Your Email Address:

First Name:

Finally I have a diagnosis, SIBO and PND

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Renato
Junior

Finally I have a diagnosis, SIBO and PND

Post by Renato »

I started a topic some months ago:

viewtopic.php?t=2911&start=0

I swore to have a silent reflux problem, because the sensation of fluids in my esophagus and throat almost all the time, but worse after eating and when lying down.

My last endoscopy revealed nothing, even that the endoscopy showed little white spots in my esophagus, but the biopsy found nothing. However other tests detected that the fluid sensation I have had, were actually a lot of gases passing from my stomach through my esophagus.

As I said before; I have been tested for acid reflux, polyps, H pylori, hypochloridia, silent reflux, etc.(all negative)

But finally after all the tests. My new GE doctor found that I have Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).

After just 20 minutes of starting my test, hydrogen and butane was detected in high levels, In fact at the same time of my test other patients were also tested, but they had normal low levels.

Also my new ENT doctor also detected a lot of mucus in my throat which correlated with my PND symptoms, which I had since 1 year ago after over using Hydrogen Peroxide. She prescribed my a steroid spray and antibiotics for 25 days and after that I will have a CT scan.

I have been taking the antibiotics and the spray for a week now, but my PND still there. I just had a little reduction on my BB.

I have stated today my prescription to control the SIBO, so I will let you now if this will control my fluid/gases sensation in the esophagus and the BB I suffer since three decades ago.

Im happy that I finally the cause of my BB.

My GE told me to identify now the cause of SIBO on me.

PND does not cause BB if you do not have abnormal bacterial ecosytem, however if other conditions exist as SIBO, it is fuel for bacteria in mouth, tongue, throat, esophagus, stomach, and small intestine.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Renato what drugs/methods are being used to treat your SIBO?
Well done btw on getting your diagnosis, hope this is it for you after your long battle.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Renato,
First let me say that I am glad that you finally have a diagnosis. I have long suspected that there could be an intestinal problem that causes bad breath, but I mostly suspected the colon, and from what you say the bacterial overgrowth is in the small intestine. This is very interesting. It also makes sense that post nasal drip by itself doesn't cause bad breath. After all, a lot of people have some PND and don't have bad breath. Please let us know how your doctor is treating SIBO and if this is actually working as a cure.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
malory
Master
sibo and pnd

Post by malory »

Good luck with your cure Renato. Your bb causes sound very similar to what I suspect mine might be. I also have dysbiosis or SIBO and post nasal drip.
What did the gastro say about the white spots on the oesphagus though?
Keep us informed of your progress.
Renato
Junior

Xifaxan

Post by Renato »

Im taking Xifaxan 550mg, this is an antibiotic which is not absorbed for the intestine, it stays in the intestine to battle bacteria.

It could be used for long term with little side effects since does not reach the blood.

Im going to start my second day with this medicine. SO far the bloating that I have every meal seems to be reduced and my BB in 50%. Hope this is long lasting effect.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Renato,
Thanks for posting the latest info. This sounds very promissing. If the Xifaxan treatment works, it will be a definite indication that an overgrowth of the bad bacteria in the intestines can cause bad breath, despite the fact that doctors deny this.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Makes sense. Food intolerances and/or malabsorption can lead to SIBO... in my case that is the issue. I have not gone back to the doc after my hydrogen results, but I imagine, if I brought up your experience, they might try to prescribe something similar. I might just make an appointment. Maybe see if there's any correlation between 2 test subjects.
brightonguy
Advanced

Post by brightonguy »

Renato, great to hear that your BB was reduced by 50% initially!! How have things progressed since then?
Renato
Junior

Post by Renato »

I have been taking xixafan for some days now and my BB still there. although people tolerate more my breath.

As I said before my BB may be fecal (unable to smell it), but also is cheese(able to smelli it), which get worse after brushing and tongue scrapping due to PND.

I also think that my fecal breath has decreased due to the Xixafan, but the BB due to PND still there because xixafan is not systemic and it is eliminated as soon the food moves to the rectum, in fact the antibiotic works better taking it after meals than with food.

My ENT precribed me fluticasone and cefuroxime axetil (two times a day) for 1 month in the case my PND was caused by respiratory bacterial infection.However, it did not help on my PND or BB ( I have been taking it for almost 20 days now).

I'm not familiar with PND, since I just paid attention to it 6 months ago.

I can place a finger in my throat where nose and throat meet together and smell it as putrefacted cheese. Every time I chew somethinmg I can feel this driping in my throat.

Im so confused about this PND,since I can breath normally, I dont have stuffy or rinning nose, in fact my nose is always clear dried out.

I hope the CT scan I will have this 28th will tell me if there is some issues with my sinuses.

I will also ask for antifungals in the case beside SIBO, may have fungal overgrowth.
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

Renato - this is so interesting. I too have many of the same symptoms. Please keep us posted on your results.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I also think there could be a connection here.
Renato
Junior

SIBO and PND

Post by Renato »

Ok.

I have finished my antibiotic treatment for SIBO (20 days).

My BB still there in a 60% I think. however the treatment helped me to reduce bloating and the reflux sensation I had before( gases passing through my esophagus).

Although I felt reduced BB when breathing out deeply from my insides, I still have very bad taste, and secretion feeling on my back throat (must to be PND), specially every time I eat/chew something. Also I can smell this putrefact cheese odor directly from my saliva some time after mouth cleaning.

I can wipe my throat to remove saliva or mucus from there to reduce the bad taste, but some time afterwards the bad odor intensifies and I start smelling it through my nose also. Interestingly, now since I'm wiping the saliva/mucus from throat many time during the day, I know that the bad odor from my nose originates from the throat when air is passing toward my nose.

Although I was diagnosed with SIBO, I strongly suspect of fungus overgrowth too.

I will talk to my doctor to ask for non systemic antifungals, which work in the intestine but are not adsorbed for the body. I hope this will reduce my BB further.

I found an interesting information in the site below with respect of these antifungals.

http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment-op ... treatment/

I will keep in touch.

[/url]
Renato
Junior

CT

Post by Renato »

I finally had my CT scan last friday. The same day my ENT doctor told me the CT scan was normal, did not show any abnormality in my sinuses. I told her that the antibiotics and fluticasone propionate she prescribed me did not help at all.

I have no tonsils and my adenoide tonsil is gone, however she noticed with the intranasal scope that my lingual tonsil was inflamed (the tonsil on the tongue base). This is not rare since I have always had Bad odor from there because the bacterial activity.

I have asked the posibility of removing this lingual tonsil or perhaps to flatten it with the laser to stop the bacterial activity, which will further stop the PND.

She told me to discuss that in the next visit, but after a treatment with a more potent anti inflammatory; prednisone. She also prescribed me ranitidine to stop the stomach acid caused for the prednisone.

I have been taking it now for three day, the PND was just slightly reduced, however my BB intensified, since it is causing me acid reflux, even if I have been taking ranitidin.

This confirmed one time more that the main source of my BB is digestive tract.

I know that removing my lingual tonsil will reduce my BB for a while until bacteria or fungus find another place were to multiply hidden, perhaps esophagus, which I already suspect..

However I have to try everything, so removing my lingual tonsil and to control the SIBO (bacterial or fungal) are in my plans.

I will find my treatment with prednisone if 5 days and will post If this finally help.

PS. I have told my ENT about my BB. She was sitting a meter across me. She asked me if somebody has complained about my BB, I told her that many people (although by the classical reactions). SO I asked her if she has noticed my BB. She nervously told me that she did not detect anything, but she finished saying that it dependes of the sensibility of every person. She also asked the nurse to give me a smell test, which basically consisted in scrapping an odor paper and smelling after that, and checking one option among many possibilities, I did that with no problems since I'm not bad in my smelling sense.

The more frustrating thing is that some minutes afterwards I met the people in my job and again the same reactions. Shit!, No doubt about it.

XIxafan helped me somehow but this "real" acid reflux by taking prednisone is trashing all previous efforts out.
joselsuescun
Total Newbie

Post by joselsuescun »

MOHAMMAD: I am having difficulties managing forums. I never know if I am going to go where I want. I read your post and your problems. I was there too. One day, finally, I was able to diagnose myself, took one day treatment and got cured. I am choosing you, as the person to try it, as somebody in the forum suggested, and then, if successful, we will notify everybody. To make sure we do not lose contact, please, email me to [email protected] ASAP.
Best regards
Jose L. Suescun, M.D.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Renato,

I `ve also thought about removing the lingual tonsil, but for someone whose bb may be caused by reflux, this is no answer.Moreover, this removal may worsen the situation, I`ve discussed it with an ENT
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic