Your Email Address:

First Name:

Call to arms fromTMAU sufferer UK

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
danger
Master

Post by danger »

halitosisux wrote:Snobuni, ltns :)

Malory, thanks for your reply. Lots of people on here who've been tested with halimeters etc have been told they have low readings too. Interesting.

Danger, are you referring to people with BB? I reckon at least a quarter of all the people I come across have some degree of odour on their breath.

The main source of odour for this woman in the clip was her mouth, and it was mainly fecal. Interesting how her husband is incapable of detecting her odour. I think its possible that more of us than we realise have enough TMA in our blood to render us incapable of detecting TMA on others. When you think about it, if TMA is involved and this if this is true, it makes sense why at meetings nobody is able to smell anyone else's BB, if the same identical chemical is involved.

Testing for TMAU is also not a perfect science, even with the genetic test for primary TMAU. The way in which this problem manifests itself is also different for each person affected by it because there are factors that go with it, such as acidity, the skin, the lungs etc.
i am not referring to BB. alot of people i meet have BB sometimes. if someone is talking close to me i now try and detect BB on them

i mean somebody smelling 24/7 like this person i used to work with. it certainly wasnt his breath(though that could have smelt too). you could literally smell him sometimes before he was in shot

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

There's a person I know of who is a shop assistant in a electronics store where I live. I've never really thought about it, but every time he walks by or has tried to assist me, he smells strongly of dirty socks or like his clothes havent been washed for weeks. Smells like someone who has been sleeping in a filthy garbage container.

I've never come across anyone who smells like that, and I dont know of anyone with diagnosed TMAU. Strange when you consider its 1 in 100 people who have some form of TMAU.
caramiamine98
Advanced

Post by caramiamine98 »

Hi Snobuni,

If you want to try the TMAU protocols this post has great information on it.

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1191287

The best info on the choline content of foods. The first link is my favourite because it’s easiest to read.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Pl ... 22w421.pdf

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Pl ... holn02.pdf

This link is good too. It’s not just for choline content.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

The TMAU diet sheet and meal plan from the UCL can be viewed at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trimethylaminuria/ under ATTACHMENTS. In order to see it you have to join the group. I looked for but couldn’t find it posted anywhere else but there.

If you do get tested you will have to stop the diet and the other protocols and eat choline rich foods like Malory said. If you don’t you may get a false negative on the test. False positives are also possible if someone has a urinary tract infection (UTI).

http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitos ... -from.html

Hope this helps. Cheers C
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi Hali,

I think my doctor will carry out this test if I ask her, it's just getting the courage up to ask her. I seem to have a pathological fear of doctors/dentists nowadays, mainly 'cos of the shoddy way I've been treated by many 'medical professions' when I've asked for help with my bb problem in the past.

Caraimine98,

Thanks for all the links, I actually visited most of these sites when I first tried the low choline diet, but I agree, there's lots of useful information here :)
malory
Master
Post by malory »

Snobuni wrote:but I'll need to pluck up my courage to approach my GP for this
This referral is your RIGHT! NHS GPs are here to provide a public service and we are their clients. So I hope you have already got that referral in your hand.

Also, please write down what you are going through and contact me. Your experience at the GP surgery is vital and can contribute to our argument.
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hi Malory,

I've recently had appointments with an ENT and dentist which have almost completely convinced me that my bb problem is not related to my sinuses or teeth (98% certain!)

This leaves my stomach problems to be investigated. I have a multitude of symptoms and have had for many years. I think if I go to my GP and ask to see a gastroenterolgist and perhaps be tested for h. pylori (although I have tried the home blood test for this) and secondary TMAU, she'll be willing to refer me. It's just, as I said before, plucking up the courage to ask for this.

I'm going to be trying the diet again and seeing how this effects my bb before taking a test. When/if I eventually get tested I'll let you know the results and how I was treated/how helpful etc my GP was :)
Sash
Total Newbie

Post by Sash »

Wow this is interesting to know. I always thought that TMAU was known as 'fish odour' which i pressumed the sufferer smelt like fish. So is there other forms that just cause halitosis. I dont have any fish odour whatsover just rotten, often sour breath. Is it worth getting tested and would a local GP carry out the test?.. i live in a small town in UK
danger
Master

Post by danger »

i have been wondering if i have developed a type of tmau. i am 99.9% sure i have no type of serious body odour though so it is possible that my only symptom is my breath

but would my saliva stink if i spat a bit of saliva out on my hand if it was tmau related? because i cant detect an odour when i do this
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Danger from what I understand, people with TMAU cant usually smell their own odour, or that of anyone else who is releasing trimethylamine (TMA) because the nose has become familiarized with the odour of the one particular chemical involved. TMA gets secreted in saliva and mucus, so it's therefore always a possibility that your saliva smells but you are unable to detect the smell.

This applies to any constantly produced odour, not just TMA.
And, the reason why everyone with a sense of smell can always smell "shit" from farms and sewage etc is because there's a whole range of chemicals involved and that we're not constantly exposed to them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic