Your Email Address:

First Name:

I have a job interview Friday.

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
coconuthead
Advanced

I have a job interview Friday.

Post by coconuthead »

I have a job interview Friday. I was just called for an interview Friday and I'm happy, because I wasn't expecting a call so fast, but also nervous. It's a part time job at a department store. I figured any job could be good, because then I'd be forced to talk and somehow this can make me less anxious about my bad breath, because attending college with bad breath is a nightmare. I'm a complete recluse haha.

I was wondering do you guys have any tips on how to mask the smell, besides gum, just for the interview? I'm willing to try anything. I just need something that will keep it as fresh as possible during the interview. I'm afraid that she'll smell my breath during the interview and not hire me. I'm trying to keep a positive mind, though.

aues
Master

Post by aues »

If your smell comes from the tongue: Clean it with something like a paper towel shortly before the interview.
You might want to use something with CHX in it before the interview?

Stay confident, give a steady impression - that's what these people usually want to see...
Why we shouldn't eat eggs or egg-products for ethical reasons.
compor
Advanced
Post by compor »

Hello coconuthead,

How was your interview? I hope you get the job.

It's a bit late but this is what I do on similar occasions. I start preparations a few days before the interview: avoid meat and junk food, drink lots of water and brush/floss regularly and thoroughly. On the day of the interview I eat 2-3 hours earlier, then take a shower, brush/floss etc, drink water and use a non-alcoholic mouthwash. Take a bottle of water with me for the road and also some mouthwash. I go there a bit early and excuse myself to the bathroom, use mouthwash again which provides me safety for about half an hour.

This is the mouthwash I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Listerine-Zero-Mo ... B003QH1P6W

Keep us informed.
deebo

Post by deebo »

coconut , didn't see this 1 till now . Hopefully you're too busy with your new job to reply =) and congrats ! pretty much agree with compor and would add nasal saline rinsing for myself daily for a couple days before . My diet might be lots of white rice and fibrous veg. Avoiding my fats and proteins too much .
Or sometimes I might just be like 'to hell with it' ,let them know what they're in for if they hire me . They will likely think the odor is just 1 off and hire , This happened at my last interview that led to my current job. There were clear signed of discomfort on their part .

We'd like to know how the interview was for you regardless of outcome Coco. We could all use the shared experience .
coconuthead
Advanced

Post by coconuthead »

Hey, thanks everyone. Yesterday morning before the interview I had oatmeal with almond milk, an apple, and I drank some water. I flossed and brushed the best I could. I scraped my tongue really good with the Orabrush, and I rinsed with mouthwash. I also rinsed with mouthwash right before going in. I don't typically carry a purse around, which I should have done to keep the mouthwash in so that I could have went to the restroom and rinsed, because they had me sitting for about 20 minutes before I was called in and I that bitter taste was coming back a little. During the interview there were a few times when she rubbed her nose, but other than that I felt like the interview went well. She said she'd call me in a few days, so I'm hoping for the best :)
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

Hope it goes well for you Coco! :) I've just come across this post as well, I would've been wished you luck. The last job I worked was last year this time when I first started posting. I've been making money on ebay and am now in the process of launching my own website. God is good! I know he will bless you with this job. Cheers
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

I've sent u a pm
coconuthead
Advanced

Post by coconuthead »

Thanks a bunch, Hali. I didn't get your pm though. It's not in my inbox.

Thanks everyone. I got the job. I start tomorrow and I'm a bit anxious.
jess
Sheriff

Post by jess »

Congrats coco. Glad you got it!!
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

Good for you, great work Coco!!
aues
Master

Post by aues »

Congrats.
heregoesnothing

Post by heregoesnothing »

Congratulations!! How did your first couple of days go?
coconuthead
Advanced

Post by coconuthead »

Thanks again everyone.

My first day went okay, I guess. It was just training and orientation. I learned to work the cash register and they went on and on about to how to talk to and treat customers. I could tell though that when she was teaching me how to work the cash register she smelled my breath a couple of times, because she wiped her nose. Yesterday, was probably my worse day, so far. I was helping a girl get down a shirt and I asked her what size and she literally scrunched up her nose. I was supposed to had went back to hanging up clothes, but I was asked to ring up the girl because my co worker had to go the restroom. You know the typical stuff that happens. "Blah blah how are you? Will that be all for you? Do you have a blah blah card? Would you like to sign up for a blah blah card? Your total is blah blah?" You know, the typical. The entire time she was scrunching up her nose. Once she walked off, she said to some other girl, "gosh, her breath smells bad". I mean she didn't even whisper. She said it to where I could hear her. It was awful. After that, I was just ready to hurry up and go home. Today was a little better, but their were a few customers who rubbed their nose.

Now, I start school tomorrow, and honestly, I don't want to go back. I'm sick of school and I hate studying, but hey, I gotta do it.
aues
Master

Post by aues »

@coconuthead: Wish you all the best with your job.
Stay positive and go actively searching for a cure.
stulla

Post by stulla »

Congrats on your new job. Stay POSTIVE and STRONG. Wish you all the best with your studies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic