Your Email Address:

First Name:

Long term sufferer but I KNOW the cause (I think)

Tell us your story with bad breath
MissUnderstood
Total Newbie

Long term sufferer but I KNOW the cause (I think)

Post by MissUnderstood »

This is really long winded but worth a read as I think it may help a lot of people.

So, it's been almost 11 years now since I first started feeling conscious about my breath. I am 21 and female and for as long as I can remember I have had problems breathing smoothly out of my nose and I have had a dry mouth with a 'stuffy' kind of taste. Even when I have had lots of water or not eaten I still feel like my mouth smells 'warm' if that makes sense?

Well anyway cut a long story short I have been to my GP many times over the years first about my breath, and after several attempts and being told numerous times it's in my head, I finally got prescribed acid reflux tablets... which seemed to work for a day or 2. And by work, I could physically feel and taste that my mouth didn't feel dry and I could feel there wasn't a smell coming out of my mouth from my stomach. I have always been 100% sure the smell is from my stomach or throat rather than my actually mouth as I have extremely good oral hygiene, due to brushing my teeth so much. However the acid reflux tablets had no effect after eating, as I could feel the smell returning instantly after food. The smell that not even brushing or gum can get rid of. I also had found that certain food make the smell worse, such as chocolate, fizzy drinks, and coffee.

Next I have been having a painful lump in my stomach, a lump which sometimes physically protrudes. Again after much research and nagging my gp it is looking possible that it is a hernia. After much research on the internet, I found that hernias can cause acid reflux, and acid reflux is a big cause of halitosis. I also found that foods such a peppermint, garlic and herbs, chocolate and caffeine make acid reflux worse, which would in someone with halitosis would make their breath worse i'm assuming. So anyway it feels like it all makes sense now. But as for the next stage I don't know.

I am pretty sure the GP is convinced I am a hypochondriac as I always seem to turn up asking about a new problem I have, but I am 100% sure that all the problems I have been having are now linked, Ie sinus problems, the lump in my stomach, the bad taste in my mouth, and the acid reflux. Also the inability to chew gum or eat chocolate without making me smell like I have farted out of my mouth.

Where I go from here i'm not sure. But at least I feel a little more sane.