Your Email Address:

First Name:

Honey helps defeat resistant bacteria and biofilm

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
mike987
Super Angel

Honey helps defeat resistant bacteria and biofilm

Post by mike987 »

http://io9.com/#!science/5792797

Not sure how helpful, if at all, this will be, but we've been talking about biofilm recently. Can anyone confirm if eating honey regularly lessens the biofilm formation in the mouth?
Honey is pretty benign to people, but to smaller organisms it means sweet, sweet death. Honey's historically been used throughout the world in medicine, and a new study indicates that honey can stop the spread of MRSA.

Back in the day, honey was used to preserve the dead in certain societies' embalming processes. Modern medicine continues the tradition of using honey as an antibacterial, but there is some confusion about how honey kills off these nasty little bugs.

New research sheds light on how honey is an antibacterial assassin. It looks like honey takes out bacteria in two different ways. First, it acts as a blockade — honey keeps many common types of bacteria from attaching itself to living tissue, thus cutting off its shelter and some of its food supply.

Honey also goes on the offensive, taking out the bacteria's common defense against antibiotics. When bacteria group together they form a biofilm. They find a solid surface in a liquid-rich environment and start excreting goop. This goop is slimy and adhesive, letting the bacteria cling to the surface, and to each other.

Everyday biofilms include tooth plaque, the disgusting slime that builds up in a shower or sink drain, and layers of algae on river rocks. Heartwarmingly, the biofilm is most often made up of a number of different bacteria, all clinging together and contributing their slime. Not so heartwarmingly, the combined strength and sliminess makes it hard to treat the bacteria with antibiotics. The study indicates that honey keeps the biofilm from forming, letting antibiotics take hold.

Honey is effective against several different kinds of bacteria commonly found in wounds and in hospitals. Impressively, it's even effective against MRSA, the boogeyman of the hospital system. Patients with MRSA often require surgery to scrape away infected flesh when antibiotics fail — a touch of sweetness could save patients from life-threatening infections.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and was going to mention it:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13047332

As you'll see if you read this article, its a refined/filtered extract of this honey that has the powerful antiseptic properties. I remember doing some experiments using propolis honey once, it didnt do a thing. The trouble is, its only an antiseptic/antibacterial. It cant be any more effective than chlorhexidine is, which is the best known antibacterial in existence, and even that doesnt permanently work to help anyone with chronic BB, unless you have gum disease as the cause and you successfully manage to eliminate it by this method.

Worth a try though, if you can get hold of any. At least if it manages to help, you might be able to swallow some at regular intervals to control bacterial activity like using an edible mouthwash, if it can be swallowed in this way at all.
chubbygirl
Junior

Post by chubbygirl »

@mike : how do you take the honey? do you drink it? do you rinse with it? and in what proportions?
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Don't know.. I haven't been doing that. Just posted the article cause it mentioned reducing biofilms... but I suppose any antibacterial should be able to do that.

I sucked some honey down for the heck of it before work. Didn't do shit, and I'm not about to go on a weird honey diet, or swish honey in my mouth every morning.

It seems as though it's a specific kind of honey anyway. :|
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic