Your Email Address:

First Name:

What does Your Mouth Feel Like???

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
helpmoi
Total Newbie

Post by helpmoi »

Hi everyone, I've been suffering from what I think is chronic halitosis for 6 years now. It all started when I accidentally left a food wrapper in my pocket and this "friend" very loudly and bluntly exclaimed that I stunk in front of everyone. I quickly threw the wrapper away and that was that, but I just couldn't shake the experience. I had no problems prior to this, and this was an isolated occurrence. Over time, though, it just kept eating at me till I became neurotic. With no solution and each passing day, I get sicker in the head, which I believe only exacerbates my condition.

What might have started as halitophobia has manifested into real halitosis. No one has ever told me that I have bad breath or ever talk about me. However, I interact with people on a daily basis, and about 90% of them always do a slight nose rub. Funny thing is I'm relatively far, yet they never fail to run their nose.... I watch some of these same people interact with others, and never do they rub their nose while conversing. This is affecting my professional life greatly because people like to come close when talking, but I just keeping backing away and worse I only use short sentences, so I come off as inpatient, uncaring and incompetent....

I'm pretty sure I have bad breath, but help me be 100% sure. I believe PND is definitely a huge contributor to my halitosis. That in combination with my extreme anxiety, which causes dry mouth whenever I'm around people. Dry mouth turns my tongue into a sponge for mucus/gunk it seems. Can someone with nasal issues please describe to me what their mouth feels like normally? How do you KNOW that you have halitosis without asking someone? I tried asking and no one wants to be the bad guy.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Has anyone ever asked ify ou had farted whilst you'd been around?

Or made comments about your odor?

I'm not gonna say you're halitophobic cos I've had days with no reactions and days with them.

I think if no-one talks bad about you then you're ok.

my mouth feels heavy all day full of post gaysal drip, i hate it.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

My mouth always feels heavy as well, and constantly has a weird taste. Whatever I eat or drink I could always taste traces of it in my mouth and it tastes really bad, I hate it! I can never get my mouth to feel and taste neutral or clean! I think that's the first indicator that you have BB, then you're presumptions/doubts are confirmed by people's reactions!

glamourgirl05
Junior

Post by glamourgirl05 »

Examined the reactions around you, this is key to finding out if u have bb, if people start making faces, smerks, gestures to one another, even whispers, getting away from you, avoiding you or also if you noticed people around you start to get uncomfortable with you, these are some ways that may help u find out if u have bb or if its all in your head... But above all. Relax
helpmoi
Total Newbie

Post by helpmoi »

Thanks for the responses. Would you guys please elaborate what you mean by heavy? I generally just assume I have bad breath, so I don't get close enough to elicit any response other than an initial nose rub. My anxiety just shuts me up when people get too close.

My main complaint would be the back half of my tongue. It feels rough and seems to absorb whatever I eat. The more I think about it, though, the more it seems like reflux is the root of the issue. The reflux damages the tongue causing this weird sensation and enlarged taste buds (enlarged taste buds trap more debris). The tastes and smell is the stomach content returning. Lastly I tend to eat right before I sleep, so I believe the reflux possibly enters my sinuses causing inflammation leading to nasal congestion. The congestion results in PND, which eventually causes tonsil stones. I don't really have tonsil stones anymore, but I remember when they were close to dislodging, I could taste and smell that putridness. Whenever tonsil stones were shaking loose, there was no doubt I had halitosis because I could smell and taste it whenever I swallowed the PND.

What are your thoughts? Have any of you been able to get rid of your reflux through lifestyle changes or medication? Did it help with the halitosis?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Sorry to always drift from the subject, but Sadmum, how long have you had BB and can you remember when your mouth didn't feel the way it does now?

I'm in regular contact with a person who describes that her mouth never feels fresh any more. She doesn't realise her breath smells of mothballs. This has now been going on for about 4 years or so. It's a mothball-ish odour which comes out sometimes even when she eats. I know she's having some dental problem (gum bleeding is the main issue I think). As soon as I find out more I'll mention it on here. I believe she's been to a periodontist, after trying numerous different things with her dentist who has given up and said it's probably just her genetics. Since seeing the periodontist, I haven't been able to smell any bad breath. I'll try to find out more. It's hard to discuss it with her because she's ultra-embarrassed and won't let me even look in her mouth.

She knows me well though, and knows I'm very interested in these things, and that's how we get talking about it. But it's hard not to seem weird by asking about her mouth all the time.
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

halitosisux wrote: Sadmum, how long have you had BB and can you remember when your mouth didn't feel the way it does now?
@Halitosisux……I had it since I was 10 I’m 35 now. The only time that my mouth felt so fresh, clean and bb free was when I was 16 and had my tonsils removed. That great feeling lasted 2 weeks only and obviously was the result of the antibiotics but once its effect wore off the bb returned. Lately I’ve been trying to recall how it all started and what other symptoms I had during the onset of my bb. It’s so hard to remember or recollect such details especially because they occurred at such a young age. But I’m going to post my prognosis/theory in a new thread soon as I think I might know what could be causing my BB and maybe other sufferers' too.

Cheers

sheilmolson
Total Newbie

Post by sheilmolson »

I would like to tell that the first and foremost thing that you will have to do is to brush your teeth twice a day. This is the best way to reduce your bad breath. I too follow this thing to avoid bad breath. I would also like to suggest that you also consult to your dentist to cure this problem.
www.bullshit.com

sadmum
Advanced

Re: What does Your Mouth Feel Like???

Post by sadmum »

sheilmolson wrote:I would like to tell that the first and foremost thing that you will have to do is to brush your teeth twice a day. This is the best way to reduce your bad breath. I too follow this thing to avoid bad breath. I would also like to suggest that you also consult to your dentist to cure this problem.
So you signed up on this forum and went through all the trouble just to give us this absolutely valuable information?!! How did we possibly miss this!! C'mon you guys brush your teeth twice daily and Viola!! you're all cured!!!

=D>

who farted?
Junior

Post by who farted? »

It’s so hard to remember or recollect such details especially because they occurred at such a young age. But I’m going to post my prognosis/theory in a new thread soon as I think I might know what could be causing my BB and maybe other sufferers' too.

sadman when will you be posting your theory iam interested in what you have to say regards wf
oneday4800
Advanced
Re: What does Your Mouth Feel Like???

Post by oneday4800 »

[quote="sheilmolson"]I would like to tell that the first and foremost thing that you will have to do is to brush your teeth twice a day. This is the best way to reduce your bad breath. I too follow this thing to avoid bad breath. I would also like to suggest that you also consult to your dentist to cure this problem.

You must think we're stupid and or lack common sense by telling us that BULLSH*T!We are past "brushing twice a day". And the dentist doesnt help either. IM Sorry but your ignorant comment pissed me off.
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

who farted? wrote: sadman when will you be posting your theory iam interested in what you have to say regards wf
Sorry for taking long "who farted?", I've been so busy...But I'm posting it now in a new thread, it's nothing genius or new, it's been mentioned endlessly before and I'm beginning to believe that it could be the reason behind my bb.

@ oneday4800....Ignore that idiot...It's ignorant people like that who deserve to suffer with bb and not us!!

AloneLoner
Total Newbie

Post by AloneLoner »

I never knew this site existed but I was doing a random search on stomach breath on Google and found it. The OP's story about reactions of others is a nightmare I live with daily. I, too have suffered BB for the last several years thinking it was just attributed to my lack of dental hygiene. I've had some really bad cavities and neglect throughout the years but I finally conquered my fear of the dentist and went to get it sorted it. Thing is, it's made me realize my problem is much deeper and reading these forums, it seems there is no end in sight.

As a fellow sufferer, is there anything I can tell my GP to have tests done or am I destined to suffer alone and be alone forever? I cannot approach people in situations of need much less the opposite sex to ask them out. I have tried a few times unbeknownst of my problem only to get the nose rub and rejection.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why doctors cannot diagnose this problem. Mind you I have not seek professional help yet. I have man phobias to be sure. I suspect I also have diabetes which I've read exhibits a fruity smell in the breath but I don't think my breath is fruity at all as evidence by family members who are about the only people who are brave enough to tell me of my problem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic