Your Email Address:

First Name:

Periodontal/Gum disease

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
NOTANYMORE
Master

Periodontal/Gum disease

Post by NOTANYMORE »

I'm thinking that some on here have at least SOME history of gum disease and maybe even periodontal disease. Before spending thousands of dollars looking at your liver, stomach, etc as a cause of your halitosis, please consider having a dentist/periodontist do a deep cleaning on your teeth. Perhaps your tongue is white as a result of too much bacteria radiating from under your gums and around your teeth.

Even if the doctor says your gums look good, if you have a history of periodontal disease, still have a deep cleaning once every couple of years. Even the hygienist can't get all the plaque/tartar under the gums.

Look at your tongue as a barometer of your oral health. Assuming the white stuff isn't candidiasis..and in most cases it isn't, we can assume it is bacterial overload so we must do things to lessen the bacteria.

and since 80% of halitosis originates IN THE ORAL CAVITY, you absolutely MUST rule out teeth and gums. This is the honest truth and it is harsh. Once you have periodontal disease, it DOES NOT go away. You must do everything you can to stay on top of things so the bacteria doesn't get out of hand. This is a problem you will have until you either die, or lose your teeth so get yourself cleaned UNDER THE GUMS and get a good chlorhexedine rinse and when it starts to flair up again, further down the road, get another deep cleaning.

Also, even people with perfect dental health and NO history of gingivitis get BB occasionaly, especially in the morning. I've said this before, saliva is your friend. Stop the caffeine and make sure it isn't a medication that's causing your halitosis. I am cured but I get BB when I take Omeprazole for more than a couple of days for my acid reflux. 75% of people on PPI's for reflux are said to have BB from the medication.

For some of us, there are MULTIPLE factors contributing to halitosis. Go see an ENT and make sure you don't have sinus issues. gingivitis plus PND is a lethal combination. So yeah, i'm trying not to ramble here but think about this in a logical way.

In the meantime, if this problem is killing you inside and ruining your life, maybe think about talking to your doctor about anti-depressants. You aren't being weak by asking for help. It takes a strong person to admit they can't cope and an even stronger person to NOT GIVE UP. I lived with BB for so long that even now, although I am cured, I still check in from time to time because I know what it feels like to be paranoid, sad, angry, humiliated, and all the other terrible emotions that come with this condition and I want you people to know that there is a fix to this problem, you just have to be systematic about finding it. everyone's fix is different.

mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

If you are cured, what cured you?
A deep cleaning from the dentist?
And also, what is your history and current routine?
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Notanymore,
I hate to pour cold water on your well-meaning advice, but I'm afraid it does not apply to most of us.
At my last dentist's visit when I got a cleaning, he not only told me that I didn't have gum disease, but that my gums look so good that I would never get it. He also commented on how little plaque I had on my teeth. And the white coating on the tongue doesn't prove that there is anything wrong in the mouth itself - there could be a problem somewhere else in the body. In fact most of us "bad breath people" practice much better oral hygiene than people who don't have bad breath. If that were really the problem, everyone in the world would have bad breath, and we in this forum would have the cleanest breath instead of the other way around. No, I think you'll have to come up with a better theory than that. And BTW, we're not "too weak" to ask an idiot doctor for anti-depressants. We just know that anti-depressants don't cure bad breath.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
deebo

Re: Periodontal/Gum disease

Post by deebo »

NOTANYMORE wrote: I lived with BB for so long that even now, although I am cured, I still check in from time to time because I know what it feels like to be paranoid, sad, angry, humiliated, and all the other terrible emotions that come with this condition and I want you people to know that there is a fix to this problem, you just have to be systematic about finding it. everyone's fix is different.
What was the cause of your bb and what was the cure ??

Yep. For the vast majority of humans ,bb stems from a dental issue . Those people don't come to here. They go to a dentist or the bathroom to brush .

We are here because as you know ,chronic bb is hard as fu(k to diagnose & treat . I've been to 3 dentists in the past year and polished Below the gum. I'm in Phantasists camp ,as i'll bet most on this site are . Perfect grin and gums . That because any self respecting Dr will 1st send us to the dentist before running a myriad of tests and probes. Any dentist will also asses the tongue . My dentist(s) did not recommend anti-depressants , they recommend I see a Dr.

Those few 'Some' that missed the dental boat thank you for this thread .
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Another "perfect 10" from the dentist. I've had perfect teeth all my life. The dentists are generally shocked at great and strong my teeth are, with the exception of some acid deterioration at the back of my front teeth that has started happening over the last 6 years.

I'm one of those who think brushing and all that stuff is pointless. Of course I brush and floss, etc, but I know that it has =no bearing on my breath. As a matter of fact, the time when I decided to brush after lunch at work, I noticed more severe reactions from people, because I think the mixture of toothpaste and shit is an awkward mixture, and perhaps surprising to someone who has already smelled the pure fresh shit breath. It's like "ooo is that mint?? OOO NO that is minty shit, OMG dude stick to the pure shit please"
deebo

Post by deebo »

elliott wrote:. It's like "ooo is that mint?? OOO NO that is minty shit, OMG dude stick to the pure shit please"
Thank you . I cracked a genuine smile there .
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

I have problems with gum recession. So I get a lot of decay around the gum line. But my floss doesn't smell bad after flossing, which I think proves the gums aren't causing any bb. My tongue is not coated either.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

i have gum disease (since i was in my early 20s - now it is 10 years later and i still have it). what happens it that it affects your pockets.. my gums are receding and the pickets deepen. even when there is no active infection, the gums have receded. the pockets are key spots for bacteria to hide and it's hard to get rid of it through flossing or anything like that. it is a definite contributor to bb for me, but not the only issue (i believe most stems from the back of my tongue and a bacterial imbalance.. the imbalance probably contributes to gum disease issues)
chubbygirl
Junior

Post by chubbygirl »

i, too, have badly receded gums. im just wondering if a gum grafting procedure will help, or if will just create a pocket between the original gum and the new gum, hence exacerbating the problem :-k
deebo

Re: Periodontal/Gum disease

Post by deebo »

jen
Advanced

Post by jen »

I go to the dentist regularly and they never said anything about gum disease. But I am a little worried. Although I floss regularly, I noticed recently that my gums bleed when I floss. Sometimes so much so that my whole mouth is full of blood. But it doesn't happen every time. Anybody who knows why this happens?
jen
Advanced

Post by jen »

Not that any dentist is ever very eager to discuss my condition with me. They just want me out of there as quickly as possible..
deebo

Post by deebo »

jen wrote:Not that any dentist is ever very eager to discuss my condition with me. They just want me out of there as quickly as possible..
Jen . is it the same tooth area that the gums bleed or general ?
Do you mean dentists want you out because of your breath ?
jen
Advanced

Post by jen »

[quote="deebo"]
Jen . is it the same tooth area that the gums bleed or general ?
Do you mean dentists want you out because of your breath ?[/quoted]

deebo, it's all my teeth. When I spit it out, the saliva is red with blood. And yes, the dentists are really not understanding or helpful when I try to discuss the subject of my breath and causes for it. One just ignored me when I told him I had this problem. He didn't answer, just seemed to be gritting his teeth and getting on with the job. The other one was so rushed, he gave me a temporary filling while he had enough time to do the whole job. Another one assured me I don't have bad breath, yeah right. Isn't it her job to be honest and to try to help? Wonder what they expect when they study to become dentists. Maybe to see these perfect rows of white teeth and smell sweet, clean breath all the time.
deebo

Post by deebo »

jen wrote:
deebo wrote: Jen . is it the same tooth area that the gums bleed or general ?
Do you mean dentists want you out because of your breath ?[/quoted]

deebo, it's all my teeth. When I spit it out, the saliva is red with blood. And yes, the dentists are really not understanding or helpful when I try to discuss the subject of my breath and causes for it. One just ignored me when I told him I had this problem. He didn't answer, just seemed to be gritting his teeth and getting on with the job. The other one was so rushed, he gave me a temporary filling while he had enough time to do the whole job. Another one assured me I don't have bad breath, yeah right. Isn't it her job to be honest and to try to help? Wonder what they expect when they study to become dentists. Maybe to see these perfect rows of white teeth and smell sweet, clean breath all the time.
is it possible you are thinning your blood somehow ? or maybe an anti clotting agent even . When you get your teach cleaned they can do a gum thickness check. When I visit a Dr or Dent ,i try to be as open and blunt as possible . I've spent decades beating around the bush with them ,now I have to be to the point after paying for being shy and unproductive .
I'm going to an ENT today so thank you for reminding me to put my foot down and not be my usual shy , pushover , embarrassed of my smelly Self . I'll get home and feel like i took a big step Backwards .

Also , Even with my mouth closed I can fill a room with terrible bb to the point that people frown ,cough, hold their breath,leave ..... Still , I know that sometimes , my breath isn't Alway bad . Yes , often people lie due to how awkward the bb issue is. And sometimes they are telling the truth . And even more interestingly , there are some who can Not smell our odor .

With other members advice , I always assume my bb is in full blast . Only now I'm trying to be more relaxed about my reality . It really helps to know others are living with this too now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic