Your Email Address:

First Name:

Go check for nasal polyps and deviated septum (CT scan!!!)

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
aues
Master

Go check for nasal polyps and deviated septum (CT scan!!!)

Post by aues »

If you have no idea where where your bad breath is coming from because your oral hygiene is very good you might ask for a CT scan in order to see if there are polyps in your sinuses or/and whether there is a septum deviation.

Who of you has done such a CT scan and what was the result?
Did the removal of polyps or the operational correction of a deviated septum solve your problem?

George80
Junior

Post by George80 »

I had all of this: CT scan and surgery of septum and sinuses. Surgery didn't accomplish anything yet, but it takes up to one year until you may recognize effects.

The CT scan will show if your septum is deviated, this may result in less air flowing into your sinuses. Sinuses have to "breathe" otherwise they produce too much mucus, that may lead to post nasal drip and bad breath.

The nasal tissue and the turbinates on the scan are often swollen. Causes can be allergies, moldes, infections, even reflux. Some people develop polyps (I didn't have any), that also lead to blockage, less air, a viciuos circle.

Sinuses have to be free, to develop a healthy tissue and not produce PND. That is the key point. All sinuses have a common entry (ostiomeatal complex). The doc often reduces the size of the turbinates, cuts away a small bone to widen this entry. But he may also cut away too many of the turbinates during a surgery, which leads to a "empty nose syndrom".

If you go for surgery, go to more than one ENT, and scan the internet for comments from patients.

//edit:
I didn't really answer your question:
The CT scan showed swollen turbinates including a paradox middle turbinate (shows to the wrong direction), a slightly deviated septum, and very slight polypious tissue at the bottom of the max. sinuses. ostiomeatal complex was very narrow.
Note that your nose may look good on one scan and worse on the other. You have a nasal cycle, and the whole of the nose you breathe through changes every few hours. Sounds funny, but is true and may result in differences on your scan.

The septum correction didn't have any effects yet, except your nose bone feels strange for months, kind of stiff.
When my maxilary sinus is filled with mucus, and it's cloudy or rainy outside, my teeth hurt in my upper jaw. Didn't have that before. I kind of feel the connections in my head now. The one sided PND got even worse, so the nose itself is probably not the problem. May take some time, took years to get my sinuses in this poor condition, the reversal may even take as long :( The tissue needs to get back to normal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic