Your Email Address:

First Name:

what is working for me

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
pedroaz
Total Newbie

what is working for me

Post by pedroaz »

It's been almost a year(january sometime) since I have found consistent relief from my bad breath, really bad breath. I've had tonsil stones for years and periodontal disease in the last 5-7 years and my breath was getting worse and worse. It was horrible. I would brush my teeth 3-5 times a day just to keep the awful rotten feeling in my mouth at bay. My bb seemed to be coming from my tonsils. I would take antibiotics w/out an rx for months sometimes and while they bworked somewhat my bb would come back and they would stop working. It was sooo embarassing.

About 2 yrs ago i started using metronidazole mouthwash on a daily basis that i mix myself. I also was going to the dentist for cleanings every 6 months to fight periodontal issues. That worked pretty well for a while. But while it kept working its effect diminished and when i would get tonsil flareups it would come back. My tonsils seem to be where my bb lives and causes problems. Usually during a flareup i would get an outbreak of tonsil stones which i would squeeze out. But the bb would still come back. Also for me the fall and early winter seems to be when my bb would get really bad.

Even though things were better they weren't amazing so even though i was using the metronidazole home brew, flossing daily, brushing daily and going to dentist regularly for cleanings and to get cavities filled I still wasn't happy. So I decided to try using an oral probiotic. That combined with everything else literally got rid of my bad breath. I'm not cured, I have to keep doing it everyday, but it works. I have 0 bad breath. I came on here and posted a while back but people accused me of spamming, so i didnt post anymore. But I said screw it because I want other people to get relief like I have so I am sharing this again. Since I added the probiotic I get wayyyyy less tonsil stones(very seldomly) but more importantly when I do they hardly have any smell at all, plus I only generally brush my teeth twice a day and my mouth actually feels clean. My gums are much better and don't bleed. My fiancee actually kisses me and doesnt turn me away from facing her in bed.. so everyday twice a day I floss, rinse my tonsil crypts with metronidazole, brush my teeth with an oral b electric and get the gumline, and then rinse my tonsil crypts with chewed up probiotic using a pipette. Everyday twice a day, no exceptions. Yeah it takes time but is totally worth it. Its not a cure though. If i let up it will come back. But i have it beaten into remission. The spraying the probiotic into my tonsils is based on a suggestion I got on here and my mouth feels tingly clean most of the time. It used to feel rancid all the time.

Note* i cannot vouche for the safety of metronidazole or probiotics for that matter, but bc it works i do it. Maybe theyre totally safe maybe not. But I have had 'normal' person breath for almost a year so frankly i dont care.

Again i realize some people will accuse me of spamming. I found a regimen that works and I hope that it will work for some people here. Thats the only reason i am sharing. Mine seems to be caused by feedback between my gums and tonsils, so as my periodontal disease got worse my bb became even worse.

FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

It's nice this is working for you but wouldn't you consider a tonsillectomy then you wouldn't have to go through this every day? Providing the tonsils are your cause of BB.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
pedroaz
Total Newbie

Post by pedroaz »

Yeah, you're right. I did, I even asked my Dr. He refused to recommend and said my insurance probably wouldn't cover it. But yeah that would be the best possible scenario. I also thought maybe I read someone here talking about a tonsillectomy and it still not working. But yeah the current regimen takes up about 30-40 minutes total everyday. It is a PITA, but it does seem to be working.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Pedroaz, have you tried doing everything you've described, but without doing anything to your tonsils (except for perhaps syringing them with saltwater?

If the improvement stops, then this would be interesting because it might mean that you are creating a kind of sub-colony of these probiotic bacteria inside your tonsil crypts, which is then able to help by constantly supplying these beneficial bacteria to the rest of your mouth.

Would be worth experimenting in this kind of way to try to figure out exactly how this is helping you.
liza22

Post by liza22 »

Can I ask what kind of probiotics you use?
Ihatemybreath
Master

Interesting fact about mouthwash

Post by Ihatemybreath »

When I do not use mouthwash I always fall in the lick test and believe, the smell is not good. Even if I brush my tongue and scrape etc... but when I use mouthwash I can do the lick test any time a day that I do not fall in the lick test, have no odor............. should I think mouthwash help me? How much should I considerate the lick test result? I'm confused.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

According to Dr. Aydinmur, the lick test (or rubbing a finger on the back of the tongue) only tells us we have certain smelly chemicals there. These chemicals may smell on the end of the finger (or on your wrist in the case of a lick test), but that doesn't mean those odours will be detectable on our breath to anyone smelling it.
All chemicals have a particular volatility (a measure of the tendency of a substance to vaporize). Something which we may think stinks really bad on the end of our finger could have low volatility, and odours which we would not consider bad or strong-smelling, may have high volatility and give us bad breath if they were present in our mouth. And volatility isn't likely to be the only factor in whether a chemical that sits on our tongue can be carried in our breath and picked up by someone standing near us. Some odours linger, some don't. I don't know what gives a gas these unique individual characteristics, but I guess it's their molecular structure and how they chemically interact with the molecules of other gases.

This confusion may lie at the very heart of every case of halitophobia. I'm not saying you or anyone is suffering from halitophobia, but for sure there must be people around who wrongly believe they have bad breath because of a bad taste or a bad wrist-licking experience. We have to understand that it depends on WHAT the bad smelling chemicals ARE as to whether they can cause bad breath - and not whether we determine them to be a bad smell when sat on the end of our finger or sitting on our tongue creating a weird taste in our mouth.

How else can it be that some people are convinced they have BB, while most people who actually DO have BB remain oblivious to the fact? It's proof that nothing about what we may think we know our own breath (good or bad) can be relied on!
angst-ridden
Advanced

Post by angst-ridden »

How do you make your metronidazole mouthwash? And what brand of probiotics do you use? How many tablets do you take per day? I tried ingesting Metronidazole before, but after 5 days I felt side effects like tingling sensations, so I didn't continue taking it.
Jasmine
Total Newbie

Post by Jasmine »

To fellow sufferers, please hung in there. There is HOPE, and i can't thank you enough Jimi for this website. Look guys, i strongly believe that cure for chronic bb will come from our own research. Most doctors are clueless as to the cause, thats why they can't come up with treatment.

Anyone who have oral and nasal bb with the following symptoms:

Nasal allergies
post-nasal drips
tonsil stones
Acid reflux

Please try this remedy in order, first thing in the morning everyday for at least a week. Remember it is first thing in the morning before breakfast. Worked magic for me, after many years of suffering.

1) No tongue scrubbing with brush. It actually seemed to make things worse, at least from my experience.

2) Instead, wash your hands, dissolve a small amount of baking soda in warm water, in some small container. Using two fingers, dip either a clean cotton make-up remover pad or even a sterile gauze pad in the solution and wipe your tongue back to front in few gentle strokes. Rinse the cotton pad with tap water and repeat the procedure once more. This should effectively remove the tongue coating. Rinse you mouth with normal water, it should feel fresh already. Don't brush you teeth yet.

3) In a cup of hot water, add half teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar(used Filsinger's brand) and one teaspoon of pure honey. Stir with spoon and start sipping slowly, while still hot. Wait for at least an hour before having breakfast. Then brush your teeth as normal.

Note: At night you just brush you teeth. No tongue scrubbing.

Most of you may be skeptical about natural remedies, just like i was before and this may not work for everybody, but it is worth trying.
Ruinedlife3
Total Newbie

Post by Ruinedlife3 »

halitosisux wrote:According to Dr. Aydinmur, the lick test (or rubbing a finger on the back of the tongue) only tells us we have certain smelly chemicals there. These chemicals may smell on the end of the finger (or on your wrist in the case of a lick test), but that doesn't mean those odours will be detectable on our breath to anyone smelling it.
All chemicals have a particular volatility (a measure of the tendency of a substance to vaporize). Something which we may think stinks really bad on the end of our finger could have low volatility, and odours which we would not consider bad or strong-smelling, may have high volatility and give us bad breath if they were present in our mouth. And volatility isn't likely to be the only factor in whether a chemical that sits on our tongue can be carried in our breath and picked up by someone standing near us. Some odours linger, some don't. I don't know what gives a gas these unique individual characteristics, but I guess it's their molecular structure and how they chemically interact with the molecules of other gases.

This confusion may lie at the very heart of every case of halitophobia. I'm not saying you or anyone is suffering from halitophobia, but for sure there must be people around who wrongly believe they have bad breath because of a bad taste or a bad wrist-licking experience. We have to understand that it depends on WHAT the bad smelling chemicals ARE as to whether they can cause bad breath - and not whether we determine them to be a bad smell when sat on the end of our finger or sitting on our tongue creating a weird taste in our mouth.

How else can it be that some people are convinced they have BB, while most people who actually DO have BB remain oblivious to the fact? It's proof that nothing about what we may think we know our own breath (good or bad) can be relied on!
Yeah, this seems to make sense. I had a friend with terrible smelling saliva (don't ask), but her breath was ALWAYS fresh. I have a cousin who doesn't brush his teeth until damn near midday, provided we don't have to go anywhere, and his breath never smells. I don't get it.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Its true, when i have a bad taste or bad smelling salliva, I dont get any reaction from anyone its like they dont smell my bad breath but i can taste it, but when I have no taste that's when i get a reaction from people. sucks!
josef143
Total Newbie

Post by josef143 »

angst-ridden wrote:How do you make your metronidazole mouthwash? And what brand of probiotics do you use? How many tablets do you take per day? I tried ingesting Metronidazole before, but after 5 days I felt side effects like tingling sensations, so I didn't continue taking it.
You just asked what i wanted to ask him/her .
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

Jasmine wrote:To fellow sufferers, please hung in there. There is HOPE, and i can't thank you enough Jimi for this website. Look guys, i strongly believe that cure for chronic bb will come from our own research. Most doctors are clueless as to the cause, thats why they can't come up with treatment.

Anyone who have oral and nasal bb with the following symptoms:

Nasal allergies
post-nasal drips
tonsil stones
Acid reflux

Please try this remedy in order, first thing in the morning everyday for at least a week. Remember it is first thing in the morning before breakfast. Worked magic for me, after many years of suffering.

1) No tongue scrubbing with brush. It actually seemed to make things worse, at least from my experience.

2) Instead, wash your hands, dissolve a small amount of baking soda in warm water, in some small container. Using two fingers, dip either a clean cotton make-up remover pad or even a sterile gauze pad in the solution and wipe your tongue back to front in few gentle strokes. Rinse the cotton pad with tap water and repeat the procedure once more. This should effectively remove the tongue coating. Rinse you mouth with normal water, it should feel fresh already. Don't brush you teeth yet.

3) In a cup of hot water, add half teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar(used Filsinger's brand) and one teaspoon of pure honey. Stir with spoon and start sipping slowly, while still hot. Wait for at least an hour before having breakfast. Then brush your teeth as normal.

Note: At night you just brush you teeth. No tongue scrubbing.

Most of you may be skeptical about natural remedies, just like i was before and this may not work for everybody, but it is worth trying.
Thanks for sharing Jasmine.

I know of a girl who uses Apple Cider Vinegar daily against bad breath and it works for her. I will try this out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic