Your Email Address:

First Name:

i have it since 3rd grade,, why?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
since3rdgrade
Total Newbie

i have it since 3rd grade,, why?

Post by since3rdgrade »

as a child i can remember my mom telling my dad, this kid has a foul breath,, and also as a child i dont bother myself abt bb.. now iam 41 yrs old still have it,, one thing i cannot understand how can a child have a bb? maybe if somebody can give me an idea it will help a lot,, thanks

mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

I feel so sorry for you.. And I thought 6 years was a long time.... #-o
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Since3rdgrade,

There are many different causes of bad breath. Most doctors will tell you that it is caused by an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria in the mouth, especially on the surface of the tongue. These bacteria produce volatile sulphur compounds that have a bad odor.

Of course, that doesn't explain why some of us have an overgrowth of anaerobes and others don't. Normal saliva has antibacterial components in it. If we are missing some of those, it could be some sort of an immune deficiency, but that's only a guess.

There is a website which gives a pretty good explanation of the different possible causes of bad breath if you care to read it:

http://www.doctorspiller.com/halitosis.htm
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
aues
Master

Post by aues »

Had it since about 7th grade. Did take me 5 years to get rid of the problem.

Tonsillectomy cured me because after three doctors, who said that my tonsills are not be blamed finally one said that my tonsills don't look that good and he would approve removing them if I wanted to.

After the surgery the analysis of my tonsils showed that they were internally fucked up.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

i am 34 now and have had it since at least grade 7 as well (about 13 years old). the reason i remember from back then is because i had a friend back away from me while holding her nose (funny thing is i remember she had bad breath too).

anyway, after reading these forums, i believe i got the problem as a child due to use of tetracycline (antibiotic) when i was 2 years old. that is way too young to be giving kids antibiotics, but it was given to me and i think it caused a bacterial imbalance in my system. this imbalance has also lead me to have gum disease since i was in my early 20s and even though i have been super meticulous about dental hygiene since i had braces in my teens (brushing after meals, flossing every night).
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

My gums are receding too, though I take great care of my mouth.. My father's teeth are similar, and my grandpa was the same.. That just might be genetic.

I had taken antibiotics all my young life because of recurring ear infections.
Robuk
Total Newbie

Post by Robuk »

I belive Ive had it since about 8 years old and im now 41 aswell, I remember my mum taking me to hospital about my teeth and she was looking for ENT, did not mean much to me at the time. but I did work out later you dont see ENT for teeth.
anyway Im sure it cleared up for a few years around 17 and the only things that change was I cut myself pretty bad and had antibiotics (dunno whitch type) and I started smoking. have now stopped tho.
since3rdgrade
Total Newbie

Post by since3rdgrade »

Phantasist wrote:Since3rdgrade,

There are many different causes of bad breath. Most doctors will tell you that it is caused by an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria in the mouth, especially on the surface of the tongue. These bacteria produce volatile sulphur compounds that have a bad odor.

Of course, that doesn't explain why some of us have an overgrowth of anaerobes and others don't. Normal saliva has antibacterial components in it. If we are missing some of those, it could be some sort of an immune deficiency, but that's only a guess.

There is a website which gives a pretty good explanation of the different possible causes of bad breath if you care to read it:

http://www.doctorspiller.com/halitosis.htm

thank you.. i have read it, now i know its my mouth.. ive been reading this site for a year now and it helps a lot to know i am not alone,, i am not cured although i can say it is controlled,, i use baking soda instead of toothpaste and gargle with warm water mixed with salt and peroxide as a mouth wash. once or twice a week i use neti pot. it is not 100% gone but it lessens the smell and if meat and dairies are not on the menu it is so much better :)
sweetnlow

Post by sweetnlow »

ruch, I had the same thing happen to me. I was given tetracycline when I was about 2 or 3 and my bad breath started at 13. I also developed gum disease at an early age. My gum disease started at 18. The dentist didn't even catch it then. I wish it was a way to blance the bacteria in my mouth. I have said it a hundred times I can't believe that I am 43 and still suffering from this. We can send men to the moon, Do a face transplant and change a person's sex but can't cure bad breath. If I was a dentist I would try hard to be the first person to cure bad breath. I guess their happy with just doing the basic teeth cleanings. :(
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

mike, yeah, a dentist told me genetics can play a role in gum disease but in my family, only my aunt (who also took tetracycline as a kid) and my grandparents (more likely due to poor oral hygiene) have gum disease. my siblings all have good teeth and gums, and no bb.

sweetnlow, do you think it was the antibiotics that may have caused your problem too? what have you tried? i've tried oral probiotics and it does nothing.
sweetnlow

Post by sweetnlow »

ruch, I do think it was the antibiotics. I was to young for them and they killed off the good bacteria also. I use probiotics, activated charcoal and chorophyllin copper. They help a little.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

do you know what antibiotic you took? i know i was on tetracycline.. which you are not supposed to give to kids under 2 because it permanently stains your teeth (which is what happened to me). i'm pretty sure it also caused a host of other problems, like the bb and gum disease so early in life...
sweetnlow

Post by sweetnlow »

No. I don't know what type of tetracycline it was, but it did lightly stain my teeth also. A guy in my home town most have taken it also because his teeth was stained badly but I don't think he had bad breath.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

sweetnlow, if you have some staining, it was probably tetracycline (which is a type of antibiotic)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic