Your Email Address:

First Name:

Bloated stomach

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
Itwillend
Total Newbie

Bloated stomach

Post by Itwillend »

I've since I got BB 6-7 years ago had a bloated stomach. I went to the doc's to get this checked out and they found nothing beside me having a loose sphincer below my throat and above my stomach (I don't know the medical term). They told me I had GERD and got put on medication. Problem was that I still had a bloated stomach.

Fast forward to today. I get the feeling that air travels from my lower intestines (Above my rectum, the left side of my stomach) and throughout my entire body til' I finally burp it out. I always get this feeling when I'm laying down on my BACK in my bed. But then I don't get a sour taste in my mouth (or bad breath). But as soon as I turn to sleep on the right or left side I stop having this bloated feeling and start having a sour taste in my mouth instead. Can this be related to swallowing air or something wrong with my lower colon?

I've no real idea what is going on with my body, but it really seems like my bad breath problem is somewhat related to the air in my stomach. The problem is no doc's believe me and now I'm ending up taking anti-depressive medications because they think it can help my IBS.

Does anyone have any understanding if this can be the cause of my bad breath?

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

You should put this to Dr. Aydinmur in his thread.
I recall him mentioning something about BB getting worse when lying down, that it signifies something.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Aerophagia?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I just looked up Aerophagia, but I don't think it was that.
jiazzsy
Junior

Post by jiazzsy »

I was on anti-biotics for IBS, till a week ago and my mouth felt clean and fresh till last night. I could even speak to people in a lift! Last night, I ate some real spicy food and felt heart burn almost immediately after eating. In the next 1 hour, I noticed that the post-nasal drip that wasn't there all this week was starting. I felt some lump stuck in the throat. It could be because, the reflux doesn't let the mucous slide down the throat or is slowing down the flow. I tried sleeping on the sides but the throat wouldn't clear. Today, I felt my breath return to its normal "stinky" self. There is definitely a strong relationship between bad breath and obstruction of the flow of saliva down the esophagus. If we notice, most of us have stomach related issues here.
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Sounds like LPR is your problem. I suspect many people on these boards have it as well. I have done a lot of internet research on LPR and i haven't found one solid cure. There is a thread where people are being 90% cured by taking small doses of xanax and carafate. Evidently, stress is the major factor in LPR so it would make sense that xanax helps. Also, there was a GERD conference this week in Las Vegas and there have been clinincal trials on over 200 people for an esophageal stimulator that has had a very high success rate in improving LPR symptoms.

I have LPR and GERD with a 2cm hiatal hernia and barretts esophagus. I plan on getting the TIF proceedure for the hernia and the stimulator for the LPR if it pases all trials. There is also somethingg called the LINX procedure that looks uses magnets around your esophagus but isn't going to work for me due to the barrett's.

Sorry for the rant but when anyone says hey have a lump in the throat feeling and excessive mucus, I just assume it's LPR as plain old GERD doesn't usually make all the way up to your sinuses.
Itwillend
Total Newbie

Post by Itwillend »

NOTANYMORE wrote:Aerophagia?
My father and grandfather have/had the same problem, but both stop caring and just lived with it.

As far as the stress related issue... it might be true, since I'm stressed out when talking to people (who wouldn't be when knowing they'd bad breath haha). And I'm going into treatment in december so I can start to relieve that.

Btw, I read somewhere that to cure GERD you'd to sleep in an incline. So now I've laid 3 planks under the head side of my bed to make a 15 cm (6 inch) height change. Since it's only been a day or two I can't really tell the difference. But my stomach seems calmer than before. I'll keep you updated on this matter, hopes it atleast helps my stomach problems :D
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Itwillend wrote:
NOTANYMORE wrote:Aerophagia?
My father and grandfather have/had the same problem, but both stop caring and just lived with it.

As far as the stress related issue... it might be true, since I'm stressed out when talking to people (who wouldn't be when knowing they'd bad breath haha). And I'm going into treatment in december so I can start to relieve that.

Btw, I read somewhere that to cure GERD you'd to sleep in an incline. So now I've laid 3 planks under the head side of my bed to make a 15 cm (6 inch) height change. Since it's only been a day or two I can't really tell the difference. But my stomach seems calmer than before. I'll keep you updated on this matter, hopes it atleast helps my stomach problems :D

As simple a thing it is, I haven't tried doing this.. Though, if sleeping laying down was really the problem, why does BB persist way up until late night just as strong, if not stronger than when you woke up?
Itwillend
Total Newbie

Post by Itwillend »

mike987 wrote:As simple a thing it is, I haven't tried doing this.. Though, if sleeping laying down was really the problem, why does BB persist way up until late night just as strong, if not stronger than when you woke up?
I haven't been cured of GERD, making this go on all day long. My concerns are that during my sleep my esophagus would still get "hit" my the acid in my stomach. Making the healing process idle.

This is just a test after all. Will sleep like this for maybe ... 2 months.
stulla

Post by stulla »

@Itwillend if the sleeping method does not work for you, it may be a good idea to look at surgical options. Medications(PPI, BCL Bethane etc.),diet changes, sleep methods, and exercise helps some people but does not work for others. In some cases the LES muscle is weak(like in your case) and does not keep the acid down. When this is the case, most of the time surgery can reinforce the LES and keep the acid down. I am getting an LNF done this week because I also have reflux along with a hiatal hernia.
Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

Plain yogurt will help with bloating.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
deebo

Post by deebo »

Itwillend , Jimi mentioned sleeping on an incline a while ago . I have tried this and it actually seemed to help with digestion issues for a while . I may try again and see . Lots of products touting the same benefits for GERD and such . youtube.com/watch?v=qlCXPbcYZo4&feature=

Something I notice is when I sleep on my left there I get the constant bubbling in my stomach/bowel.. . As soon as I move to my right,the rumbling stops. There are times when this sound would wake me up ! But now I read that sleeping on the Right side may be bad (?)!

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/the-benefits-of-left-side-sleeping/
So maybe the noise is the lesser of two problems .

Another thing to dig into is 'Non-acid reflux' . I've posted about it last week . PPI and acid reducers are said to make it worse. Gonna add it to me list of things to check out in the new year .
NOTANYMORE
Master

Post by NOTANYMORE »

Yeah, non acid reflux is a new finding and from what i've read, is almost always caused by stress. People are over worked, mentally and physically taxed, and over caffeinated. Just cutting caffeine (although almost impossible), greatly improves my symptoms. Elevating the bed makes sense because whatever success you have repairing damaged tissue in the esophagus during the day, is quickly reversed when laying supine at night. It certainly doesn't help when you are constantly worried about your breath which would be enough to increase acid in most anyone.
deebo

Post by deebo »

NOTANYMORE wrote:Yeah, non acid reflux is a new finding and from what i've read, is almost always caused by stress. People are over worked, mentally and physically taxed, and over caffeinated....... It certainly doesn't help when you are constantly worried about your breath which would be enough to increase acid in most anyone.
Exactly . Its completely plausible to me that someone starting with regular , occasional bb could end up with a full blown chronic case just from the incredible anxiety and maybe misuse of products trying to 'cure' it .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic