Your Email Address:

First Name:

posterior faucial pillar/pnd

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
pagmic2
Advanced

posterior faucial pillar/pnd

Post by pagmic2 »

When you use the neti pot or other sinus rinser, tip your head completely sideways and it will drain down the sides of your throat and out your mouth, cleaning the area between the posterior faucial pillar and the side of the back of the throat. Also, I think the reason bacteria thrive there overnight and create morning breath is because when you're sleeping your head is completely on its side, so the post nasal drip runs along the side of the throat. So it's important to keep a clean sleeping environment so that post nasal drip doesn't form while you sleep. In Christ, Mike

Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

I have done a cursory examination of my posterior faucial pillars. These things are too far back to reach with my fingers so I don't know if there is any mucus in there, but what I have noticed so far is that there are white areas on the pillars, especially on the right side. The rest of the tissue in my mouth looks pink. Could this be some kind of low-grade infection or an accumulation of bacteria? Further investigation is needed.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hey Phantasist, I think it was Dr. Aydinmur who recently mentioned this, that there are certain instances where keratin can start to form on the tongue (and I presume other mucous membranous tissues) when there's irritation.

This is probably some kind of defense mechanism. It's probably why a lot of people also end up with impossible to remove tongue coatings, after setting up a vicious circle of scraping too hard.

Something might be irritating your throat there. Could be acid or acid vapours. Could be anything. That's what that white layer might be anyway. Could be worth asking Dr. Aydinmur in his thread what he thinks.
pagmic2
Advanced

white coatings near faucial pillars

Post by pagmic2 »

try gargling with head sideways until you feel the mouthwash hitting the area with the white coatings.
pagmic2
Advanced

p.s.

Post by pagmic2 »

and sinus rinse with head tipped sideways till you feel the salt water and baking soda water coming out of your nasal cavity and running down the side of your throat near the posterior faucial pillar to clean that area...that's where the post nasal drip runs when you sleep, because your head is sideways while sleeping.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

@Halitosisux,

I attached a cotton swab to a shopstick and poked at the white areas on my posterior faucial pillars. I did not see any mucus coming out.
The white areas are not a layer such as on the tongue. The tissue itself appears to have white blotches.
So far I see no connection between the posterior faucial pillars and breath odor.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Could be some kind of fibrous muscle tissue or something like that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic