Your Email Address:

First Name:

Interesting thing I heard today

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
NOTANYMORE
Master

Interesting thing I heard today

Post by NOTANYMORE »

A doctor was telling a chemo patient (who is suffering from dry mouth) NOT to sip on water all the time. He said that water is hypotonic and actualy pulls moisture from your tissues. I was like WTF!? Then he said think about what happens when take a bath for too long. Your hands look like prunes and your skin is dry.

He told her about the biotene products and told her to drink stuff like Gatorade and anything else with electrolytes but not too much sugar. Anyway, I had never really thought of it like that, but it makes perfect sense. Hope this helps someone.

jen
Advanced

Re: Interesting thing I heard today

Post by jen »

NOTANYMORE wrote:A doctor was telling a chemo patient (who is suffering from dry mouth) NOT to sip on water all the time. He said that water is hypotonic and actualy pulls moisture from your tissues. I was like WTF!? Then he said think about what happens when take a bath for too long. Your hands look like prunes and your skin is dry.

He told her about the biotene products and told her to drink stuff like Gatorade and anything else with electrolytes but not too much sugar. Anyway, I had never really thought of it like that, but it makes perfect sense. Hope this helps someone.
Notanymore, thank you for sharing this, it is really very interesting. I drink lots of water but still feel constantly thirsty and dehydrated. (Because of underactive thyroid, I'm not diabetic.) I am going to look for a product that doesn't contain sugar and try it.
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

Wow.. thats really interesting and I ve never heard about that either.. thanks a lot!!
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

So this might be the case for water that comes in contact with the skin, but shouldn't water ultimately re-hydrate your entire body?
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Water by itself will only partially rehydrate. When you visit the Emergency Room after throwing up all night, they don't hook you up to a pure water drip. It is sodium chloride in that little bag hanging on your gurney. You will never be given pure water as this will brake down red blood cells and do further damage.. In fact, the most you will get in an emergency room is ice chips if you are lucky.

Your hydration levels depend on a level of sodium, magnesium, potassium and electrolytes. They will run blood test to see where you are deficient and go from there. They may hook you up to a bag of potassium if that level is low or some other mixture to regulate proper hydration.

I know we aren't all running around super dehydrated and water will keep us hydrated. As it pertains to our oral tissues though, I can see how the doctor's explanation makes sense. Perhaps that is why I sometimes felt like that metallic taste seemed to get worse a couple do minutes after drinking water.
Music Lady
Advanced

Post by Music Lady »

thanks for posting. this is truly very interesting.

I drink a lot of water throught the day sometimes up to 12 cups, and I swear the more I drink the worse my breath smells.

I think what I may start experimenting with is drinking a lot on the weekend and minimal throughout the week. And at the same time continue to focus more on raw foods only.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I thought this was interesting to read:-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... yroid.html

Also, could the thyroid gland area above the breastbone be responsible for the "something stuck in the throat" feeling a lot of people describe?

That above link is interesting because I never knew that blood tests don't always give you the true picture of healthy thyroid functioning. There's a lot which relates to the thyroid which many people on here describe as part of their symptoms. Hydration, weight, chronic unwell feeling, and things that relate to metabolism.

The temperature symptom is interesting too. I wonder if there could even be a possible link to temperature and bad breath because of how body temperature would have a direct effect on bacteria and the types of bacteria which would colonize in the gut and the mouth?

Just some thoughts really.
VICKSTER
Advanced

Thyroid

Post by VICKSTER »

I have been through all the testing for thyroid. My blood tests are normal, but I have every thyroid symptom and low body temp. My doctor said something is attacking your thyroid....so it is a symptom not a cause.
But once again we are back to hormones. Has any women had success with a hysterectomy ? Since many of us relate our BB start to puberty , would this be a cure for some.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

My (ignorant) guess is that if you've tried everything with diet and it doesn't cure your BB, then it doesn't relate to anything specifically wrong in your diet, but perhaps a deficiency or dysfunction of some kind within your body - as occurs for example in TMAU?

I'm certainly going to try to understand more about the thyroid gland. To read how vulnerable we all are for problems to start with the thyroid, and the havoc that can cause around the body is incredible. It only takes one of the symptoms caused by the thyroid gland, like a dry mouth, to cause BB.

And the thought that doctors can't always know whether things are normal or not, makes me wonder.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic