Your Email Address:

First Name:

private tonsillectomy?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
danger
Master

private tonsillectomy?

Post by danger »

does anybody know how much,roughly, a private tonsillectomy is in the uk?

i dont know if it has anything to do with my bad breath(i cant see any tonsil stones) but i have a really sore thoat again. i seem to get a sore throat every 6 weeks-2 months which lasts about 5 days to a week. just to stop getting these sore throats would make it worth it, if it makes my mouth feel fresher it would be a bonus. obviously i would prefer to get them out on the NHS but i have read they are very reluctant to take tonsils out, especially on adults

bbuk

Post by bbuk »

Had mine done privately but was paid for by my medical insurance.

Although only 6 months ago, I dont remember the exact figure on the invoice. I think it was around £4000. I think the procedure was half to two thirds of the cost with the rest being initial and final consultations and overnight stay in the hospital which they probably price at similar levels to one night penthouse room at the Ritz.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Danger I had a tonsillectomy in the late 90s. My ENT thought I was crazy because I could have had it done for free on the NHS within 3 months maximum wait, but I was so certain it would cure me that I'd have gladly paid £10,000 to not have to wait for 3 months. I paid just under £2000 using a credit card at a private BUPA hospital and yet I'm still to this day paying that back. No clue how much that would cost today. Definitely go on the NHS, you'll have just the same job convincing an ENT to do it privately as you would an NHS ENT. I saw a private ENT and he was more than happy to put me onto the NHS waiting list, but I insisted I wanted it done immediately at BUPA.

I was in for 3 miserble nights because I fell ill with a cold. Whatever you do, dont have a tonsillectomy during winter, for risk of getting colds and flu.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

thanks for the responses

£4000? well, thats me going private out the window straight away

sux, how did you convince the nhs to agree to it? did you say you were getting tonsils stones? getting bad breath? constant sore throats? or all 3?
bbuk

Post by bbuk »

Just go to your doc and say that you have recently recovered from another tonsil infection. Says its the fourth this year and you get it every year and are fed up with it so you would like them out.

My doc was willing to put me through the NHS but as I have private healthcare through my work I instead opted for the private route which was free for me anyway but without the wait.

Dont talk about halitosis being the reason for wanting the surgery but rather chronic tonsil infections as the primary reason.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Danger I paid to see a private ENT consultant (about £100). I came straight out with bad breath and said my tonsils produce stones and they stink and then I came out with the bullshit, saying I get repeated tonsillitis (which I dont think I ever had, but I had plenty of very sore throats). He immediately took a look at my throat and started nodding with agreement and approval to proceed. He smelled my breath, but didnt comment.

If you go on the NHS you'll save a lot of time waiting for the initial consultation if you pay for that part privately.

He was happy to put me onto the NHS waiting list, where I'd have to wait a max of 3 months but not be required to pay anything further.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic