Your Email Address:

First Name:

Back from Surgery!! Tonsillectomy

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

Stankie didn't mean to offend, sorry. I read your other thread, and honestly I know you have a lot of ground to cover so it's long. I appreciate you trying to help others :D

halitosisux When I do a nasal rinse I feel water going into my nose and down my mouth, like there's a hole or something.
During the day when saliva leaks into my mouth, it tastes sour.
I could have TMAU but the smell keeps getting better, not as strong as before. I've read that TMAU is incurable but controllable?

"...mucous color isn't a reliable indicator of whether or not a person has a bacterial infection"
After tonsillectomy, the surgeon said "there was a lot of yellow stuff under the tonsil, it turns out you had a streptococci infection, it's not a fungal infection but a bacterial infection"

Day 35: Wow my breath is down to 8%, what a difference. A co-worker use to cough around me, but today not a peep. I was talking to a customer today, he did a clearing of throat when he came a bit too close, my heart sank like the titanic, but when I was introducing him to a new product, he actually stepped closer to me. I had to take a step or two back.
Maybe it's all in my head, but I feel so close to being cured.

What did I do to bring it down to 8%?
Well I was doing the saline nasal rinse, been squirting:
1 cup of water with some sea salt 3 times a day with a syringe.
This morning I woke up and did the rinse, a HUGE GLOB of mucus came sliding down my nose, and it was a green glob, it was because of that that my breath took a huge leap from 10% to 8% today.
tomorrow if I can get another huge glob I'll take a pic for anyone interested.
8%!!! wow, people now can talk to me without flinching back after leaning in, pinching nose, or nose rubbing, some people even leaned closer o_O
However there is still a hand to nose/face, when they get a whiff of that remaining 8%.
Today was a pretty good day, my parents didn't even roll down the windows as they always do, it remained shut throughout the whole trip.

Good News: my saliva is 90% close to normal. I know it's still sour, but the thing is that I CAN'T EVEN taste the sourness. The saliva taste like nothing, well close to nothing, or maybe it's because I have a cold?

Not so good news: I have a cold, my nose is kinda blocked, no wonder why I think my breath is almost gone.
Today in the late afternoon, I received a sharp pain in my chest. I know it's because of tonsillectomy. I really stress the importance of tonsils, don't take them out if it UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE IT'S INFECTED. I had to pause for 3 whole minutes like an idiot clutching my chest because of the pain. Wow. Back when I had the tonsil I never had this kind of pain before, kinda miss the bugga's, NOT. I'd rather deal with physical pain than mental pain.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hmmm.. well either that's just the water flowing into your mouth from the throat when you do your saline rinses, or you have some strange hole in the roof of your mouth that shouldn't normally be there?

IF you did have such a hole, then oral bacteria and debris would pass up into what I presume would be your nasal cavity or sinuses. It goes without saying what the results of that would be!
searching
Master
Post by searching »

halitosisux wrote:Hmmm.. well either that's just the water flowing into your mouth from the throat when you do your saline rinses, or you have some strange hole in the roof of your mouth that shouldn't normally be there?

IF you did have such a hole, then oral bacteria and debris would pass up into what I presume would be your nasal cavity or sinuses. It goes without saying what the results of that would be!
Perhaps what is being described is the flow of nasal-rinse liquid when performing Stage 2 nasal irrigation, i.e. in through the nose, over the roof of the soft palate, and into the mouth, carrying mucus with it. I use the same pathway.

Congratulations BTS. Sounds like progress.
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

@searching, hey man glad you still around :D, I really love your post
Fresh Breath - Cause Found - Mission Accomplished
It was because of your posts that I started the nasal rinse, every morning I get some green discharge, I can even feel my nose clearing up, been smelling things that I never could smell. I don't mind not smelling everything as long as I don't have bb.

Could you please give me some advice on how you clean the tonsil area?
I can't seem to get behind the flap, I gag or my tongue gets in the way.

I just realized that the nasal passage reaches up all the way to the forehead, ever since discharging lots of mucus, I haven't been seeing a lot of floaters in my eyes. I had no idea it was related to the mucus.

Omg today the smell went up to 15% I would say, I've been vigorously scrubbing the back of my tongue this morning, that I may have ripped open a small wound on the tonsil area. Been tasting something bloody in my mouth, needless to say my breath is a bit foul with the blood. When I tried to eat lunch the left tonsil area hurts like hell. After 1 month and still not fully healed -__-
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

Born To Suffer wrote:Could you please give me some advice on how you clean the tonsil area?
I can't seem to get behind the flap, I gag or my tongue gets in the way.
To clean my tonsils I use a WaterPik with the tongue cleaner tip seen here: http://www.waterpik-store.com/imagesEdp/p84269z.jpg.

I cup each tonsil with the tool tip and it emits a diffused, fan-shaped stream of warm solution, i.e. salt & baking soda, that shears material from the area. I also irrigate the surrounding area. Overcoming the gag reflex is difficult and it’s useful to be prepared to stop the flow, or move the tip to a less-sensitive spot, when you sense the onset of gagging.
bbreathking
Junior

Post by bbreathking »

Wow nice. Took me about more than an hour to read this whole thread. Good job man. Seems like you are cured.

Good job ! you really went for the surgeries and everything.. Brave !
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

bbreathking hey man thanks for being a fan. Although I'm not fully cured yet I still like to update every now and then. \:D/
Yea I was desperate for a cure, I knew it was mainly oral so I just went for it. Trust me when you want something bad enough you'll do anything.., even sell your soul to the devil. Been suffering for 23 years and enough is enough.

Day 38: I'm at 7% today. The real cause of the remaining 7% is in my nasal area. Been flushing like crazy, but every morning just more mucus, no more nasty green but yellow now.
I actually enjoy doing the rinse to be honest, I like seeing the crap coming out and going down to hell, drain, stupid mucus giving me so much problem.
I'm just glad I may not have to go through surgery again just to remove, but who knows.
My cold is going away, and I can smell more clearly now, some mucus got stuck on the sink and I took a whiff, smells like cat urine, wtf.
I don't know if people can smell my breath like that, omg how embarrassing. Sometimes my mouth feels neutral but still an odour.
I think in my previous life I was a cat, fishy odour and cat urine, ugh.
I spoke to some customers and most reactions were a touch to the corner of nose. No more nose smashing or coughing.
I have 3 days off, going to do more rinse with my head over hot water. Hopefully I can blast everything out after xmas.
Youz123

Post by Youz123 »

Can you keep doing these updates. I always check. Im hoping to get my tonsils removed soon, they have huge holes in them and im thinking thats the cause. One of my widsom teeth has come out a little but im not sure if thats the cause...

Anyways, I hope to keep hearing from your updates. And you state that you now have 7% left, does 7% mean you can actually speak face to face with someone and not have them smell it? Thanks
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

And you state that you now have 7% left, does 7% mean you can actually speak face to face with someone and not have them smell it? Thanks
Youz123 Hey another fan :D
Well everyone is different, my 7% could be someone's 100%. When I say 7% it's like 7% compared to before. Back then before w/t removal people could smell me far far away. My smell just flies across the room and smacks them in the face. It's hard to say if the smell is still really bad or what, some people don't react when I talk directly, some turn away quickly, some touch their nose. Whether having 1% or 7% odour, odour is still odour. I'm aiming for 0%, I'm uncertain as to whether or not that can really be accomplished, I could be stuck on 5-7% forever. But compared to before I'm really grateful.
I have a cousin who would stick 2 fingers up his nose when talking to me. I can't imagine the pain I put people through having to deal with my bb.
When my mouth is dry, the 7% goes up a bit, also when I eat sweets it can mask my bb completely. I can talk to people without them flinching away, they actually come nearer. Back then sweets can't even mask the smell it makes my bb worse.
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

Day 49: Still not cured... but I'm at 6%. Wow what a difference.
People can talk to me without touching their face.
It's really hard to determine how bad the smell is without a close friend being honest. I was talking to someone with bb, I didn't react or flinch or cough.
I know there are a lot of people who won't react to odors directly, so it's hard to determine the extent of bb.
But these days I can hardly smell anything. The only way to get an accurately smell anything is to spit on my sink and let it dry for 15mins, and then taking a sniff. Boy does it smell. Smells like fish, and urine...
When I stink my tongue out, I get some minor sulphur and bloody smell. But I can't smell fish or urine.
When I lick my palm, the smell is very minor.

What's really helping me is the nasal rinse. I've been bending backwards, literally, trying to get all the mucus out. Now I've been getting clear mucus, and my bb is improving. Just last night I blew out some black particles, I think it's dried blood from a previous surgery? I remember getting some old brown blood on my tongue during one of my rinses. I really think I have some dried blood stuck in my nasal area.

The fishy odor comes from my maxillary sinus rather than TMAU.
Although I'm not 100% sure if it's TMAU or not. Because the fishy smell is very strong especially in the morning, and only in the left side, but after brushing my teeth, that smell is almost gone.
When I was younger I had a cyst growing in my maxillary sinus, and I would get a fishy discharge. But after I had surgery the fishy smell went away, now it's back again after my recent w/t removals, only it's very weak and not as strong as before. Especially after nasal rinses, the smell is geting weaker and weaker.

http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

Those who have a fishy smell should take a look at the maxillary sinus as being a culprit. The pus/cyst can cause a stinky fishy smell.

Waking up my tongue is 90% clear. Nice and red.

Con:
Still getting an itchy and sore scalp.
Youz123

Post by Youz123 »

Have you tried scraping your tongue at all? And why don't you ask a trusted friend/family to smell your breath?

Before you got your tonsils removed, did you always taste the bad breath?
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

I got a question.

When you had your pre-op assessment, did the doctor take a swab sample of your nose?

The Dr. put an earbud in my nose and swirling around then put in a bag, I wonder if they ran any test on it??

I'm sitll waiting to see my ent again to arrange a ct scan of the sinuses.
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

@Youz123, hey back then I have to scrape really hard, until my tongue bled.
There was a thick layer of gunk. Now I just scrape with tongue scraper once or twice and my tongue is nice and clean.

o_O I know I have bb, I have friends who said my breath stinks prior to the surgery. The comment really hurts, but in the end I got over it. I mean my breath does stink, why bother lying to myself?
I know it still stinks but more bearable I think? I can just tell by the reactions that I still have bb.

Before w/t removal I can taste bb. After eating one or two hours later, my whole mouth taste like garbage. It wasn't a fresh/good feeling

@FedUp Hmm... I didn't mention anything about pnd pre-op so maybe that's why he didn't check? He just took a look into my ears and throat.

Day 54: still not cure, but at 5%. I spoke to someone at a closer range and no horrendous reaction. I still wonder maybe I'm not getting better, but my sense is adapting to the smell and taste, so it fools me into thinking I'm better?
My mouth certainly feels fresher and less sour. Even my co worker tends to walk past me more often, back then he would always avoid walking in my direction.
I would say that my stink is definitely coming from my nasal area.
Most people have w/t removed and recovered within a month.
Whereas I am still suffering, but it gets better every time I do the nasal rinse.

Today I blew out some nasty brown junk. Totally gross. But I really don't want to go through surgery again to fix anything.
After doing a few rinses, my left ear clogged up for a few days. It worried me that I blew some infection in there. But whatever I went ahead and kept rinsing and my ear unclogged a bit today.
If you feel that your ears are infected, go see the ENT because you may have some bacteria there already or continue rinsing which can also clear up the ear infection, contrary to popular belief that nasal rinse can cause an infection.
Born To Suffer
Master

Post by Born To Suffer »

Day xx:

Still not cured, but I thought I should give a quick update.
I think I'm at 4%, spoke to a few people who gathered closely around me, and no one reacted!!!
whoopiee I guess.

Today after another rinse, I blew out another green glob it was huge.
And I got another little scary surprise. I blew out a parasite/some white bug from my nose. I thought it was a few hair from the nose, so I picked it up and inspected it, and it was definitely a freaking bug. It was all white and so scary looking, if it didn't happen to me I wouldn't have believed it!!
Sometimes I can even feel the lining in the roof of my mouth get all puffy.
100% infection going on in there. Just glad I found a way to get it out of my system.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

get to your ENT asap, pulling continuous discoloured mucus and bugs can't be good.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic