Your Email Address:

First Name:

Halitosisux - Before you had your wisdom tooth out....

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
thissux
Advanced

Halitosisux - Before you had your wisdom tooth out....

Post by thissux »

Hi, hope you are still doing great! I wanted to ask if you had a coating on your tongue or any other typical bb symptoms prior to getting your wisdom tooth out and getting better? Did that one tooth cause a coated tongue? Also, did you suffer from any PND or stomach conditions as well?
Thanks!!! thissux

aues
Master

Re: Halitosisux - Before you had your wisdom tooth out....

Post by aues »

Don't know about halitosisux, but I had bad breath which seemed to be caused by a whitish tongue. After taking metronidazole and getting wisdom teeth out the bad breath disappeared. I'm cured.
Why we shouldn't eat eggs or egg-products for ethical reasons.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi, I'm doing great thanks. I'm still thinking about this problem and actively trying things out to try to understand the "dynamics" of what goes on in the mouth and of the tongue surface.

I have always had what I'd describe as a normal tongue coating. Quite simply, while I had my stinking wisdom tooth, this coating stunk, and now it does not. What really fascinates me too is how the tonsil on the same side as this tooth (right) was the only one which properly stunk and produced stones. Both tonsils were crypted and looked identical. I think that overall my tongue coating has reduced slightly since I dealt with that tooth.

I have always had PND. One side of my nose (usually my right side) is always constricted. There is always a pool of mucus behind my nose. The mucus is almost always clear and always completely odourless.

I have never had helicobacter pylori and endoscopy showed no signs of gastritis or esophegeal abnormalities. Despite this, I have suffered with excruciating pain when I consume acidic foods. For some unknown reason this stopped around 10 years or so ago. I have smoked on and off since being hit by BB. Smoking helped me to mask my BB in emergencies. For those few minutes it was like eating food, but very quickly the odour turned to that of camel shit. I generally never suffer with reflux, although I do have a lot of throaty cough and feeling of irritation (but this is probably asthma related). I probably have some degree of silent reflux behind all of that.

I think there's too much generalization between BB and tongue coatings. Most people with BB learn that you must brush/scrape the tongue and use antibacterials on it. In reality this probably only makes the situation worse. The simple fact is, the tongue will always have a highly absorbant layer of dead cells on it. The bacteria there will always produce a certain amount of bad smelling chemicals, even in people with clear breath (I believe this is part of what Aydinmur refers to as normal background odour). If a person has "abnormal" oral ecology (such as dryness, abnormal pH, etc) this background bacterial activity can alter for the worse. If, as in my case, a person has a nearby discharge of odour from sinuses, teeth, gums, etc then this discharge will concentrate on the absorbant layer of the tongue coating.

Generally, very light tongue scraping is the only effective way to help reduce odours in such situations, until any underlying cause is discovered. Zinc helps to reduce odour production, as will anything which reduces bacterial activity. Anything which tries to alter bacterial flora, such as antibacterials/antibiotics will only do so temporarily because unaffected bacteria soon take over the role of stench production.
thissux
Advanced

Halitosisux and Aues - the white tongue and now bb gone

Post by thissux »

Hi to you both and thanks for your replies. I am having a bad day, yesterday was my birthday and I have pushed so many people away that I felt so sad. Friends that would always remember my birthday. So both of you had the offending tooth/teeth removed and then the rest of the mouth cleared up? Such as the tongue coating? This is just driving me crazy today and I feel so sad. I see many people talking outside etc. I am switching to Nexium for my reflux in hopes that it may help. I want to get to a dentist and get the bad crown checked out.
Aues - did you have room filling or that distance breath you can smell from yards away. That is what I have. Just going into a store is the pits. How long before you knew it was gone?
Thanks to you both! thissux
aues
Master

Re: Halitosisux and Aues - the white tongue and now bb gone

Post by aues »

thissux wrote:Hi to you both and thanks for your replies. I am having a bad day, yesterday was my birthday and I have pushed so many people away that I felt so sad. Friends that would always remember my birthday. So both of you had the offending tooth/teeth removed and then the rest of the mouth cleared up? Such as the tongue coating? This is just driving me crazy today and I feel so sad. I see many people talking outside etc. I am switching to Nexium for my reflux in hopes that it may help. I want to get to a dentist and get the bad crown checked out.
Aues - did you have room filling or that distance breath you can smell from yards away. That is what I have. Just going into a store is the pits. How long before you knew it was gone?
Thanks to you both! thissux
My bad breath came mainly from my tongue coating.
The bad breath went away, but the tongue coating didn't change that much. There are million of people with great breath and tongue coating. I think it's the tongue coating caused by some of the anaerobic bacteria and not the tongue coating caused by aerobic bacteria what's the problem.

My bad breath was at first not rooming filling, but became it more and more over time. Sleeping even in a big room over night meant the whole room would really stink the next morning.
Shortly after tonsillectomy my bad breath was room filling in like some minutes - even in a big room. After like a week or so my bad breath went back to lower levels - much lower than before tonsillectomy.
I think it stayed about the same level for more than one and a half years. Then metronidazole eliminiated my bad breath completely. Some weeks after the end of the course I noticed some morning bad breath. Some days later my wisdom teeth got pulled and I am bad breath free since then.
Why we shouldn't eat eggs or egg-products for ethical reasons.
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

Thanks to you both for your replies. So from what I am hearing, at least from you two is that it does come from the teeth, gums, mouth and that the PND and reflux just give it fuel to become intense? I have several crowns, one that I believe is quite bad and poorly made. I just got dental insurance and want to go for a cleaning and xrays but my breath is so bad I get embarrassed to go to a waiting room or see anyone. This is hard to deal with. Acid seems to be erroding my teeth as well. Sorry for the spelling there. So both of you have normal breath? Wow. I would give anything and I do pray every day for that. I miss my normal life. You all bring hope to the forum. Please stay around and help us.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I've always believed that PND is only ever exacerbative to any other underlying bad breath situation - for the simple fact that most people do not develop BB when they have colds or allergies or lots of thickened mucus after a cold. If PND was a direct cause of BB then it would always lead to BB in these situations, which it defintely does not.

There's a strong possibility that the development of tonsil stones/tonsil odour are directly attributable to chronic PND. So if tonsils DO happen to be the sole cause of a person's BB, then it might relate to chronic PND in that way. This would explain why transient cases of PND do not cause bad breath. Tonsil crypts probably get bigger and more extensive over time too.

But obviously, if there's underlying sinus/nasal infection then PND will transport bacteria and foul discharges from up there into the throat where odour will concentrate on the back of the tongue.

I don't know how useful this might be for you, but pepto bismol apparently turns black in areas of the mouth where VSC levels are high. Might be worth a try to suck on a lozenge or liquid pepto bismol before going to bed at night and see what happens by morning. This could be a good indicator with your crowns, but I've never heard of anyone doing this before, so it's purely an experimental idea.
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

Thanks for the information....I may try chewing some of those tablets up and see what happens. I just got done using my sinus pulse machine with a combo of saline and baking soda. I will probably get more congested here shortly. I used to have occassional bb, my brother commented on it once, I brushed my teeth and he said much better. Now it is very out of control and brushing doesn't stop it for a minute. I can taste it in the back of my throat Halitosisux....I can feel it back there. Like PND? So if I have bad bacteria in my mouth that is just the fuel for the fire right? Or it just starts in the mouth, then you get a condition that allows it to go wild, such as reflux with PND. Just more fuel for it, not to mention protection for it from brushing when it sits in the back of your throat. Wow that sinus rinse was cold. No idea if it helped or not, just felt like doing it. So frustrating. Have an appt tomorrow and then the next day and I do not want to go. My mom today said she was frustrated with my situation, more or less. I am too. WTF?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic