Your Email Address:

First Name:

Back of tongue odor causes and corrections

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Brad123

Back of tongue odor causes and corrections

Post by Brad123 »

I think this is an important topic to discuss. I welcome all suggestions. Please reply. The topic is the back of tongue odor causes and corrections.

How to test for the odor at the back of the tongue:
1) Wash a spoon clean with water and rubbing alcohol only so their is no residual scent on the spoon.
2) Take the rounded part of the spoon and lightly touch the back of the tongue for 10 seconds while holding your breath.
3) Take the spoon out of your mouth and rest the spoon on a surface while being careful not to touch the rounded part with anything. Rest the spoon for 30 seconds.
4) Now smell the rounded part of the spoon with your nose as close to the spoon as possible. How does it smell?

I have found meat products and meat byproducts make the tongue smell worse.

I have found eating non gluten whole grains seem to reduce the tongue smell.

This is all I have found so far. I would like for others to try this experiment and report back what makes the tongue odor better and what makes it worse.

This discussion may help others achieve freedom from bad breath.

Thanks.

Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

For the last week, I have been taking a multivitamin that is fairly high in the B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, vitamin D3, vitamin K, and vitamin K2 supplements.

When I check for the odor at the back of the tongue, I find almost no smell on three separate days. I have no idea if any of these vitamins are what is helping or if something else is eliminating the smell.
mtr
Advanced

Post by mtr »

Brad123 wrote:For the last week, I have been taking a multivitamin that is fairly high in the B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, vitamin D3, vitamin K, and vitamin K2 supplements.

When I check for the odor at the back of the tongue, I find almost no smell on three separate days. I have no idea if any of these vitamins are what is helping or if something else is eliminating the smell.

This is interesting Brad! Keep us updated!
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

I found out it wasn't the nutritional supplements that was eliminating the odor at the back of the tongue. It was the brown rice that did the trick

Jimi is correct. He mentioned recently in a post that brown rice will reduce bad breath. I ate only plain brown rice and drank water for a week and nothing else. The odor at the back of the tongue is very faint. It is almost not noticeable.

Now brown rice doesn't contain much calcium or certain other nutrients. So I would recommend taking nutritional supplements to make sure you are getting enough nutrients.

Brown rice contains no gluten, only 1 gram of sugar, no cholesterol, it has essential fatty acids, contains protein, has B vitamins, and contains plenty of fiber.
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

I ate a can of white kidney beans. It made the back of my tongue smell all day long.

The tongue smell might be caused from the high amounts of protein that are contained in beans and in meat products.
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

This brown rice diet is amazing. I didn't brush my teeth for 24 hours. I then woke up in the morning and checked my tongue. There was no smell.
Itwillend
Total Newbie

Post by Itwillend »

I'm actully starting to try with a more fiber going diet right now. And it somehow seems to improve my breath when I've included a topside scraping of my mouth.

But I dunno, I could never go into such diet as you do now for the moment.
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

I am very happy myself and others are getting results with eliminating odor from the tongue and saliva.

In the last month, I have eliminated the smell with whole grains, and others have eliminated it with zinc and copper vitamins, zinc lactate toothpaste, diets high in fiber, and medications.

This is exciting news. I think we are making great progress towards at least a temporary cure. Once we have established a temporary cure for many here, we then can start working on a permanent cure.

Thanks again for everyone who posts on this forum.
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

I have found that toothpaste is a frequent cause of odor at the back of the tongue. I have been testing this for a while now.

My solution is to brush my teeth with toothpaste. Then I brush my teeth gently with water immediately after to clean all the residual toothpaste out of my mouth.

This along with eating healthy has eliminated the smelly tongue and type 1 bad breath.

The toothpaste leaves residue in your mouth which traps in plaque and bacteria.
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

It has been 9 weeks since I first started this post. Here is the update.

The back of the tongue hasn't had any odor that is detectable with using my finger. It doesn't matter if I brush my teeth or skip a day of brushing. There never is any smell on the tongue.

I eat the same meal every time. I cook up some short-grain brown rice along with wild rice. After it is done cooking, I put plenty of Spanish extra virgin olive oil in it. I also put a can of sardines in the brown rice. I add salt to the rice. I eat these foods twice a day. Once at noon and once in the evening. It is this exact same meal every time.

I take plenty of vitamins to make up for any possible lack of vitamins.

I have recently switched to a salt toothpaste which I like because it doesn't have an aftertaste.
Source

Post by Source »

Brad, thank you for keeping us updated. I'm sure we all appreciate it a lot.

With your current diet, how would you rate your BB on a scale of 1-10? 1 being completely normal and 10 being very offensive?
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

Source wrote:Brad, thank you for keeping us updated. I'm sure we all appreciate it a lot.

With your current diet, how would you rate your BB on a scale of 1-10? 1 being completely normal and 10 being very offensive?
I would rate it as 1. My girlfriend told me last weekend that I should feel lucky that I never smell. That made me realize that I have reached my goal.

One thing I have noticed since switching over to the salt toothpaste is my tongue's coating is pinkish/red with no white residue. Maybe salt is the key to a pinkish/red tongue. I never brush my tongue. But the salt may change the conditions of the mouth.

Weleda is the brand I use for the salt toothpaste.
Source

Post by Source »

Lucky you man :]

When you did have BB, do you ever recall your water smelling/tasting different a few minutes after taking a sip from it?

I've noticed that the taste and smell of the water changes noticeably a few minutes after taking a sip.

What could this be indicative of?

And what brand is your brown rice? How exactly do you cook it?
Source

Post by Source »

Brad123 wrote:
Source wrote:
One thing I have noticed since switching over to the salt toothpaste is my tongue's coating is pinkish/red with no white residue. Maybe salt is the key to a pinkish/red tongue. I never brush my tongue. But the salt may change the conditions of the mouth.

Weleda is the brand I use for the salt toothpaste.
I normally don't have a thick coating on my tongue, but when I brush my tongue, I can really smell a potent odor coming from it, especially from the back.

When I brush with a regular fluoride toothpaste, the odor of my mouth changes, though to nothing pleasant. It's like whatever is causing my BB reacts with the fluoride toothpaste to create a slightly different odor.

When I brush with a salt-based toothpaste (Arm & Hammer with Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda) I normally don't have to brush my tongue too much as it becomes pink by the time I get to my tongue.
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

Source wrote:Lucky you man :]

When you did have BB, do you ever recall your water smelling/tasting different a few minutes after taking a sip from it?

I've noticed that the taste and smell of the water changes noticeably a few minutes after taking a sip.

What could this be indicative of?

And what brand is your brown rice? How exactly do you cook it?
Yes, when I did have bad breath my water would taste different after leaving it set for a little bit.

I believe it is caused by the tongue coating becoming overpopulated and reaching the lips. The lips may have a tiny bit of white dead skin on them. This is the tongue's coating making its way to the lips. This gets transferred to the water after sipping on it. After a little bit of time, the water has a different smell and taste to it.

After checking for the back of the tongue smell with your finger, you need to wait a little bit to check for the smell. This is the same as for checking the smell of the water.

I use two brands of brown rice. Both are short grain brown rice. I alternate them.
1) Lunberg short grain brown rice
2) Bob's Red Mill whole grain wild and brown rice

I use a rice cooker to cook it. It takes around 55 minutes to cook it. After it is done cooking, I put quite a bit of Spanish olive oil in it, so I can get enough calories for the day. I open a can of sardines and mix it in with the cooked rice, so I can get enough protein and omega fatty acids. And I put some salt in the rice.

It actually is my favorite tasting meal of all time. At first, it was difficult to eat. But after a couple of weeks, I like it better than everything else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic