Your Email Address:

First Name:

cure report #10 (Laser Nasal surgery) must read if u hav PND

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
who farted?
Junior

Post by who farted? »

Arch when i was a teen i also had the golf ball in throat sensation when to the docs several times they said it was due to swallowing air load a bull found out it was allergy to egg yoke and cows milk

When i was a teen, it felt like i had a golf ball stuck in my throat, the feeling was that intense. It's not nearly as bad nowadays, couldn't tell you why it dissipated.

Many BB sufferers have a lump in throat, white tongue and PND. What does it mean if you don't have PND but have the other 3 symptoms? That's anyone's guess. The culprit of your BB could still be the same as someone with PND. Or maybe you do have PND and you're not aware of it.[/quote]

Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

You can easily have post-nasal drip and not be aware of it. It's not like a dripping faucet. It slowly makes its way from your sinuses into your throat, but you won't actually feel that. However, when the mucus accumulates in your throat, you will feel that at some point. That accumulation stagnates there and will take on an odor which is exhaled through the mouth. If you have to clear your throat several times a day, you probably have mucus in your throat and the most likely cause would be post nasal drip.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Phantasist, when you hack up any mucus that's been stagnating for a while, does the mucus ever smell bad (in proportion to the overall odour)?

Or do you think the mucus is simply leading to more naturally occuring bacterial activity on the carpet of bacteria on the back of the tongue?
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Halitosisux,

I don't know if the mucus itself smells bad because I'm not able to spit it out - I simply swallow it. (I think the stomach acid takes care of it)

I can only tell you that the more mucus I'm able to clear out of my throat, the less odor there is on my breath - even if I don't brush my teeth, scrape the tongue or floss. Therefore I assume that the stale mucus in the throat is the source of the bad smell. I have developed a technique for clearing the throat, but it is not 100% and I do it twice a day, morning and afternoon. It helps a lot, but the mucus keeps accumulating, so you have to do it every day. I believe the mucus mixed with the nutrients from food that passes through your throat produces a bacteria factory.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

It's strange because I have a lot of PND. Sometimes when I wake up it takes me all morning of snorting and hacking to feel like my sinuses and throat have cleared.

My mucus doesn't settle in my throat though. Once I clear it it's all gone, until it pools up again a few minutes later and I have to clear it again.

Do you cough up any of this mucus? Could it be coming from your lungs?
Could it even be reflux from your stomach or some kind of pharyngeal pouch type abnormality where your mucus is collecting?
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Halitosisux,

I will try to answer your questions as best I can:

I cough up the mucus, but I can't actually spit it out - I can only swallow it.

It can't be coming from my lungs. I have never had trouble with my lungs and some years ago when a doctor took x-rays of my lungs he said I have terrific looking lungs (I never smoked).

I am not aware of any reflux from my stomach. I think that would produce a burning sensation, which I don't have.

I suppose some type of pharyngeal pouch is a possibility, but it would take a doctor to diagnose that.

I think the most likely problem area is my sinuses, because I have always had trouble with my sinuses. When I sleep on my left side my left nostril blocks up and I can only breathe through the right one. When I turn over on my right side, the right nostril blocks up within about two minutes. When I get up in the morning and throw some hot water on my face, I have to blow my nose a couple of times to get all the mucus out. My sinuses get worse in the winter when it gets cold and damp. The thing is that there is probably no cure for that. The mucus membrane in my body seems to be very sensitive.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

halitosisux wrote:It's strange because I have a lot of PND.
For what it's worth, i don't think there is a correlation between the amount of PND i have and the intensity of my breath. My bb is the same, regardless of how much PND i have which can vary a lot depending on diet, season and who knows what else. I remember when i tried the fruitarian diet for a couple of months, i had the most PND ever but my breath wasn't as bad as it normally was (it was still bad though).

Also, everything Phantasist said in the post above this one applies to me as well: can't spit the mucous out, can only swallow it or cough it up if i try hard, blocked nostril, never had reflux, etc.

There are definitely many symptoms associated with BB that many sufferers here share.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

The question is?

What is KNOWN to cause PND?

And what can stop it?

I'm sick to death of PND. I just don't know what to do anymore...

I got one more ENT visit then I'm out on my ass..
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Phantasist, sorry if this is an insulting question but have you ever had any kind of scan of your sinuses?

It's quite normal for one side of the nose to be congested, switching sides occasionally, all as part of the systems which regulate the temperature and humidity of the air passing into the lungs, but this near-instant switching of sides you've described sounds a lot like the description of nasal polyps. These cause nasal blockage and are associated with sinus problems and PND (and even bad breath) and are very common in those with allergies and asthma apparently.

Usually, PND is actual post nasal drip, but it could also be confused with any excessive mucus production that can get into the throat, i.e. from the trachea or the stomach (via gastric reflux). My PND definitely comes from the back of my nose because most of the time I can snort it away every few minutes, and can actually feel it releasing from "up there". Once I've cleared it away it all gone for the next few minutes.

The fact you can't capture it and spit it out might mean it's coming from an area past your throat, like your stomach. Reflux from the stomach can quite often be without any noticeable harsh symptoms. A pharyngeal pouch type abnormality is always a possibility, as is a hernia type issue.

Archi, I wish we had definite answers to such questions. I think there's a good possibility that there might be something different about the mucus itself for some. It might even just be the physical characteristics of the mucus - the thickness, the stickiness etc, leading to the sensation of excessive mucus (and BB). Or it might be chemical reasons, such as the quantity and the type of protein the mucus is made of, or components that are missing or not functioning normally.

It might just be that it depends on which bacterial mix we have in our mouth and throat, and that if we're fortunate to have a good mix, excessive mucus won't matter, but with a bad mix of bacteria then even with normal mucus levels it causes bad breath, but with just a slight increase it makes the breath a LOT worse.

Sounds so simple for science to work out, but yet we don't even know the answers to the most basic shit like this.
ttlxman

Post by ttlxman »

I have had the exact same problem for 8+ years now. Tested negative on skin prick for every allergy, twice. Constantly congested 24/7, sounds like I have a stuffy nose all the time + sinus headaches and never-ending PND. It's not related to the season or where I live, and I've been across the world in a different climate entirely for a long time and felt the same. I am positive the PND is causing my breath issues because I can even taste it as it begins to sour. CT scan completely clear, besides the obvious inflammation. ENT, GP and Allergist are clueless. Antihistamines don't work, nasal steroids don't work.

Out of desperation I have been on a strict gluten + dairy free diet for the last week with a small improvement so far. I'm planning to continue it for at least a month because I've read from someone that it took this long to even start clearing up their PND which eventually solved their problem. I've always had stomach issues so I'm hoping it really is all caused by some food allergy and this nightmare ends.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

halitosisux wrote: PND is actual post nasal drip, but it could also be confused with any excessive mucus production that can get into the throat, i.e. from the trachea or the stomach (via gastric reflux).

The fact you can't capture it and spit it out might mean it's coming from an area past your throat, like your stomach. Reflux from the stomach can quite often be without any noticeable harsh symptoms.
I thought about that too. I'm not sure the mucous i have in my throat is from PND. I do get PND fairly often but just because i get PND doesn't mean the mucous / lump in my throat was formed because of PND.

Does anyone here have a lump in their throat without having PND?

I will read up on nasal polyps, i don't know much about them.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I've never seen a proper explanation for what causes this lump in the throat feeling.

A lot of people on here describe having this, yet it's not something I've ever heard "normal" people ever mention. So there's a good chance that whatever it is, that it relates in some way to bad breath.

Could it be irritation of the the epiglottis?

Usually when I choke I can feel my epiglottis has been irritated and it drives me nuts with the feeling of something being stuck there.

Could it be chronic inflammation of the epiglottis?
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

For what it's worth, I'm not nearly as educated as you guys are about bb in general, but I have nasal polyps for a fact as well as PND. I read that irrigating regularly SHOULD keep your sinuses from backing up and that if you can't clear up using regular irrigation there is a more serious issue. ie. nasal polyps/allergic rhinitis.

It seems to me that no matter how often I use my Neti pot within minutes I am congested or PND has started again. The polyps could be blocking mucus and preventing proper drainage leading to buildup at the back of the throat.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Halitosisux,

No, I have never had any kind of scan of my sinuses - only x-rays. The ENT doctor said that I don't have an infection, but I do have a deviated septum. I don't think that is the cause of PND. I have known people with a deviated septum (very common) and they didn't have bad breath.

I do believe the collection of mucus in my throat has a lot to do with my bad breath, but if the mucus isn't coming from my sinuses, then I don't know where it's coming from. I don't have any known allergies and I don't have asthma.

I will just add that the two problem areas in my body are the sinuses and the digestive tract. I don't think it's a coincidence. Both parts are lined with mucous membrane, and those seem to be the weak areas in my body, and have been since my childhood.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

A deviated septum will cause PND if it leads to any nasal congestion. It can interfere with sinus drainage and aspiration too, which will also cause PND and potentially even infection if sinuses are blocked.

I have no idea if a normal xray would be able to see polyps. Every discussion I've seen regarding polyps mentions CT scan.

They can definitely be a cause of bad breath, particularly nasal odour when breathing out through the nose.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic