Your Email Address:

First Name:

In the news. Doctors Develop World's Longest Lasting Mint

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

yes it does, its pretty much a mint that never ends.
It masks the smell but the mintyness is very annoying... I wish I could have neutral/normal smell instead of mint 24/7

I emailed the company the other day about getting a non-mint solution. They said next year they will try to create other "flavours"

Mac
Junior

Post by Mac »

halitosisux wrote:. Every odour problem has a solution, whether it's a fridge or a foot or a pet's arsehole,
This is one of the funniest things I've read in ages. There is humour in our suffering. You've made my week :D
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Lol Mac, I'm glad you understood where I was coming from by saying it in that way.
hopelessone
God
United States of America

Post by hopelessone »

seanlee1980 wrote:The guy is just advertising the product. Lets go find him at the Houston headquarters and breathe on him to death.
ROFLOLOLOL!!!!
hopelessone
God
United States of America

Post by hopelessone »

halitosisux wrote:@FedUp, I remember reading once that one way to know if you have a gum problem is if you can suddenly smell something bad when chewing on toffee.

@StillHoping, God knows. I think people like Katz don't wish to shoot themselves in the foot by creating the perfect solution to this problem, so they are scrambling to discover and patent specific bacteria, like the type in Blis-K12, which they know will not be able to colonize the mouth, but probably do help some people a bit for a while after they take them until the bacteria are naturally wiped out again. Crap that they can patent and charge whatever extortionate price they like, knowing that stupid people with harmless coffee-breath will hail as a cure for bad breath, and then assume that everyone with true chronic bad breath is just a dirty animal. Then other companies are happy knowing that everyone thinks Katz and co are the breath GODS and don't bother to innovate, and happy to sell even worse crap we find taking up entire rows in supermarkets.
do you think Katz and the minions like him WANT to genuinely find a solution?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Only if Katz himself has bad breath.

The fresh breath industry would never set out to intentionally shoot itself in the foot. I think the eventual perfect cure will be something that is stumbled upon indirectly through scientific progress in fields such as genetic modification or nano-technologies like those being develped against cancers, viruses etc.

In the meantime, we might find Katz & co isolate some specific beneficial bacteria that manages to have some effect.

Another hope would be a hobbyist or someone who isn't financially motivated, someone like Dr. Aydinmur, creating an ingenious new idea which everyone can easily replicate for themselves. Personally, I would be happy wearing a jet-pack sized device on my back to get rid of bad breath if I needed it and knew it actually worked.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

What's the latest with these mints? Great substitute for chewing gum and having to look like a camel gnawing away all day long. Are they feasible to have continuously in the mouth 24/7? Can we have more feedback please?

If they are feasible then we should contact the manufacturers and perhaps get them to advertise on here and offer free samples, discounts etc.

I think this is one of the best concepts I've seen so far, esp the way they stick in the mouth and can remain hidden etc, and there's great potential for furture development.

There used to be these strip things you could buy, they looked like little squares of plastic and they stuck to the roof of the mouth. They only lasted about 5 minutes though, and the flavour was so strong it would burn. But the concept was good - if only they could have lasted longer.
sadmum
Advanced

Post by sadmum »

halitosisux wrote:What's the latest with these mints? Great substitute for chewing gum and having to look like a camel gnawing away all day long. Are they feasible to have continuously in the mouth 24/7? Can we have more feedback please?

If they are feasible then we should contact the manufacturers and perhaps get them to advertise on here and offer free samples, discounts etc.

I think this is one of the best concepts I've seen so far, esp the way they stick in the mouth and can remain hidden etc, and there's great potential for furture development.
I ordered mine 2 weeks ago but still haven't received it yet, which is unusual! Will definitely post feedback on it once I've tried it.
halitosisux wrote:There used to be these strip things you could buy, they looked like little squares of plastic and they stuck to the roof of the mouth. They only lasted about 5 minutes though, and the flavour was so strong it would burn. But the concept was good - if only they could have lasted longer.
I've tried those but hated them, the flavours I had were cinnamon and spearmint and they tasted so bad! I never felt any improvement on the odour when I used them, maybe because I still had my infected wt at the time! I remember how chewing gums or sucking on mints would exasperate my bb, but after the extraction I no longer experience this! Although it didn't eliminate my bb, I'm still happy that I removed it as it helped improve my bb a little bit! which is better than nothing!

Mac
Junior

Post by Mac »

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with these. I found they only lasted just over an hour with me and I didn't really get any piece of mind that they were masking the smell. I don't think they'll be replacing chewing gum for me, annoying as it is.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Sadmum, I hope you get them soon and they help you.

Yes, those square plasticky things were painfully strong spearmint flavour made my a well-known chewing gum brand. They only lasted a few minutes, and were another fantastic concept, but probably intentionally flawed so that they couldn't ruin chewing gum sales.

Let's hope this company making Forevermints are serious about what they're doing and willing to further develop this method of dealing with bad breath. It's not a cure, but what I really like about it is that for the first time there's actually a product which doesn't rely on it's lasting or lingering ability to help with bad breath, but works continuously in a subtle and discreet way.

I would like to see them make something similar which can slowly release zinc or silver or hydrogen peroxide or enzymes or bacteria like the BLIS-K12.

I'm glad your WT extraction helped!

Mac, how bad is your BB and where do you suspect it's mainly coming from? This is only really likely to help those with Type-1 and possibly Type-2 BB.
Mac
Junior

Post by Mac »

@halitosisux, I believe my bad breath is from tonsils and tonsil stones. It can get pretty bad if I don't clean out my tonsils with hydrogen peroxide. Not room filling as far as I'm aware but enough to make someone recoil if they get quite close. i just got the sense that the mints weren't 'filling' my mouth like chewing gum.. This could just be my perception and I could be way off. Like you say it's a great concept ad obviously still in its infancy so we could see more developments.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thanks for your info Mac.
I know what you mean about the need to be "filling" your mouth with mint, especially when you feel your breath is really bad.

I always only ever had Type-1 BB with very bad tongue odour, involving tonsils/stones, wisdom teeth and PND. I still have PND, but with the help of chlorhexidine irrigation and zinc lactate, I'm able to completely eliminate my tongue odour.

I'm told my breath doesn't smell bad now, unlike before, but it's still very hard for me sometimes to breathe into someone's face too closely. I call it my "naked" breath, because it's like the same feeling of exposure I feel of going naked in front of others. And even if I only have the slightest taste of something else in my mouth, like mint or something to drink or eat, it's like being thrown something to cover myself up with. I am a real mess psychologically. I might consider going for some therapy because I'm sure this is all to do with severe lack of self-esteem. So when I'm feeling this anxiety, these mints would definitely make me feel better at the prospect of ever having to be trapped for a long period of time amongst others.

Whatever my breath actually smells of very close up, I still have a form of "halitophobia" of the fear of anyone being able to smell what my breath smells of, even if I know it's not a foul odour, but just for the fact it's my breath. Hope that makes sense.
liza22

Post by liza22 »

Do you mind sharing how you control your BB with chlorhexidine and zinc lactate? My understanding is you're not supposed to use it long-term. Where do you get the zinc? I totally relate to the halitophobia. On the few occasions I've been able to control it, I can't ever bring myself to talk closely with anyone. There has to be space. Congratulations on being able to control it though.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thankyou liza.
I'll briefly mention what I do and why, but if you would like to know more then please ask.

I start off my routine by gently brushing toothpaste containing zinc lactate all over my tongue. Any type of zinc will probably be just as effective, but I have personally found zinc lactate to be the most effective. It also doesn't have to be a toothpaste, most mouthwashes today contain zinc chloride. I've yet to come across anything else containing zinc lactate though - if you find anything, please let me know! I then use Colgate total to brush my teeth normally.

After waiting 30 mins, I then fill the container of my Waterpik oral irrigator with 100ml of alcohol-free Corsodyl (Chlorhexidine digluconate) and use the Waterpik in the normal fashion to irrigate my gums. 100ml is what I'm able to comfortably fill my mouth with without allowing any of it to escape. That's enough to do one row of teeth. I then spit the entire 100ml back into the container and start again on the remaining rows of teeth. I then filter the solution and store it in a separate bottle to be used 2 or 3 times before discarding it. I know it's a bit gross to resuse it, but it's quite expensive - and it seems to do the job as well as fresh Corsodyl would do.

In the process of blasting my gums with this procedure, the rest of my mouth also gets unavoidably blasted, including my tongue, cheeks, roof of mouth etc.

I have a very long BB history, including tonsillectomy and a recent history of wisdom tooth extractions. The extraction of one of these wisdom teeth gave me a near 100% BB improvement (so I have been told) and a vastly improved taste and reduction of tongue odour. I still have one horizontally impacted wisdom tooth, which I will eventually have removed in hospital. Using this irrigation method, I also have eliminated any trace of odour buildup between my teeth. I would previously ALWAYS find that certain teeth would smell when I flossed them - but not any more. And this applies even if I don't use the irrigation for days. So in other words, it can't just be because I've temporarily flushed away the bacteria. Something deeper must have occurred for this to happen.

I don't know for certain why the chlorhexidine has able to achieve this when plain water couldn't, but I think that in my own case at least, it's been all about elminating ALL the abnormal bacterial hiding places and "reservoirs" where they abnormally manage to fester. Bacteria have been around for a LOT longer than we have, and we evolved FROM them and we even have some of their DNA in our DNA. So they have the edge on us and have the ability to communicate with each other in the same ways as our own body communicates with itself to function. That's probably why they seem to have a mind of their own when we're trying to fight them.

Microorganisms are always there waiting to devour us. When we give them any excuse to start early, they will try to.

Btw, yes Chlorhexidine is not supposed to be used long-term. But as far as I know that's only because it will cause temporary tooth staining. There are ways to minimize this and you have to see for yourself what works best. It may also cause damage to a water irrigator. So far the only detrimental effect has been slight brown tooth staining which I've found ways to easily remove, but if not then a dentist scale and polish will easily remove it.
liza22

Post by liza22 »

Halitosisux, thanks so much for sharing all that! I have a very similar background and hoping your regimen will help me too. I really think my tongue is the issue. I have a rough tongue with a long crevice (not true geographical tongue) and told slightly long papilla and wondering about surgical clipping of papillae. Had tonsillectomy, nasal surgery (made it worse). wisdom teeth removed, but that didn't help me. I also have certain teeth that smell bad after flossing. Sounds like the chlorhexidine is getting to the deeper bacteria. I've never had any cavities but now have mild periodontal disease.

You're right--all the products have zinc gluconate not lactate. I didn't know chlorhexidine came alcohol free! Thank you so much!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic