Your Email Address:

First Name:

Root canals cause bad breath?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
OneDay111
Sheriff

Root canals cause bad breath?

Post by OneDay111 »

Would root canals cause bad breath. After all your keeping a dead tooth in your mouth surely it would smell?

One Day One Day....
john
Junior

Post by john »

wat do you mean , a infected rootcanal or one that has been cleaned and filled
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

I know plenty of people who have had root canals and don't have bad breath. Teeth by themselves don't produce odor.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
whatevz

Post by whatevz »

I'm sure active tooth decay does, but not a root canal that is uninfected/in working order lol. But, root canals have the tendency to get infected, and if a rootcanal does cause BB.. it's probably because of an infection! Make sure you check your mouth for some tiny holes haha, I didn't realize mine was draining my tooth infection into my mouth, and I had no idea! Like Doc. Aydinmur said, a tooth infection can cause an abcess, which is not exposed to the mouth. However, I didn't know I had one because it was draining, and thus I didn't feel any symptoms or pain. Definitely get those canals checked out though!
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

If root canals are not done properly they can end up becoming a cause of BB.

I wonder if its possible for an asymptomatic abscess which doesnt leak into the mouth, whether it can leak skank into the bloodstream where it leads to bloodborne BB? Aydimur is this heard of? So many people on here have other unexplained health symptoms, could be a connection.
bbuk

Post by bbuk »

whatevz wrote:I'm sure active tooth decay does, but not a root canal that is uninfected/in working order lol. But, root canals have the tendency to get infected, and if a rootcanal does cause BB.. it's probably because of an infection! Make sure you check your mouth for some tiny holes haha, I didn't realize mine was draining my tooth infection into my mouth, and I had no idea! Like Doc. Aydinmur said, a tooth infection can cause an abcess, which is not exposed to the mouth. However, I didn't know I had one because it was draining, and thus I didn't feel any symptoms or pain. Definitely get those canals checked out though!
Is it obvious if you have a tooth infection?

Many years ago my top rear molar losts it filling which was not replaced till a month later. Could something have gotten I side and started to rot/get infected despite being filled later? I cant see or smell anything around there so am I barking up the wrong tree?

Wondering wheter to get this molar looked into.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Sorry to butt in on this, but I just want to mention that there are many on here who report BB starting when they've neglected a decaying tooth which they havent dealt with promptly, and the BB continuing even after they've had the tooth filled etc, as though something has gone catastrophically wrong with their microbial flora, when it probabaly hasnt.
whatevz

Post by whatevz »

bbuk wrote:
Is it obvious if you have a tooth infection?

Many years ago my top rear molar losts it filling which was not replaced till a month later. Could something have gotten I side and started to rot/get infected despite being filled later? I cant see or smell anything around there so am I barking up the wrong tree?

Wondering wheter to get this molar looked into.

When I had mine, I had absolutely no idea. I felt no pain because it was draining into my mouth. If you did have the filling fixed, I feel like you would be able to feel the pressure from the infection! The one symptom that made sense to my dentist was that I had a bad taste in my mouth, she said usually bad taste is a sign of infection (obviously there are other reasons, but infection is one of them). After having my infected tooth removed, my mouth tastes neutral all day, even after a stinky meal lol

This site helped me pinpoint the problem
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Do-You-Cure ... -Infection
Check it out! Obviously, like Hali said, your BB isn't always attributed to this. But, there are people who have been cured from this... so check it out!
BBsucks

Post by BBsucks »

halitosisux wrote:Sorry to butt in on this, but I just want to mention that there are many on here who report BB starting when they've neglected a decaying tooth which they havent dealt with promptly, and the BB continuing even after they've had the tooth filled etc, as though something has gone catastrophically wrong with their microbial flora, when it probabaly hasnt.
Uh huh, this is what happened to me :( My Mom neglected to take me to the dentist for a broken tooth at age 13. It got so bad that it smelled poopy when I touched it. At age 22 when I got my first job (and my own insurance) I had it pulled (root canal wasn't even an option). And I'm 30 now, go to the dentist every 6 months and smell like shit. UGGG.
OneDay111
Sheriff

Post by OneDay111 »

If root canal gets re-infected, it's very difficult to pick up on the xray, because theres no pulp/nerve to get inflamed. The only way it would get picked up is it has reached a severe level.

Theres alot of major root canal controversies, search them up. Fillings definatly dont cause bad breath in everyone, however it may disturb some peoples mouth.
One Day One Day....
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

I am bringing up this older thread as I just had a tooth extracted today. It was a tooth that had a previous root canal and crown. I had no pain from it. I was finally able to get to the dentist for a cleaning and x-rays and they discovered an abcsess on the root of this tooth. I asked the dentist about my breath, he said he could not smell anything (I find many say this) due to his allergies (his nose was stuffy). I advised him that I also was told I likely have LPR reflux. He noted acid erosion on my teeth and acidic saliva. I am trying to reduce my Prilosec as this is causing trouble in fully digesting foods and nutrients. When he pulled the tooth there was a cyst there they had to dig out. This tooth is/was the second mollar from the back and the roots reach up towards the nose. I also have more work that needs to be done, replace a poor crown and another tooth with an amalgam filling as the tooth is cracking. Money is a factor right now so first things first.
I have been put on amoxicillin (28) tablets.1 every eight hours until done. My questions are could this abcsess finally seen on x-ray be the cause of my coated tongue, bad taste and likely very bad breath? The dentist said it could help but he did not think it was the major cause. Also, he is the first to have seen very small tonsil stones. No dentist or doc saw these before. Could this fix my problem? How do I get rid of the stones when I cannot see them? What causes them? Gerd? Tooth infection? Will the antibiotic knock them out? Is this just going to be a wait and see? I know Halitosisux got his cure from a wisdom tooth. What about an abcsess? These can spread throughout the body. Could it cause sinus infection and sinus bad breath? I am hopeful this will help. Thanks all!
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I don't know whether it's just a coincidence, but my problem wisdom tooth was on my right side - and while I still had tonsils, it was always my right one which produced the biggest stones and the more potent odours.

My left side hardly produced any stones and almost smelled normal. Yet both tonsils looked identical.

Just have to wait and see what happens following your treatment. Fingers crossed.
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

Thanks Halitosisux - today is day two, still on antibiotics and will be for awhile. The dentist found a cyst in there which apparently form when the abcsess has been ongoing. As it is maxillary and the roots aim up at the sinus, I have read it is possible for this to cause a sinus infection. If this has been ongoing without pain, couldn't it possibly have started these small tonsil stones too? It sounds like your wisdom tooth behaved in a similar way with the stones, correct? I just had him pull it, dig out the cyst and am holding off on any restoration as I want the infection gone. Thanks Halitosisux, fingers crossed!!! Also, I was told I may have reflux LPR type too which makes things more confusing for me. I am trying to come off Prilosec now. Sheesh. I do get reactions, constant nose rubs, most every time. I have stopped drinking but still see these so often. Throat clearing. Was your tongue coated before along with the stones and are these things gone now?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yes, roots of upper teeth can be so high that they can sometimes invade the sinuses. If you have a cyst or abscess then that could quite easily happen to anyone. I would guess that an xray would be able to show any such situations.

We should all look at tonsil stones as a sign that the body is fighting something, rather than anything being wrong with any part of the lymphatic system. Removing tonsils to get rid of stones is like silencing a fire alarm to deal with a fire.

I wish I still had my tonsils so I could tell you how they ended up relating to everything that happened in my own case. My right side tonsil produced the most stench and stones, and I'm certain that it's no coincidence that my wisdom tooth which reduced my BB by 99% after having it extracted, was also on my right side.

LPR may relate to nose rubs because of the fact it's acid vapours that are rising out into your breath. Acid may also cause chemical reactions that release irritating gases. These gases may not smell of anything, but nevertheless they may be irritating to the nose of others in your vicinity. This would explain why PATM (People Are Alleric To Me) is sometimes associated with having BB, and sometimes isn't. The LRP may lead to various causes of BB or may simply exacerbate other causes.

BB will often have multiple causes that conspire together in this way.

Try not to focus on tongue coatings or the appearance of your tongue. Again, it's just another symptom which may or may not be relating to any BB. It's easy to start obsessing about it. It's not even clear whether any odours present on the tongue have any significance. So this could be quite misleading to many sufferers.
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

halitosisux wrote: I'm certain that it's no coincidence that my wisdom tooth which reduced my BB by 99% after having it extracted, was also on my right side. .
Do you believe that your WT was the cause of your bb? How many wisdom teeth do you still have? And you say you're 99% which is so close to being cured, what makes you feel that you still have 1% of bb left? do u have bad taste in your mouth? or do you get reactions from people?

I wish removing my Wt's solved my issue but unfortunately it didn't which leaves me wondering what could be causing it!

So happy for you though, it's proof that one day we will all 'hopefully' find our cures.

:)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic