Cured

Tell us your story with bad breath
aues
Master

Cured

Post by aues »

See here: viewtopic.php?t=3018

tl;dr:
Had bad breath for no apparent reason for a long time. Doctors said I'd be very healthy.
Doctors judged tonsils as healthy.
Bad breath diminished after tonsillectomy, but did not disappear. Post-operational tonsil analysis proved that tonsillectomy had been a medical necessity.
Metronidazole cured me (Don't gargle it. Take it the ordinary way). Don't buy metrondiazole inofficially. Take a printout of this document to your doctor if you want to try it: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... bad_breath

From the point on I took metronidazole my bad breath was gone.

Update [2nd of August 2012]:

Had my wisdom teeth removed some weeks afterwards because of overcrowding and not fully erupted teeth. Every dentist said that my badbreath-problem can't be due those wisdom teeth (even aydinmur said so). I think there is a good chance that they were wrong.

Update [4th of September 2012]:
Still bad breath free. No just somehow free - really completely free.

Update [1st of May 2013]:
Still bad breath free!
Regarding metronidazole: I get some weird nerve sensations on my right head near the temple/ear area from time to time. I highly suspect it started with taking metronidazole. Anyway it's socially okay to have such an odd problem and it's not there all the time, so things are much better than before.
Last edited by aues on Wed May 01, 2013 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sickandtired
Junior

Post by Sickandtired »

Hy there aues, congratulations for your cure, i'm so glad your free of this horrible condition. I have a few questions for you, i saw that pic of your tongue u posted and i can tell it's very similar to mine. Did u have pnd and mucus in your throat? Are u still bb free, and how long did u suffer from bb, when did it start? Does your tongue still have white coating and can you describe what kind of odor you've had?
aues
Master

Post by aues »

No doctor has diagnosed PND. I didn't / don't have mucus pieces in my mouth. Don't know if I have (or have had) PND.

I'm at the moment still bad breath free. Will keep you updated.
My bad breath originated from the whitish tongue coating. But after taking metronidazole the tongue coating hasn't really changed in its optical appearance.

I don't know exactly how long i suffered, but I think it has been nearly a decade.

I'd use the term sewage bad breath (I've heard it somewhere on this board and I think it described my situation well).
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Glad that it worked for you. I do plan to take the link to my doctor.
Please update after 1 or 2 months.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

are you still cured? a lot of people on here have taken metro but the bb came back later.
aues
Master

Post by aues »

ruch wrote:are you still cured? a lot of people on here have taken metro but the bb came back later.

I am still 100% bad breath free.
I can't say for sure if it would have come back by now if my three wisdom teeth hadn't been pulled some weeks ago.
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

Aues
Did you have nasal bb and was your bb originally room filling?
aues
Master

Post by aues »

hali_grl wrote:Aues
Did you have nasal bb and was your bb originally room filling?
I didn't have nasal bad breath.

I became ridiculously more and more pedantic about hygiene over the time. Meanwhile the bad breath became more and more severe. It wasn't immediately room filling before tonsillectomy - but every time I slept for some hours inside a room it would be stinking afterwards.

Shortly after tonsillectomy I had unbelievable room filling bad breath - I can't believe anyone on this board has worse bad breath than the one I had in the days after tonsillectomy. I could enter a big room and the whole room would stink disgusting after five minutes.
Last edited by aues on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Aues, what did the dentist say about the cyst under your wisdom tooth? Are cysts known to ever cause bad breath?

Did any of these 3 wisdom teeth involve any infection or decay?
aues
Master

Post by aues »

halitosisux wrote:Aues, what did the dentist say about the cyst under your wisdom tooth? Are cysts known to ever cause bad breath?

Did any of these 3 wisdom teeth involve any infection or decay?
Afaik the teeth were in good shape. Never heard of an infection regarding my wisdom teeth.

I haven't asked any doctor whether such a cyst could trigger bad breath. In case he's reading this: Maybe Aydin Murat could answer this question?

[EDIT,9th of August]: According to an invoice I got recently they did a histological examination of the cyst. I sent them a mail to get hold of a copy of the results of this examination. Will keep you updated.
By the way: Still bad breath free.
aues
Master

Post by aues »

Still cured.
Why we shouldn't eat eggs or egg-products for ethical reasons.
HigherThoughts
Advanced

Post by HigherThoughts »

Would you say the main thing that got rid of your bad breath was the metronidazole? You say your bb seemed worse right after your tonsillectomy, but did you have any bad smells from your tonsils before you got them removed?

I don't think my tonsils cause my bb because I try rubbing my fingers around that area but I never smell anything. Also I have had my wisdom teeth taken out 7 years ago so no problem from that either.

I am waiting to get metronidazole, but I am not sure if it will help me. I don't know if I have a bacterial infection because every once in a while I can smell a faint fart like smell from my nose.
aues
Master

Post by aues »

HigherThoughts wrote:Would you say the main thing that got rid of your bad breath was the metronidazole?
I suggest by taking metronidazole I had the greatest improvement till that point. But I think the bad breath would have come book over the following months. Metronidazole kills all anaerobic bacteria - those who are responsible for the bad breath. Over time the anaerobic bacteria would have come back and would have thrived at a place near the wisdom teeth. And from this refugium those bad breath bacteria would have contaminated my mouth - especially my tongue on and on.

HigherThoughts wrote: You say your bb seemed worse right after your tonsillectomy, but did you have any bad smells from your tonsils before you got them removed?
No, I wasn't aware of smell originating from my tonsils.

HigherThoughts wrote: I don't think my tonsils cause my bb because I try rubbing my fingers around that area but I never smell anything. Also I have had my wisdom teeth taken out 7 years ago so no problem from that either.
Just in case you can't find any other solution to your problem I'd recommend you to haven them taken out anyway.

HigherThoughts wrote: I am waiting to get metronidazole
Waiting? wtf?!? I hope you get it prescriped by a doctor and not from some shady internet pharmacy - don't be an idiot to mess with your health.

Get metronidazole from a real ENT. Take a printout of this document with you:
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... bad_breath
I'm sure if you are open about your problem and politely towards the doctors you will find one very soon who is willing to prescribe Metronidazole for you.

HigherThoughts wrote:I don't know if I have a bacterial infection because every once in a while I can smell a faint fart like smell from my nose.
This might be a point to start finding your reason for the problem.
And if you just don't have anything else to try that seems like it could possibly help: There's always the possibility to visit someone like Murat Aydin in Istanbul.
HigherThoughts
Advanced

Post by HigherThoughts »

Thanks aues for your info. As I currently don't have health insurance and don't have any money right now I can't afford to go see a doctor. I also have student loan payments, but they are fairly low monthly payments and very manageable.

I did try looking for some health insurance options and I see I may have to pay about $100/month to get one. Once I get some income going then I can get health insurance and start looking for more treatment options. Until then I'm still working on trying to get my income going and hopefully I can work it out.
aues
Master

Post by aues »

HigherThoughts wrote:Thanks aues for your info. As I currently don't have health insurance and don't have any money right now I can't afford to go see a doctor. I also have student loan payments, but they are fairly low monthly payments and very manageable.

I did try looking for some health insurance options and I see I may have to pay about $100/month to get one. Once I get some income going then I can get health insurance and start looking for more treatment options. Until then I'm still working on trying to get my income going and hopefully I can work it out.
Sorry, I forgot your country is unbelievably fucked up. No health insurance...

Taking metronidazole from a shady source is just no option. That's just crazy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic