Your Email Address:

First Name:

Laser for cleaning the tongue - just a thought.

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Tibya
Advanced

Laser for cleaning the tongue - just a thought.

Post by Tibya »

Hi Everyone,

This is just a thought. I have seen this laser technology, painless, gum cleaning, quick recovery etc.
I did laser cleaning for my gums few yrs back (because then I thought gum was the main cause of my bb, though my dentist always said my gums were not so bad to go for laser, and it will not harm either, as cleaning is always good).

So just wondering, can laser be not used to clean the tongue surface or back posterior of the tongue or maybe even esphogaus? After all its all those bacteria build up with Voltalie Suplur (whatever may be the cause of origin, GERD, Gums, hormonal imbalance, but all these finally end up with a thick coat on tongue).

Maybe not a complete cure, but atleast the laser cleaning of tongue may give some temporary relief for few days/months .

Any thoughts?

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

This is a nice idea if you know that your tongue dorsum is where your odour is mostly originating from. I think a laser technique could be used to "cauterize" the tongue surface so that it either permanently reduces or completely eliminates the tongue papillae altogether at the back there. A laser could very precisely focus the heat required.

I've tried a similar thing using heat alone and I was able to permanently scar small areas. Depending on the intensity, papillae either disappear or are stunted in size. I dont know what the long-term risks of doing such a thing could bring, such as oral cancer though. I really can't imagine any surgeon doing this for the risks of nerve and muscle damage and also damage to the sense of taste - I've got a small amount of numbness and muscle stiffness in my tongue from what I did. Thank god it doesn't affect my speech.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

There's one spot on the side of my tongue that occasionally seems to look a little sore, or red around the perimeter. Within that area, the papillae are very small, and that area never seems to get a coating on it.

I wonder if that area was once burnt from hot food, or perhaps it's some sort of mouth sore that never goes away? Anyway, there's very little coating, if any there... A couple weeks ago, the perimeter of that area seemed slightly inflamed and the whole area was sooo smooth looking. I wish my whole tongue looked like that.

There's another spot further toward the back center that often seems to resist white coating, with short papillae.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

I like this idea, too.

But the ENT I spoke to about it, said it would probably become an even better breeding ground for bacteria.

Still, nobody has tried it, as far as I know. Can you ask whoever did your gum lasering to have a go...? 8-[

It's discussed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=3570
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Well, this was just a thought as I do not have any scientific/micro bacterial education. Maybe something research /scientist can come up with for tongue. After all there was no laser for gum cleaning either few yrs back and now its a norm.

I have 2 wisdom tooth in lower jaw and I am planning to get them removed soon. Both upper jaw wisdom tooth have been removed.

I am wondering whether removing the wisdom tooth has been the cause for bb or not removing the wisdom tooth can lead to bb?
But I don't think my bb comes from the teeth/gum line. I feel its always from the back of my tongue and now while breathing out as well.

I will be talking to my dentist on this soon. I know there is no such thing as tongue laser cleaning and my dentist may not agree to do this. But she occassionally teaches WHO, and she may keep this in mind or discuss further.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Still, nobody has tried it, as far as I know. Can you ask whoever did your gum lasering to have a go...? 8-[

It's discussed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=3570[/quote]

Thnx for the link. I will update after I talk with my dentist soon. My ENT also had nothing to say more on this. But I am more comfortable with my dentist.

Also as per the link Murad says use Zinc cloride. Its an old thread, has any one tried zinc chloride.?
susanawalkly
Total Newbie

Post by susanawalkly »

I have met a person in clinic. The dentist used infrared laser pointer to help him clean mouse. The dentist introduced that infrared laser pointer is usually used to kill germs in the mouse, and had a wide application in modern medical treatment.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

susanawalkly wrote:I have met a person in clinic. The dentist used infrared laser pointer to help him clean mouse. The dentist introduced that infrared laser pointer is usually used to kill germs in the mouse, and had a wide application in modern medical treatment.
hey this is not a rodent forum.
deebo

Post by deebo »

susanawalkly wrote:I have met a person in clinic. The dentist used infrared laser pointer to help him clean mouse. The dentist introduced that infrared laser pointer is usually used to kill germs in the mouse, and had a wide application in modern medical treatment.
hi Susana .
you meant to say "Mouth" , not "mouse" i assume .
I wonder what the laser is cleaning and what type spectrum is used.
There are UV beams for germicide and whitening .

Welcome to the site Susana :)

skunkhugs on skype , jo hanson on fb
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Lol, Susana please respond soon.

Infrared laser sounds like a good idea.
Never heard of infrared light being used to kill bacteria before, but maybe with an infrared laser it can be more concentrated and able to cause harm to microorganisms?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Just did a quick google search and this is indeed a new development, using a pulsed laser which can be fine tuned to selectively kill anything, whilst leaving healthy tissue intact. It's being developed to kill bacteria and viruses in blood outside the body, but it could eventually be developed for oral use. Maybe the infrared laser pointer really is already capable of some degree of anti-microbial action.
dick.karma
Advanced

Post by dick.karma »

LOL! stupid mouse getting everywhere
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

dick.karma wrote:LOL! stupid mouse getting everywhere
LOL! :lol:
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Hi Susanawalkly, Mouth or Gum area? I have not heard of tongue cleaning using Laser. I should have checked with the dentist during my last visit but I forgot :(.
Laser is very common to treat gum disease these days. Its not expensive as compared to gum surgery.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

There is lot of information on web for laser. So make sure the dentist does not rip you off. The general dentist are not allowed to use LANAP /CO2 laser, but they still charge the insurance company the same amount under laser code treatment. They can only use BioLase, Dioxide kind of laser that treats only soft tissue. If there is bone area infection, soft tissue laser won;t help. You will need to go to Periodontist who can use CO2/LANAP laser. The code for claiming the insurance company is same. Its better to make sure you get the best out of your insurance coverage, because after laser treatment, most insurance do not cover deep cleaning for few yrs (I think 3 yrs , not sure though). Of course this is with respect to your region/country, but mostly all dental insurance follow the same process.
Also keep in mind, that everything is negotiable - including laser treatment.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic