Your Email Address:

First Name:

post nasal drip/fecal breath

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
RED1214

post nasal drip/fecal breath

Post by RED1214 »

hey i've been coming on here for a while now but have only just joined. i can't believe how many other people are suffering with this. it's a relief in a way but it makes me real sad that there are other people out there having to go through all this all day every day like me. i have like a fecal kind of breath and have done since i was a kid. does anybody know if post nasal drip could cause this kind of breath? or acid reflux/silent reflux? i have something in my throat a lot of the time which causes me to swallow constantly as well as losing my voice/hoarseness ocassionally. i'm real sorry for all the questions but i really need some help. answers would be much appreciated. thank you so much

deebo

post nasal drip/fecal bb

Post by deebo »

i think that is exactly what i have too. I dont think i have reflux but I find myself clearing my throat often .The back of my mouth is often dry but with a feeling that there is mucus in the throat that can't be swallowed or coughed out either.
I snore too so that may indicate something. I have tried nasal drips with h2o2 and saltwater . Just dries everything out worse. I'm wondering if a low processed carb and low salt diet will help. I just saw that tip on Magnolia bark extract and found out certain eclipse gum has Magnolia bark in it. I will try it and see today. I know sugarless gum helps a bit,so I'm hoping MBE (magnolia bark extract) will help more. *fingers crossed*
deebo

Re: post nasal drip/fecal breath

Post by deebo »

RED1214 wrote: " ...as well as losing my voice/hoarseness ocassionally. "

I have the same thing with the voice coming and going also. I have 2 siblings . 1 also has the hoarseness as I do but no BB like me. The other sibling has BB but no hoarseness . Me and the sibling with BB both have social anxiety disorder ,which causes dry mouth and of course the "lump in the throat" . 1 is a vegetarian and I'm not. That sibling grew up in a different country than me so I doubt the link is environmental . I assume its more genetic and how we process foods . We both have sinus issues from birth .
I have a digestive issue that I'm told stems from taking oral antibiotics for a few years for a skin issue. That was a terrible mistake . I now take a topical for it. I found out the hard way that young DR.s are very prone to push pills because they get a cut of referrals and their still paying off school bills.

Anyway, neither of my siblings have the digestive issue like me but 1 has the fecal bb , and the other has the skin issue but not bb . All 3 of us produce way too much phlegm and are always clear our throats. Only 1 of us lucked out with no bb ... Strange .
PR1988

Post by PR1988 »

@red:
sound like you have acid reflux symptoms. the feelin in the throat is it like as if you had something stuck and cant get it out. i have the same feelin. im sure i have acid reflux but i havnt been officialyl diagnosed with it. but im takin Zantac right now and see wat happends.

@red and @deebo can ya smell yas own breath?
RED1214

Post by RED1214 »

hi PR1988. yes it is like i have something in my throat but no matter how much/hard i swallow, how much i drink it won't go. i can smell my own breath when i breathe into my hand and sniff or when i lick my wrist and smell it. but i can't smell it if i'm just sitting there.

Deebo, it is really strange how we have exactly the same symptoms. do you mind telling me what u have done so far to try and find the cause?

thanks so much to both of you for replying :)
deebo

Unreached dry phlegm"Crack Seed"PND,Swallow or Spi

Post by deebo »

RED1214 wrote: Deebo, it is really strange how we have exactly the same symptoms. do you mind telling me what u have done so far to try and find the cause?
This will be a long 1.

Hello Red. I think from my Moms side ,there is a sinus defect. Her Mother, My Mom , Me and my Siblings all have Post nasal . But my Mom ,Grandma and 1 sibling dont have bb . We are all 'throat clearers' .My grandma is known to carry a handkerchief napkin and spit in it since I can remember .I recall how my sibs and cousins would snicker that Grandma always cleared her throat and spit. We would never dare pilferage her purse,because of the famous evil spit Napkins ! My Mom doesn't carry the napkin but does spit as 1 sibling does without bb.
This has me thinking a few things: Does spitting help curb bb? Sometimes after a cold we get really hard ,dark phlegm that doesn't smell good. Its really hard to get it all out too. I'm thinking that Post nasal drip can dry and cause this hard layer in the back of the throat. I noticed on recordings where I was filming that I was constantly clearing my throat but never spitting just swallowing, one other sibling with bb does the same thing, I suspect it Never goes down ,just sits there (lump) and Putrefies. We both have anxiety so we are prone to dry mouth, which may be unrelated but I think it can't help bb. That sibling brushes and flosses and all that as I do . But I think ,contrary to marketing ploys ,this type of bb is behind where brushes ,tongues scrapers, mouthwashes...etc can possible or safely reach.
Sometimes, after the whole brushing ,scraping,mouthwashing attack I stick my tongue out as far as possible and can just taste and smell a little bit of the bad BB. So this tells me the problem is WAY back there. Sometimes when I just wake up ,I can cough out some of the hard dark phlegm or ever a tonsil stone maybe loosened from snoring . Yea , I know its gross and all , but it makes me wish I could just get in there with a roto rooter and scour the stuff out.
I was driving with a friend and when he took a drink of water and then talked I could smell his fecal bb. I noticed the same for myself ,thinking that drinking water during a conversation would help . It may help after eating a meal to wash the food smell down but it seems to only wash the natural flora away and the hard sticky stuff I suspect is exposed by the water !
I have noticed that Gum helps a little because it prompts saliva . I have used chewing tobacco years ago and never had bb during use, aside from the chew smell . Someone wrote on here about fruit rinds. Growing up around Asian culture I know this may be something to check into. A friend told me how "Crack seed"(Asian dried fruit candy) help wash a cold down the throat. LINK> http://www.crackseedcenter.com
I will try a few type and post the result. There are dozens of types.. ginger, dried lemon peel... . I haven't had any in years but recall how my mouth would explode with saliva all day long while sucking on them . Any good Asian market will have a huge variety. I'll see and tell if something works.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi deebo. I have often wondered whether the connection between ordinary PND and BB might be whether its swallowed or not. My mom has always had PND and always had BB as far back as I can remember UNTIL a few years ago when she had all her teeth taken out and NEVER EVER has BB anymore. She still has PND but she tends to spit it into a napkin too, as she always has. She used to make us laugh years ago when she'd be driving and suddenly stop the car without warning and open the door and spit into the curb. Mucus is mostly made up of protein I believe, and the body is used to "recycling" normal amounts of mucus as we naturally swallow it. But maybe when its excessive the body gets overloaded and I can think of several ways how a consequence of this could lead to BB. I have a mild case of PND due to a deviated septum and chronic rhinitis. But the mucus itself never smells and its not all that thick and most of the time there isnt a great deal of it, unless my nose gets irritated and then its like a fountain.

I'd love to know what this lump in the throat is. Could it just be irritated membranes? Could it just be the thick coating right at the back of the tongue which is out of reach? Does anyone no longer have their tonsils but still get the lump feeling?
deebo

To Spit or Not to Spit...

Post by deebo »

Interesting Hali. I had 2 roommates and 1 would grunt or cough up phlegm all night and keep us awake trying to swallow it ,until my other roommate said "Dude.. go spit that stuff out!" . He actually made him stay in the bathroom for like 5 minutes and hock up,snort, blow it all out . After that we all slept soundly. I then learned that some of us just can't swallow it down. Then again none of us had noticeable BB then .
I guess a lot depend on whats in the spit or throat. I just read Keeptrying09's candida post. that brought up even more question about a BB cause or cure.
mitc

Post Nasal Drip and Bad Breath

Post by mitc »

I expect a beating over this.
If you let me speak there is a way clean the whole sinus system.
It’s best done before you go to bed.
Take a small glass of warm water mix 2 teaspoons of plain salt.
Find something you can use to pour solution into each nostril like a large syringe without the needle.
Now take a hot shower, tilt head back and pour the solution into each nostril till full, now hold your nostrils closed and bend down till you’re looking at your crotch keep holding your nostril closed for 30 seconds now stand up blow your nose very gently. A lot of the solution is now in your upper sinus and will begin cleaning your whole sinus. Do this each night till you’re sure your sinus is clear then do once or twice a week. Please make an effort to do this as I know it clears the sinus and ends Post Nasal Drip. This can stop other problems as it reduces bacteria’s food source. I hope this helps you.
There’s a lot of science to this but I know you’ve had enough of me already so I won’t go into it.
me
Advanced

Post by me »

In my opinion pnd is not the cause of fecal breath. I think that fecal breath is cause by something in the digestive system. Pnd could somehow be related because of the swalloing of mucus maybe upsetting your stomach or somthing like that. But in my opinion pnd it is definetly not the cause of Fecal breath.
becca123
Total Newbie

Post by becca123 »

Hi there i think i might have the same problem please let me know if you have found a cure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic