Your Email Address:

First Name:

Smelly tongue

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Mike987,
I'm pretty convinced that there is a strong connection between a white coating on the tongue and bad breath. I'm not saying don't use a brush to get the coating off. I scrape and brush my tongue practically every day. What I'm saying is that there must be some underlying reason why we have this white crap on our tongues when most people don't have it. As long as there is a problem in our bodies that causes this, the white coating will always come back within a few hours.
I could be totally wrong about this, but since quite a few members of this forum have said that their breath has a fecal odor, I would not be too surprised if the problem is in the intestines. You know there is such a thing as small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Lots of people have white tongues, but no BB... lots of people have tonsils (possibly cryptic) and no BB..

BECAUSE we have BB, having a white tongue (bacteria stacked on bacteria) is worse for us than regular white tongues... Because we have BB, having tonsils is even worse for us.

Assuming it's a bacteria problem, any source or unclean spot in the mouth can become a zone we often relate to BB, a place that affects us much more than it affects those without BB problems. Lots of people have bad oral hygiene, but still don't have BB like we do...
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Mike987,
Forget about the "unclean spot" in the mouth. Everybody has unclean spots in the mouth. And yes, there are people who have a white tongue and no BB, and there are people who have tonsil problems and no BB. And there are probably people who have sinus infections and heliobacter pylori and don't have bad breath. And there are people with bad oral hygiene and they still don't have bad breath, as you said.
Doesn't all that evidence tell you something? Doesn't that logically mean that we have some underlying problem that causes the bad breath (and possibly the white coating on the tongue since so many of us have that too). Of course there are bacteria involved - we already know that. But why do most people automatically control their anaerobic bacteria and we don't? As far as I'm concerned, the antibacterial components in the saliva and possibly the wrong bacteria in the intestines are my main two suspects.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

.... just leave your tongue alone for one week and see if your BB is any worse. I'm so glad I've stopped brushing my tongue.... if anything my breath has improved and I now have more time to do other stuff rather than practising intense oral hygiene regimes which just don't work. Leave it alone for a week and see what happens, what have you got to lose?
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

You stopped brushing your tongue???

Seriously? I'm guessing it weakened your BB? So you're suggesting using things like 'the tongue brush' or just using a plain tooth brush to brush your tongue actually increases BB??

I don't know about this at all. This is just about a stone throw away from saying 'don't brush your teeth'

But tell me how it's working for you.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Mike, the very act of scraping or brushing the tongue actually stimulates it into growing a thicker coating as a protective mechanism.

And by removal/disturbance of the bacterial balance on your tongue you are constantly giving the yeast in your mouth the upper hand, which further adds to the coating problem.

The lightest scraping with a spoon or proper blade-type scraping device is all you should be doing to your tongue to give it the best chance to help itself reduce its odour.

And isnt it a surprise that 'professionals' who sell us crap that doesnt work tell us to scrape and scrape and scrape, because they want you to find yourself in that perpetual losing battle that only their products can save you from.

And who can absolutely say on here that there is any net improvement to their breath by going through the intense oral hygiene regimens each day that most people describe on here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic