Your Email Address:

First Name:

Do people actually tell you that you have bad breath?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
gordongekko

Do people actually tell you that you have bad breath?

Post by gordongekko »

I was told many years ago that I had bad breath. Over the last month I've asked about 7 close friends and 2 family members if they ever smelled anything. They all replied 'no' and seemed to be honest (they seemed a little confused or something when I asked them that).

What about you guys?

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

All it takes is that one incident.
I was told I had BB all through my childhood - by the SAME people who just wanted to bring me down. My breath only smelled because I didnt bother wasting my time brushing my teeth because I didnt think there was any point. I was made to feel sub-human and it succeeded. Just by chance I developed a problem during my early teens with one of my teeth that led to my breath truly becoming bad and I ended up wasting the prime of my life because I was trapped by my own negativity.
gordongekko

Post by gordongekko »

Wait, so you do or don't think I have bad breath halitosissux.

Btw, I'm reading a thread you took part in in about 2008 about you and some other guy (what happened to him) coming up with a cure of putting two antibiotics together. I'm on about page 3 and it's very interesting.

What about you, do you have chronic bad breath?

This is the thread: viewtopic.php?t=1807&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Do you mean Teamzissou? I dont know what happened to him.

Some people have been cured of their BB when they take medication to eliminate helicobacter pylori. There have even been detailed studies to try understand what is happening, whether its due to the eradication of the h.pylori, or whether the metronidazole has eradicated some other chronic infection in the body.

My own opinion on this is that perhaps at some point in that person's life they were placed on long term antibiotics (quite common for chronic childhood infection or to help control acne etc) that disturbed the intestinal flora enough to cause low level or secondary TMAU to develop. By taking the metronidazole, the flora gets "reset" or disturbed back into a healthier one the way it was before. It has been shown that certain intestinal problems can be cured by a procedure known as a fecal transplantation (feces taken someone else implanted into the intestine), so why cant it happen indirectly by taking the right kind of antibiotics?

I am told I dont have BB since the removal of one of my wisdom teeth. Prior to that I had been suffering with chronic BB since about age 15 which went on for the next 25 years
chubbygirl
Junior

Post by chubbygirl »

halitosisux wrote:or whether the metronidazole has eradicated some other chronic infection in the body.

i tested positive for h.pylori, but the doctor is planning to put me on amoxicillin and clarythromycin.

is metronidazole a more potent/effective antibiotic? should i bring that up with the doctor? my doctor gets offended easily and i dont wanna seem like i know more than he does hehe
bbsux
Advanced

Post by bbsux »

I have asked my best friend, my manager at work, my mom, my sistter and none of them tell me i do. I have never been told to my face streight up that i have bb but i see reactions and sometimes i feel like people are whispering about me behind my back.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

chubbygirl, your doctor will most probably base your therapy on any antibiotics you have had in the past to minimise the possibility of any established antibiotic resistance and whether you have a history of alleric reactions to antibiotic types. The following link may help guide you:-
http://www.helico.com/treat_marshall.html

You'll need the following type of test carried out after your treatment to discover if it's been successful or not:-
http://www.helico.com/diag_breath.html
If it hasnt been successful your doctor will try a different combination until it is successfully eradicated.

The test you are likely to have had so far is the antibody test:-
http://www.helico.com/diag_blood.html
Read the note in that link to understand why this is only suitable for initial diagnosis.
chubbygirl
Junior

Post by chubbygirl »

thanks hali. uhm, im not sure if we have the breath test where i come from. as for the blood test --- well, i've had both a blood and stool test done, and both came out negative.

it was not until i had an endoscopy done that it was confirmed that i had h.pylori. as it turns out, blood and stool tests can churn out false negatives.

i don't know why i'm being given the first line treatment. they should just prescribe the quadruple therapy to make sure that the h.pylori is completely eradicated! and i'm feeling very pessimistic about this whole thing, as there are so many posts by people whose bb came back after finishing the course of anti h.pylori antibiotics :( now i'm thinking, why even bother? :(

ps - sorry this post is kinda off-topic :oops:
nicc
Junior

Post by nicc »

chubbygirl wrote:and i'm feeling very pessimistic about this whole thing, as there are so many posts by people whose bb came back after finishing the course of anti h.pylori antibiotics :( now i'm thinking, why even bother? :(
this probably because h.pilory had nothing to do with bb in their cases just like in the majority of cases.
don't forget that h.pilory is pretty spead among the population, a correlation with bb is yet to be demonstrated.
fighter
Advanced

Post by fighter »

@chubby girl

Please don't base your success off of other's failures. Maybe it'll work, maybe it want but at least you gave it a shot. This affliction is enough to get anyone down but we can't let it stop our faith and hope b/c then it wins. There's a unique cure for all of us just keep trying to find yours. Don't let anyones negative/pessimistic comments stop you from finding what works for YOU. I've heard plenty of doctors say that positive ppl with positive thinking get over illnesses versus negative/stressed ppl. So I believe positive energy has alot to do with it b/c it gives us the power to 'fight'.

P.S.
Also be safe while on antibiotics because they can lead to a whole other problem. Check out my 'Antibiotics and Candida' post to find out how to protect yourself while on them. Good Luck! :)

P.S.S.
I'm not a medicine pusher but you can do the quadruple therapy yourself (check w/ your doctors first), I am (being that I have no insurance). I decided to do it to eliminate any possible cause (fungus, bacteria, etc.). In my case candida is the main culprit in my sinuses and throat. So hopefully like Keeptrying09 the antifungals will cure me as well for good.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

H.Pylori may not cause BB for everyone that is infected with it. The theory so far is that H.pylori causes hypochlorhydria (especially if you naturally dont produce much stomach acid in the first place). This might then lead to stomach contents becoming foul smelling or it may lead to SIBO because bacteria you swallow would normally get killed in the stomach by its acid, and this wont be happening if you are hypochlorhydric.

Chubbygirl, were you ever suffering from the symptoms of gastritis before your treatment? If you were and you noticed an improvement, then that might indicate that the h.pylori have been eradicated. But whatever, you still need to persue this and do whatever is necessary to ensure its been eradicated. The urea breath test is quite a standard procedure in most hospitals.

Remember also, that the people who have ever been seemingly cured of BB following h.pylori treatment may all have done so because of the antibiotic treatment itself and nothing to do with the h.pylori being eradicated. None of this has been proven yet.
chubbygirl
Junior

Post by chubbygirl »

@ hali: yup, i've had a pretty long history of gastritis. i was even put on maalox (an antacid) maintenance since third grade.

i asked my gi if i could possibly have hypochloridia, as it's symptoms are the same as that of hyperacidity. he just gave me an outright "no" because he says that hypochloridia's a rare disorder and it's more common for people to have hyperacidity (d'oh, as if i can't contract a rare disease!)

@ fighter: thanks for the encouragement :)

@ nicc: thanks for the reply :)
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Has the gastritis changed since you've had the first h.pylori treatment?

And yes, that is correct, the symptoms of hypochlorhydria can mimic those of hyperacidity. It's also more difficult to establish whether a person has hypochlorhydria than it is for hyperacidity.

I wonder how many people die every day because a doctor has wrongly assumed that something is too rare to apply. I spent decades being constantly made to feel ridiculous by the doctors I ever saw, for simply wanting to rule things out the way people with other problems get to do.
If BB didnt weaken us the way it does, we'd never have to put up with such shit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic