Your Email Address:

First Name:

How do your test your breath?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
sandspiegel
Junior

How do your test your breath?

Post by sandspiegel »

Hey guys,

I was reading the "My bad breath its a BLESS" Thread and halitosisux mentioned the idea to open up a thread to let people share their methods of how you test your own breath and since no one has opened up one so far, here it is :)

I found that most of the time my BB comes from the Tongue, especially the back part of it. If there is stank at the back of my tongue then I also have bb. This test would be pretty consistent with the reactions I would get. It is also consistent with my mouth feel. If the back of my tongue stinks I would feel that there is something quite not right in my mouth. Since I use Tongue Brush and Gel, the stank disappears for about 8 - 12 hours (depends on what I eat).

So how do I test my own Breath?

Everytime I go out and hang out with my friends or my girlfriend I would go to the bathroom after a while and then wash my hands (without soap) and then take a sample of my saliva at the very back of the tongue where most of the stank is. Then I wait a little and then smell it. If it doesn't smell I usually don't have bb.
How do I know it? Well I asked a couple of people if I had bb after doing this test and it was pretty consistent with how bad the stank was at the back of the Tongue.

No stank at the back of the tongue = "You have no bb"

A little of stank = "It's not like you brushed your teeth just now but it's still not unpleasant".

This is what the couple of people would say, so this self-test kind of works for me so far without having to ask them all the time, which takes a little overcoming myself everytime I ask.

Disgusting Stank = Well I don't need to ask, since I can smell my own breath at this stage and it's disgusting and is my normal case scenario if I don't use Tung Brush + Gel.

Yesterday I was out with my girlfriend all day (she usually has no bb at all) and in the evening we made dinner together. She didn't brush her teeth all day (except in the morning of course) and then after dinner we watched a movie together and I noticed that she would have bb a little, which I kind of liked (I don't even know why :D ), maybe because it made me aware, that it's not that bad to have a little bb, which is always such a big deal to me. When we Kissed at the end to say good bye to each other I had a little bit of saliva of her on my mouth and it would smell like the stank I had at the back of my tongue when the stank would return a little (usually after 8 hours or so after using Tongue Brush and Gel). It didn't bother me at all and made me realize even more that I shouldn't make such a big deal out of this.

I know that there are many people here with different origins of bb. How do you guys test your own breath? Would be really interesting to know and maybe we can learn from each other.
Last edited by sandspiegel on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ihatemybreath
Master

Post by Ihatemybreath »

I just blow the air really fast and repeatedly with my mouth ''curver'' to my nostrils, it's hard to explain...........its not just a normal blow, you have to move your inferior dental arcade forth... like youre saying ''uuuuuuh'' and fully open your mouth, if you blow normally wont work... and then while I blow, I try to sniff the air, blow and sniff at the same time. Its sound so weird, but thats what I do and I can feel it sometimes, then I assume its bad. Other always I do is just blow in my nostrils.... like girls do when they are nervous and ''blow the hair''????? can you understand......? This way I dont blow repeatdly I just blow, my nose is blocked at this time, cause you cant sniff while you blow (just when you do fast and repeatdly like I said) BUT I somehow I can feel this air in my nostrils, when its sour, I assume I have bb at the time. Thats how I do, but I can never be 100 per cent sure. Oh and I do the lick test too but always fall on it. FORGOT TO MENTION. The other test I do is stretch the tongue as far as I can and let the air go, so I can sniff the BB at the back of my throat
sandspiegel
Junior

Post by sandspiegel »

Ihatemybreath wrote:I just blow the air really fast and repeatedly with my mouth ''curver'' to my nostrils, it's hard to explain...........its not just a normal blow, you have to move your inferior dental arcade forth... like youre saying ''uuuuuuh'' and fully open your mouth, if you blow normally wont work... and then while I blow, I try to sniff the air, blow and sniff at the same time. Its sound so weird, but thats what I do and I can feel it sometimes, then I assume its bad. Other always I do is just blow in my nostrils.... like girls do when they are nervous and ''blow the hair''????? can you understand......? This way I dont blow repeatdly I just blow, my nose is blocked at this time, cause you cant sniff while you blow (just when you do fast and repeatdly like I said) BUT I somehow I can feel this air in my nostrils, when its sour, I assume I have bb at the time. Thats how I do, but I can never be 100 per cent sure. Oh and I do the lick test too but always fall on it. FORGOT TO MENTION. The other test I do is stretch the tongue as far as I can and let the air go, so I can feel the BB at the back of my throat
Yeah I know what you mean and I also do it all the time. However I had it more than a couple of times where I would do this and thought, well I don't think I have bb right now and then would do the lick test I mentioned in the first post and the saliva would stink. So I found that for me it's not a very reliable test, that's why I didn't mentioned it in the first post. But yeah I do it also all the time when there are no people around.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Sandspiegel, it's good that you have managed to get your tongue odour under control. Do you have PND and do you think your odour level is connected to your PND levels?

Remember that, according to Dr. Aydinmur, every person's saliva has some of this type of odour to it. We all have something he has referred to as "background odour", which only becomes "bad breath" when it goes above a certain threshold. So to assume we have bad breath just because we can smell "something", is wrong, because this odour we're able to detect for ourselves may be below the threshold that allows our breath to smell bad to others. Many people will falsely assume they have bad breath just because they can smell "something". I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I have lots of different ways of testing my own breath. I've had it all verified over the years by the feedback I've had.

Firstly, I can smell my morning breath by breathing into a pillow and even seconds later just breathing in. I can't smell this odour during the day when I know my breath is good, only when I first wake up.

Another confirmed method is breathing into the corner of a room. Breathe out slowly, and then at the right moment when the air has rebounded back into your face, breathe in sharply through the nose. This takes some practice and you need to be in a neutral smelling room.

Another good test is to cup your hand over your nose, and hold out your tongue so that the hand rests over the held-out tongue. Breathe in through your nose and with a bit of practice it's like being able to directly smell your own tongue. I found this method correlated directly to my breath status.
jamesmcavoy

Re: How do your test your breath?

Post by jamesmcavoy »

Well for all of the above people ,the way they mentioned their bb ,

I surely say that pharmolzn will work for u to have the most neutral breath all the time .
Prepare a solution of glycerine , boric acid and little zinc chloride and gargle for a minute
And Enjoy fresh breath life
jamesmcavoy

Post by jamesmcavoy »

Sandpiegel

When u say the gel u use for tongue brushing ,
What kind of gel is that
Explain in short the content or name etc.

I am from india so here its almost impossible to get such thing
sandspiegel
Junior

Post by sandspiegel »

jamesmcavoy wrote:Sandpiegel

When u say the gel u use for tongue brushing ,
What kind of gel is that
Explain in short the content or name etc.

I am from india so here its almost impossible to get such thing
I use the Tung Gel with the Tung Brush, which is the best "solution" for now to my problem. For now it gives me my life Back (even allowing me to have a girlfriend).

Those are the Ingredients:

Sorbitol, Water, Glycerin, Hydrated Silica, PEG-12, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Xylitol, Zinc Chloride, Flavor, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Saccharin, Sodium Benzoate, Methylparaben, Blue 1

I think that Zinc Chloride is doing most of the Job here.

You can read about it on the official webpage:

http://www.tungbrush.com/why/science-behind-tung/

And here is a video explaining what it does and how it does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDBwV8c9nQ4
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

I check by swallowing motion with my throat muscles, with my mouth and nose buried in the hood of a clean sweatshirt in an environment other than my own home (it doesn't work at home for some reason)

The best way to check your breath is to speak with someone else around, when they speak back, some chemical thing happens and you can smell your true breath odor when it's blown back to you. More interesting is that it depends on the individual as to how much odor you get back, i think we all have bacterial combinations, some interact more than others. I have a feeling that people who breathe back to me and expose my own odor, those people are probably also susceptible to having BB, or probably have light occasional BB. I have noticed that those people tend to be less affected by my odor (they get closer), often I'm not sure if it's them or me (however I'm not in denial, I know its me) Its similar to the handful of folks who seem to be irritated physically (sudden itchy throat) by not just the odor but the air emanated from me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic