Your Email Address:

First Name:

Antimicrobial benefit of low-pH

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

Any update from those who decided to try this? I'm thinking of starting to brush with aspirin this week; please advise :D

girlie girl
Advanced

Post by girlie girl »

Searching,

I just wanted to share my experience with you. I am one of those that have tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING! This is the first time I can say that something is helping me. I am not "cured" because I still have bad breath, but I can say that I believe it is decreased significantly. This is what I am doing, so not sure what is exactly happening...

I take a baby aspirin and I let it dissolve in my mouth as I am getting ready in the morning. Then I take a wet tooth brush and just brush a little with it in my mouth. Next I brush with regular colgate toothpaste for a few minutes (I do use a tongue brush too). Then, sometimes, I add alkaline drops to my water (that I sip on in the morning) and chew on xylitol gum. The only thing that I am doing differently in my diet is that I am taking diatomaceous earth 1 tbsp. in grapefruit juice in the morning. I sometimes repeat brush in the afternoon if I feel I need it.

I hope this can help others...I hope it continues to work for me! Thanks Searching for sharing with us! :-)
searching
Master
Post by searching »

girlie girl wrote:I take a baby aspirin and I let it dissolve in my mouth as I am getting ready in the morning. Then I take a wet tooth brush and just brush a little with it in my mouth.
girlie girl,

Thank you for making the test and for providing the feedback.

A difference between your technique and mine is that I've been using an adult-dose aspirin; and, I thoroughly brush all surfaces of teeth, tongue, and gums. I can feel the astringency, assisted by brushing, dislodging the biofilm. Very satisfying.

I've been doing this once daily for about six weeks. It is still working very well for me. I'm staying with it as long as the positive effect persists. And if the effect persists, I've met my goal. I need no further improvement.

I visit my hygienist in about 2 weeks. I look forward to receiving a professional's judgment regarding my level of plaque accumulation, if any.

btw, I have my tonsils, and have in the past produced offensive tonsil stones. This has ceased. Perhaps an ecological change.
ttlxman

Post by ttlxman »

I'm still using this morning and night with success. The bad taste doesn't come back so quickly now. My mouth just feels easier in general to keep clean. I definitely still need my gum though.
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

I also tried this method a few weeks ago, I only tried it about 3 times but had to stop as I noticed an unusual side effect, for some reason my teeth, in particular the top and bottom back molars on the right side became extra sensitive, I had persistent pain around them even if I weren't eating! That sensitivity ceased immediately after I stopped this method! I'm not sure if there was any improvement to my bb though as I didn't use it for long.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms when using this method?

I use a brand called Disprin which contains 300 mg of Aspirin in each tablet. It doesn't say non-buffered though anywhere on the packaging so is there much difference there?

Thanks
searching
Master
Post by searching »

sadmum wrote:I also tried this method...had to stop as I noticed an unusual side effect…the top and bottom back molars…became extra sensitive, I had persistent pain around them even if I weren't eating! That sensitivity ceased immediately after I stopped this method! I'm not sure if there was any improvement to my bb though as I didn't use it for long.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms when using this method?

I use a brand called Disprin which contains 300 mg of Aspirin in each tablet. It doesn't say non-buffered though anywhere on the packaging so is there much difference there?
sadmum,

I'm sorry to hear this method caused sensitivity and provided no benefit.

I don't know what affect on tooth enamel, nor on tooth porosity, this method may have.

Dispirin appears to be aspirin according to the material safety data sheet.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

this still helps me a lot (reduces problem though does not eliminate it). thank you so much, searching! it has given me a new lease on life. i started experimenting with doing it at night too and it helps reduce the morning breath.

this is what i do at night:
-brush with toothpaste (i use a natural flouride-free toothpaste)
-floss
-if i have time, i will irrigate my gums using my hydrofloss machine (sometimes i use the jet tip and mix in about 30 drops of grapefruit seed extract)
-chew 1 aspirin and brush it in, as suggested by searching
-use the tung brush and scrape my tung with it (i have an easier time using this since the bristles are short and avoid too much gagging with the aspirin)
-i don't do a full 2 minutes cuz i start to gag, etc.. so maybe about a minute total with the aspirin
-rinse and gargle with water to dislodge any aspirin bits
-use tongue scraper and scrape my tongue as far back as possible.
-gargle with a rinse containing chlorhexidine, zinc, or chlorine dioxide

in the morning, i do the same thing as above but without the flossing or the hydrofloss. after the aspirin step, i might eat breakfast, then brush my teeth and scrape my tongue, and then gargle with the rinse after.

it seems to help for a few hours. i also brush with toothpaste, scrape and rinse after eating throughout the day. the other day i forgot my toothbrush and had to go without all day at work and by the time i got home, could really feel the plaque on my teeth. i know brushing doesn't help our problem go away, but there is no point allowing things to possibly be slightly worse if you don't continue to be diligent with brushing throughout the day, imho!
Last edited by ruch on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

my only concern is because it is acidic, it might start to weaken our teeth over time? what do you think?
searching
Master
Post by searching »

ruch wrote:my only concern is because it is acidic, it might start to weaken our teeth over time? what do you think?
I share your concern. It may indeed weaken teeth.

I'm beginning to explore the pH of common food and drink that may be low on the pH scale, to better understand the lower pH range that teeth may occasionally encounter when ingesting something acidic.

The graph seen here compares pH of several colas. I do not have details of how accurately the pH measurement was done. Nevertheless these colas have measured pH more acidic than aspirin, i.e. pH average of 2.9. Over my lifetime, thus far, cola has spent more time in my mouth, bathing my teeth, versus aspirin. It's important to emphasize that cola nor aspirin are beneficial to tooth enamel.
This link leads to a pH listing from the U.S. FDA, of common foods, see blueberries, cranberry juice, grapes, plums, raspberry jam, strawberries, apples, and chili sauce. Many are more acidic than aspirin.

The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) of acetylsalicylic acid, i.e. aspirin, seen here in Section 9, reports the pH as 3.5, when in an aqueous concentration of 2.5 grams/liter. The MSDS reports the solubility of aspirin as 3.3 grams/liter at 20 degrees C, so the abovementioned pH is at 76% saturation in water.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

dr. murat has this to say:
viewtopic.php?p=50595#50595

i have responded to dr. murat, asking him to comment on what you wrote as well, searching.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

ruch wrote:i have responded to dr. murat, asking him to comment on what you wrote as well, searching.
It will be prudent to discontinue the use of brushing with aspirin as it may weaken enamel.

It is, nevertheless, important to be fact-based. When it’s available, I try to provide data. My professors encouraged this as I earned my Ph.D.

The following list provides further background information.

1. It is the phosphoric acid in cola that provides the most-acidic chemical potential, not the carbonic – although carbonic is present as well. Coka Cola has a measured pH of 2.48, Pepsi Cola 2.46, i.e. more acidic than aspirin pH reported on its MSDS at tested concentration. The tabulated reference of these, and other popular soft drinks, appears in the journal General Dentistry, entitled Dissolution of Dental Enamel in Soft Drinks seen here. Phosphoric acid is listed on the can/bottle, as an ingredient. An MSDS for coke syrup, the concentrate, appears here reporting a pH of 1.

Questions: How many soft drink servings are consumed world-wide per day? Is it millions or billions? I understand that this does not mean it is wise, nor healthy.

2. From the year 1924 to 2006 a medication Aspergum™ was sold to orally-deliver aspirin, 227 mg/dose, in chewing-gum form, reference seen here. The rationale was to provide a release of aspirin to treat, for example, a sore throat by introducing it into saliva as it was slowly swallowed. Such products were discontinued as [some] young children were mistaking it for ordinary chewing gum, reference seen here. This was potentially fatal to those children pre-disposed with Reye’s syndrome, reference seen here. Aspergum™ was not intended to be used daily for a prolonged period. Nevertheless it exposed tooth enamel to aspirin during use.

Brushing with aspirin provided me with a useful insight to the root cause of my condition. My objective now is to determine how to safely employ the observation.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

i am wondering if it would be okay to use the aspirin in a different way. instead of brushing it into the teeth, what about grinding it up (outside of the mouth), then placing the powder on a toothbrush and brushing your tongue with it for a few short seconds, then rinsing? dr. murat said not to have it in your mouth for more than 10 seconds.

please keep us posted with what you find, searching. i always find your posts so helpful.. thanks :)
searching
Master
Post by searching »

This method has been remarkably effective; however, the potentially-high, demineralization rate may be a large risk.

I haven't seen a study of the long-term effects of salicylic acid on enamel. Until such a study is conducted and publicized, it's best to avoid components with low pH.

A method is needed to strip the offensive biofilm from oral surfaces without crazing or dissolving teeth, i.e., calcium phosphate.

For me, this test seems to have confirmed the BB source is oral, meaning that components have been undergoing a conversion in my mouth, i.e. putrefying on oral surfaces, rather than the cause being systemic or digestive.
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

Its oral for certain types. I think its digestive for people with fecal smell
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

for me, it is a combo of both oral and digestive and/or systemic, i think. i notice my bb fluctuates at different times. sometimes it seems to just be oral and that is when a combination of brushing, flossing, scraping, using medicated rinses, irrigating, and something else like bismuth or aspirin work to really reduce the bb.. and gum helps a bit while i am chewing it for the first while. other times, when it is worse, it seems more than just oral because none of the above helps. right now, i have been dealing with what i believe to be a reflux issue. i am pretty sure the issue is connected in some way to my digestive system as my bb often smells/tastes either fermented or kind of like vomit. right now it tastes kind of sour too (after eating and not brushing). it's really depressing.. :/
i have a date this weekend too, but i almost want to just run away instead.

going to try to see a naturopath and ENT soon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic