Your Email Address:

First Name:

Aydin Murat's Causes of Bad Breath

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Phantasist
Sheriff

Aydin Murat's Causes of Bad Breath

Post by Phantasist »

According to Aydin Murat, the microbiologist in Turkey, there are 5 types of malodor:

Type-1 halitosis takes origin from tongue dorsum. Foods are turned aromatic-volatile compounds by anaerobic bacteria between papillae.

Type-2 halitosis takes origin from around the oral cavity. Paranasal sinuses, Waldeyer's lymphoid ring, retronasal mucosa, oropharynx etc.

Type-3 halitosis takes origin from gastrointestinal tract. Reflux, H. pylori gastritis, bacterial overgrowth, malabsorptions, intestine and colon diseases.

Type-4 halitosis takes origin from blood gases. Many catabolic substances leave the body via renal or hepatic ways. If liver and/or kidneys can not truly filter them, this catabolic waste may resolve in blood plasm and enter the systemic blood circulation. Lungs try to filter and exhale them via breath. They may have a bad odor. This causes bad breath.

Type-5 Psychologic

Aydin Murat seems to know quite a bit about this subject and makes a lot of sense, although I'm a little in doubt about number 5.

I bet that 90% of us fall into category 1, possibly in combination with category 2.

shmooze

Re: Aydin Murat's Causes of Bad Breath

Post by shmooze »

Phantasist wrote:According to Aydin Murat, the microbiologist in Turkey, there are 5 types of malodor:

Type-1 halitosis takes origin from tongue dorsum. Foods are turned aromatic-volatile compounds by anaerobic bacteria between papillae.

Type-2 halitosis takes origin from around the oral cavity. Paranasal sinuses, Waldeyer's lymphoid ring, retronasal mucosa, oropharynx etc.

Type-3 halitosis takes origin from gastrointestinal tract. Reflux, H. pylori gastritis, bacterial overgrowth, malabsorptions, intestine and colon diseases.

Type-4 halitosis takes origin from blood gases. Many catabolic substances leave the body via renal or hepatic ways. If liver and/or kidneys can not truly filter them, this catabolic waste may resolve in blood plasm and enter the systemic blood circulation. Lungs try to filter and exhale them via breath. They may have a bad odor. This causes bad breath.

Type-5 Psychologic

Aydin Murat seems to know quite a bit about this subject and makes a lot of sense, although I'm a little in doubt about number 5.

I bet that 90% of us fall into category 1, possibly in combination with category 2.
Dosen't make sense a classification based on the origin of halitosis, IMHO. Very often cause for halitosis is the same for many of the above points: people with Candida halitosis get white coated tongue, candida infection in the esophagus, sinusitis, colon irritability.
The real classification should be based on the cause of halitosis, but sadly modern medicine is not well aware of them. The difficulty arise because a big amount effects prevent a full understanding of the origin of a disease and too often medicine try to remove/cure effects when the real cause is still there.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

Phantasist wrote:According to Aydin Murat, the microbiologist in Turkey, there are 5 types of malodor:

Type-1 halitosis takes origin from tongue dor....snip...
Yes. In my halitosis text book, I have used this classification with a little difference.

Type-0 halitosis = means no halitosis or physiologic halitosis.

A case may be single type or multi type halitosis . For example a case may be diagnosed as follow:
Type 4 halitosis or
Type 3+1 halitosis
Type 2+4+1 halitosis

You are correct. Many literatur and statistics say that greatest percentage of halitosis patients have tongue malodor. Believe or not, I rarely see type 1 halitosis cases in my clinics.

- Murat Aydin
sweetnlow

Post by sweetnlow »

aydinmur, what type of bad breath do you see the most?
sputnik
Junior

Post by sputnik »

That's a good question. What are the most common causes for bad breath in your clinic and how do you treat them?

I really enjoy your posts by the way.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

My personal but not officially statistics

Babies never have halitosis.
Young people -> Type 2
20 -30 years old -> Type 2+3
30-50 yers old - > Type 3 + 4
Over 50 -> Type 4 (type 1 and 2 disappear if any)
Women who are not young, not married, educated -> Type 5
Boys who are young, introvert, shy -> Type 5
Men who live alone -> type 5

Recent year 2 of my patients was Type 1.

By the way, Many patients visit at least ~5 doctor before come to me. Perhaps type 1 cases are eliminated by other doctors.

- Murat Aydin
sputnik
Junior

Post by sputnik »

That very interesting, especially the type 5 for single educted women and men who live alone.

I'd like to know what your success rate is for curing or treating type 1 through 4 halitosis. Can you cure all of them or are there some types of bad breath that have no cure.

Thanks
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

sputnik wrote:That very interesting, especially the type 5 for single educted women and men who live alone.

I'd like to know what your success rate is for curing or treating type 1 through 4 halitosis. Can you cure all of them or are there some types of bad breath that have no cure.

Thanks
No hope most of type 5 cases. They dont believe that they are not sick.

Type 1 cases easy heal. They dont come to me. Other type of halitosis cases may or may not be satisfactorly cured. Depends on diagnosis
-Murat
sadman
Advanced

Post by sadman »

Aydinmur said :
Perhaps type 1 cases are eliminated by other doctors.
Since 80-90% of halitosis is type 1 according to most literature , what you said means that the doctors or dentists in your country already have a cure for type 1 halitosis . Can you kindly tell us what treatment do you and your colleagues use for type 1 which I think is the hardest type to treat ? Thx
chattycathy
Total Newbie

Post by chattycathy »

Have any of you tried the low glycemic diet that balances insulin in the bloodstream. Try the Zone Diet and get back to me. It may clear up the problem for some people in 3 to 4 days.
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

sadman wrote:you said means that the doctors or dentists in your country already have a cure for type 1 halitosis . Can you kindly tell us what treatment do you and your colleagues use for type 1 which I think is the hardest type to treat ? Thx
No special applications is used. Oral hygen is elevated with use of known procedures. Tongue brushing with zinc containin products are advised. For example: http://agizkokusu.net/cinkolu-macun.html This is enough to eliminate halitosis if it is Type 1.

chattycathy wrote:Have any of you tried the low glycemic diet that balances insulin in the bloodstream. Try the Zone Diet and get back to me. It may clear up the problem for some people in 3 to 4 days.
I discourage people to alter their diet patterns in order to eliminate their halitosis.
Not good.

- Murat Aydin
GoodLuck!

Post by GoodLuck! »

Hi!

First i want to say thanks for your contributions. It is truely valuable to have such an educated person on the subject assist the community.

I hope you can take a brief look into my case and see if you can add some advice.

I believe my BB falls into this category. I`ve produced to much mucus since i was a small kid. After removing a nasal polyp when i was a child, the level of nasal mucus went from extreme to a lot. It is causing post nasal drips (mucus flowing from my nasal passages to my throat).

I did a CT a couple of years back. I still have a polyp in the left max. sinus, about 2cm diameter but it is located in such a way that it doesn`t block any air passage. Hence the doctors said it causes absolutely no harm and didn`t want to proceed with a surgery. They instead performed a deviated septum surgery which didn`t help.

Any advice?

Regards,

Goodluck!
angst-ridden
Advanced

Post by angst-ridden »

Hi Dr. Murat. Ive been suffering from BB since i was 17. Im not sure which type i belong to, i dunno if its type 1 or type 2. Im 25 years old now, ive been to a dentist, an internist, and an ENT, but they cant find anything wrong with me. I dont feel any discomfort in my body, i dont have post nasal drip. But i have acquired this rotten egg smell. Sometimes it shifts to fecal smell if my mouth is super dry. Any input you may have on my condition is most welcome since im doing everything possible to improve my condition. Thanks in advance.
angst-ridden
Advanced

Post by angst-ridden »

Hi Dr. Murat. Ive been suffering from BB since i was 17. Im not sure which type i belong to, i dunno if its type 1 or type 2. Im 25 years old now, ive been to a dentist, an internist, and an ENT, but they cant find anything wrong with me. I dont feel any discomfort in my body, i dont have post nasal drip. But i have acquired this rotten egg smell. Sometimes it shifts to fecal smell if my mouth is super dry. Any input you may have on my condition is most welcome since im doing everything possible to improve my condition. Thanks in advance.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Dr Murat
You really know what you are talking about. Most Dr who claim to have cure for halitosis talk about the same bacteria bacteria stuff which most of us already know.

You are the first person to answer some of the questions i have been asking in my head.

I realized that I had most of the symptoms that people described on this board even though they all don't happen at the same time. It made me wonder if my was a special case.

Now I believe i have been moving back and forth between Type 1 to 2 to 3 .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic