Your Email Address:

First Name:

'Carafate' cured someone, has anyone tried it?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Archimonde
Super Angel

'Carafate' cured someone, has anyone tried it?

Post by Archimonde »

I started a new thread because her posts are really long so not everyone might read em. Here's the part that's interesting:

(taken from viewtopic.php?t=2508&start=0 )
bbforyears wrote: I had an Endoscopy in June (this year) and they found bile in my esophagus. The doctor gave me Carafate to weigh down the bile. I take it 4 times a day. I noticed a HUGE improvement within the first couple days.
She hasn't posted on the forum since then so it seems that really did the trick for her.

Some people here often say " i've tried everything" so who has tried Carafate?

elliott
God

Re: 'Carafate' cured someone, has anyone tried it?

Post by elliott »

Archimonde wrote:I started a new thread because her posts are really long so not everyone might read em. Here's the part that's interesting:

(taken from viewtopic.php?t=2508&start=0 )
bbforyears wrote: I had an Endoscopy in June (this year) and they found bile in my esophagus. The doctor gave me Carafate to weigh down the bile. I take it 4 times a day. I noticed a HUGE improvement within the first couple days.
She hasn't posted on the forum since then so it seems that really did the trick for her.

Some people here often say " i've tried everything" so who has tried Carafate?
Hey, thanks. Her posts are one of the only that read 99% similar to my own experience, especially with the excessive internal gas and bloating, thirst, dry throat, and rotten taste. I've had the same experiences with barium swallow test and ph tests, and have been told I may have bile reflux as well. It's good to read posts from people that know exactly what their particular problem is, much easier to follow and relate.

Going to look further into this.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

I just made an appt with my dr tomorrow morning on this. I have a lot of the same symptoms... have come up negative on the barium swallow tests but ppi's alone are not helping. Have the worst taste in the back of my mouth (literally like shit) and can smell it in my nose. I'm hoping she will prescribe this for me and let me try to see if it works.....
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

sadgirlbb wrote:I just made an appt with my dr tomorrow morning on this.
You're awesome. You don't waste any time.

I really want to try Carafate right now but going through the Canadian health care system is a nightmare, it will take weeks or months before i might have a chance to see an ENT, and it's not a guarantee they'll give me a prescription.

The reason i suspect bile could my problem as well is that I've vomited bile before.
Last edited by Archimonde on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

No I don't waste time I'm SO sick of this crap and feel like I can't take this taste in my mouth one more day!! Even though I've been dealing with it since I was 11....

And about the DIM, not doing a damn thing for me either! I have taken it for 5 days. And I doubled the dose yesterday and will also today, thinking I might be really bad off and need more. But so far nothing. :(

Can't you buy the Carafate through an online pharmacy? I know they are really expensive though....
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Yeah I did see a couple of places that had it for around $120. Just wonder how "pure" it would be, not truly knowing/trusting the source. Since I don't have insurance, it would be the only way...

I'm gonna let it roll around in my head before doing anything, but what she said about bile sure did make sense to me.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

Yes it made sense to me too. And I also lost of my sense of smell -- last year. As did she. And the doctor could not explain why. Now I know why! Because the bile crept up into my nasal cavity and damaged whatever it is I smell with. My sense of smell has come back. But its terrible to be a bad breath sufferer and not have your sense of smell. The stress is 100 times worse...

But I'm going to give this a try. And I'm sorry you don't have insurance elliott... that sux. I'm lucky that I do have good insurance.
glamourgirl05
Junior

Post by glamourgirl05 »

Keep us posted... Interesting...
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

Well I went to my doctor this morning... printed out that whole thread from bbforyears (viewtopic.php?t=2508&start=0) and poured my heart out.

She sat, listened and took notes. In the end she prescribed me carafate ... said it was an excellent medication ... along with a ppi (pantoprazole). She's also going to test me for h.pylori which I haven't been tested for before. She also said that along with acid and bile that comes up in reflux, partially digested food can come up and sit in your esophagus/back of throat which can cause the really bad taste/bad breath.

And she pointed out that the problem with ppi's and acid reflux is a lot of times you don't start seeing results for a couple of months. It takes that long for it to start healing and working. And people give up on it too fast and stop taking medication when they needed to continue and give it time. Just thought I would throw that out there for ppl who thought they did not get any relief from ppi's. But the carafate should help initially untl the ppi starts working....

I will start taking the medication tonight!
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

sadgirlbb wrote:
I will start taking the medication tonight!
On behalf of everyone on this forum, thank you and good luck.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

sadgirlbb, is there some particular reason why you haven't yet been tested for h.pylori?
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

No reason that I know of ... no one has ever suggested that test until today. I'm not really sure what it really is. The doctor said some kind of stomach bacteria.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

I just looked it up. I've heard of it before, but just wasn't sure.

Guess I'll just see if this round of medicine with carafate works for me and hope its acid reflux so I can at least get some relief from this taste in my mouth.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Seems incredible that someone who seems so clued-up and been on the forum since 2008 would not know about h.pylori or it's potential for causing the kind of digestive problems which can lead to bad breath.

Thanks for answering though, and very best of luck with all your efforts.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

I don't think its so incredible ... just never researched it.... I haven't seen it all over this forum. And obviously I'm not so "clued up" but I've tried to read everything I could find online that could lead to bb. Not all of us are perfect I guess and so I haven't uncovered every stone!!

But thank you for the wishes and best of luck to everyone trying to get out of this hell.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic