wrote:Also, be aware that a solution to this problem is unlikely to come in a box of pills right now - anything that's claiming to fix the problem more than likely (albeit not exclusively) - is snake oil.
For the solution, we have to go the long way round - and as far as I can see, Maria's initiative is the best option out there right now.
Hello Baguio,

I've read over the MeBO website that you're promoting. I admit it does look very interesting. I do believe that if halitosis is not orally related, then the gut is the second leading cause of bad breath/body odor. If I lived in the UK, I would probably myself participate in the tests. I would like to know what's going on in my gut just for the fun of it!

Looking over the MeBO website, I see that out of the 4 people who have participated in the testing, 2 of them (testers 2 and 3) had raised ethanol levels on their gut fermentation tests, which indicates a yeast overgrowth is present. Statistically speaking, 50% of your testers have had a yeast overgrowth problem.

Personally speaking, prescription anti-fungals (a box of pills) cleared my Candida infection which in turn cured my bad breath. Of course, I was lucky enough to be diagnosed with a Candida infection by my doctor. I know there are a lot of people on this forum who are having trouble getting their doctors to agree to test them for a possible Candida infection. Perhaps you would be willing to offer those people living in the UK (or those able to get the test results back to you within 48 hours) an alternative. I see the gut fermentation test you're offering is £46. That doesn't seem too bad. Are you offering any other tests that directly detect Candida, such as blood or stool tests?

Also, once you get the results from the participants, is there any medical treatment or advice given to them? Or is this just for research purposes only?

Thanks, and happy New Year!
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

KeepTrying09 wrote:If I lived in the UK, I would probably myself participate in the tests.
Its possible to get most of the tests done via the mail - and the last test is still possible IF you can get sample back to the lab within 48 hours.
If your stateside, I know there are plans to introduce testing over there - Maria will know more about that.
KeepTrying09 wrote:Looking over the MeBO website, I see that out of the 4 people who have participated in the testing, 2 of them (testers 2 and 3) had raised ethanol levels on their gut fermentation tests, which indicates a yeast overgrowth is present. Statistically speaking, 50% of your testers have had a yeast overgrowth problem.
Each tester gets individual feedback and as I was tester #1, I'm not really qualified to comment on that. My understanding is that their tests also indicated gut permeability issues.
KeepTrying09 wrote:Are you offering any other tests that directly detect Candida, such as blood or stool tests?
Once a large enough sampling of these tests has been carried out, my understanding is that a new set of tests will be proposed. This won't be something done blindly - it will be based on the outcome of the initial tests.
KeepTrying09 wrote:Also, once you get the results from the participants, is there any medical treatment or advice given to them? Or is this just for research purposes only?
Each tester gets individual feedback. Mine didn't but then whilst my test did throw up one point of interest (malabsorption related to gut permeability), there isn't enough indicators to suggest a definite treatment/course of action. I can't comment on what other testers experienced re. feedback. However, Dr. Gabashvili did take the time out to provide me with feedback directly and had follow up questions for me with regard to diet, etc. - presumably this is part of her attempt to interpret the results and draw practical conclusions. We are not there yet! This work comes first before we can expect firm treatment plans.

All I would say to you is that we are very privileged to have this opportunity - brought about by collaboration between us all, coordinated by Maria and with the assistance of an experienced and qualified medical researcher.
orange111
Junior

Post by orange111 »

where abouts in london is the clinic?

i've had chicken fillets last night, it contained dairy and gluten (should have read the packet) and today i've had diarrhoea and terrible stomach/gut pains.

bloody ibs, no rest for the wicket
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

orange111 wrote:where abouts in london is the clinic?
Pretty central, within easy reach (even for me and i'm not even in the uk :). By the way, the process itself is fairly straightforward. I was in and out of there within 30mins and straight back to gatwick on a flight home)
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

Summary of latest testers results now posted on Maria's Blog
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Very interesting. Tester #5 also had raised ethanol levels on their gut fermentation test, which indicated a yeast overgrowth.

That's 3 out of 5, or 60% of testers who have had signs of yeast overgrowth in their gut fermentation tests.

May I ask you, the gut fermentation test, is that a blood test?

Thanks for the information.
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

KeepTrying09 wrote:May I ask you, the gut fermentation test, is that a blood test?
Hi there.
The gut fermentation test is a blood test.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

Hey,

I just wanted to ask what was going on with this project? I see from the blog that you guys just had a meeting in Nashville, TN. How was it? Any information to share? Any new volunteer testers?

Any updates would be great. :)
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

KeepTrying09 wrote:Hey,

I just wanted to ask what was going on with this project? Any new volunteer testers?

Any updates would be great. :)

My sister sent her samples last February. The tests showed that she`s got yeast & bacterial overgrowth. She just sent the sample for the leaky gut test this week so Dr. G`s analysis is still pending.
KeepTrying09
Sheriff

Post by KeepTrying09 »

jc wrote:My sister sent her samples last February. The tests showed that she`s got yeast & bacterial overgrowth. She just sent the sample for the leaky gut test this week so Dr. G`s analysis is still pending.
Hey JC. Thanks for the update. :)

Let us know how her leaky gut test turns out. I wish her good luck. :D
baguio
Advanced

Post by baguio »

Folks,

the latest set of results from Mebo Testing program can be found here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic