Your Email Address:

First Name:

Possible cure? Please read :)

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
MomSoph
Total Newbie

Possible cure? Please read :)

Post by MomSoph »

35 year old female. I've been dealing with this for years and years. Quick run down of what I have done..tonsils out, SIBO test and it was positive but has since cleared up. 2 more SIBO like tests and negative. Gastric emptying and barium test negative because I thought it was coming from my stomach. My tongue always smells when I run my finger over it and smell it. One dr said it was all in my head. Dentist said my gums and teeth are fine. No bleeding and I get a cleaning 2 a year for the past 5 years. I could never smell it and I'm going by reactions and i've had students (I work in education) literally cover their noise with their hands/scarf. They are giggling, etc and I was a ways away from them and this is all going on :( I wasn't going to give up and I called microbiology labs in my area to ask if they could test certain bacteria and they said no and I was googling saliva tests and I came across the BANA test so I called the company that makes this test and they told me someone an hour away that is a dentist has a similar test so I called them. The BANA test is supposed to test bad bacteria that could call halitosis. I go to the dentist and they do a periodontal exam and my dentist has never done this test before (even though I told him I suffer from this problem) and it turns out I have some 4's and 5's and you should have 1, 2 and 3s. This basically means that I have large pockets that capture bacteria, etc and this could be where the halitosis is coming from. She did the saliva test and while it wasn't the BANA test, it did test for a bunch of stuff and it basically came back saying that I had the periodontal disease! Fine by me if this is what is causing my issue. From this whole experience, I have learned that you must be your own advocate and no one but you is going to make things happen. The dentist gives me iodine solution and tells me to get a water pik and that was pretty much it. I did some research and I found out that you usually get a root and scaling cleaning so I called back and she said that would be a good idea. I wanted to say duh. She is a very nice person and very kind but I wish she would have said this from the beginning. At any rate, I got the cleaning last week and I have been using the water pik twice a day, I brush and floss after breakfast, lunch and dinner and I use the iodine at night. Also, and this might be the best part of all of this, I bought perio script for the water pik and their toothpaste and mouthwash and it's awesome! All natural. Great reviews and makes my mouth very clean. So maybe this has been my problem all along. I asked if others have had 4's and 5s and had bad breath and she said no so who knows why I have this. Also, I got on the perio script, etc a couple of weeks ago before I had the cleaning and when I saw her last week for the cleaning, she said do you mind if I smell your breath (she said she did smell something bad the first time I saw her and she said it in a nice way and I appreciated that) and we were within inches of each other and I said you don't smell anything right now and she said no and basically stuck her nose in my mouth and did it twice and didn't smell anything. this was before the cleaning. maybe the perio script, etc is working before the cleaning. i haven't really tested my breath on anyone (i have a boyfriend and he has never said anything) but i have an event tomorrow night for work and that will be a good test. so i would say this to you...try the perio script stuff (found on amazon) with the mouthwash and toothpaste. a lot of the ingredients were found to help halitosis and it's very healthy for the gums/teeth. oh and i never would have thought that i had periodontal disease because my teeth/gums never bleed when i brush/floss but when she did the cleaning, it was bleeding a lot. go figure. and then also get a periodontal exam and see if you have any pockets. it may take a couple of weeks/months to get the 4/5s down to 2/3s and i am doing all i can to speed up the process. anyone have experience with this? i fill up the water pik twice and use the whole thing for the bottom of my mouth and the second thing for my top. i brush over 3 minutes each time. just doing all i can. if this doesn't fix the problem, I am sooo screwed because i've done everything else. sorry this is so long. i'm in a hurry but wanted to get your feedback. this dentist is in kingston, ny and if you want to visit her for the test/exam, let me know. she is incredibly nice but seems to have a very busy office. i'm going back in jan to check in and i'm hoping to god i am better. sorry this is so long!

Shliet
Total Newbie

Post by Shliet »

Hi MomSoph,

26 yr here. Well thank you for sharing this! I was planning to go to my dentist in December because I am tired of having this problem.

This is very interesting because my dentist also told me that my teeth and gum are very very healthy and look good. Could you please clarify what you asked her as a test? I got confused with the saliva, the BANA test and what your dentist gave you.

It's funny I wanted to by a waterpick for a long time now. Could you detail what's in the iodine solution?

Also a few personal question if you don't mind. Have you ever attempted to brush your tongue deep? Was it difficult? What about now with the water pik? And one last question have you ever had lesions or bumps that appeared next to your teeth and if yes what did the dentist say. Sorry for the questions.

Anyway I *sometimes* bleed for gums when I brush so I will definitely bring this up with the dentist as well as the test you have mentioned.

Thank you again.
trenski
Junior

Re: Possible cure? Please read :)

Post by trenski »

MomSoph wrote:35 year old female. I've been dealing with this for years and years. Quick run down of what I have done..tonsils out, SIBO test and it was positive but has since cleared up. 2 more SIBO like tests and negative. Gastric emptying and barium test negative because I thought it was coming from my stomach. My tongue always smells when I run my finger over it and smell it. One dr said it was all in my head. Dentist said my gums and teeth are fine. No bleeding and I get a cleaning 2 a year for the past 5 years. I could never smell it and I'm going by reactions and i've had students (I work in education) literally cover their noise with their hands/scarf. They are giggling, etc and I was a ways away from them and this is all going on :( I wasn't going to give up and I called microbiology labs in my area to ask if they could test certain bacteria and they said no and I was googling saliva tests and I came across the BANA test so I called the company that makes this test and they told me someone an hour away that is a dentist has a similar test so I called them. The BANA test is supposed to test bad bacteria that could call halitosis. I go to the dentist and they do a periodontal exam and my dentist has never done this test before (even though I told him I suffer from this problem) and it turns out I have some 4's and 5's and you should have 1, 2 and 3s. This basically means that I have large pockets that capture bacteria, etc and this could be where the halitosis is coming from. She did the saliva test and while it wasn't the BANA test, it did test for a bunch of stuff and it basically came back saying that I had the periodontal disease! Fine by me if this is what is causing my issue. From this whole experience, I have learned that you must be your own advocate and no one but you is going to make things happen. The dentist gives me iodine solution and tells me to get a water pik and that was pretty much it. I did some research and I found out that you usually get a root and scaling cleaning so I called back and she said that would be a good idea. I wanted to say duh. She is a very nice person and very kind but I wish she would have said this from the beginning. At any rate, I got the cleaning last week and I have been using the water pik twice a day, I brush and floss after breakfast, lunch and dinner and I use the iodine at night. Also, and this might be the best part of all of this, I bought perio script for the water pik and their toothpaste and mouthwash and it's awesome! All natural. Great reviews and makes my mouth very clean. So maybe this has been my problem all along. I asked if others have had 4's and 5s and had bad breath and she said no so who knows why I have this. Also, I got on the perio script, etc a couple of weeks ago before I had the cleaning and when I saw her last week for the cleaning, she said do you mind if I smell your breath (she said she did smell something bad the first time I saw her and she said it in a nice way and I appreciated that) and we were within inches of each other and I said you don't smell anything right now and she said no and basically stuck her nose in my mouth and did it twice and didn't smell anything. this was before the cleaning. maybe the perio script, etc is working before the cleaning. i haven't really tested my breath on anyone (i have a boyfriend and he has never said anything) but i have an event tomorrow night for work and that will be a good test. so i would say this to you...try the perio script stuff (found on amazon) with the mouthwash and toothpaste. a lot of the ingredients were found to help halitosis and it's very healthy for the gums/teeth. oh and i never would have thought that i had periodontal disease because my teeth/gums never bleed when i brush/floss but when she did the cleaning, it was bleeding a lot. go figure. and then also get a periodontal exam and see if you have any pockets. it may take a couple of weeks/months to get the 4/5s down to 2/3s and i am doing all i can to speed up the process. anyone have experience with this? i fill up the water pik twice and use the whole thing for the bottom of my mouth and the second thing for my top. i brush over 3 minutes each time. just doing all i can. if this doesn't fix the problem, I am sooo screwed because i've done everything else. sorry this is so long. i'm in a hurry but wanted to get your feedback. this dentist is in kingston, ny and if you want to visit her for the test/exam, let me know. she is incredibly nice but seems to have a very busy office. i'm going back in jan to check in and i'm hoping to god i am better. sorry this is so long!
Hi, I also have deep pockets; mine are from 4 to 8 and my periodontist said that's unhealthy and 1-3 deep pockets are healthy and I needed a deep cleaning and 2 root canals. Hopefully I will be able to get this did in January or February. Please update when you get your deep cleaning and let us know if your BB has reduced or cured. Good Luck and Thanks for sharing your story.
MomSoph
Total Newbie

Post by MomSoph »

Shliet wrote:Hi MomSoph,

26 yr here. Well thank you for sharing this! I was planning to go to my dentist in December because I am tired of having this problem.

This is very interesting because my dentist also told me that my teeth and gum are very very healthy and look good. Could you please clarify what you asked her as a test? I got confused with the saliva, the BANA test and what your dentist gave you.

It's funny I wanted to by a waterpick for a long time now. Could you detail what's in the iodine solution?

Also a few personal question if you don't mind. Have you ever attempted to brush your tongue deep? Was it difficult? What about now with the water pik? And one last question have you ever had lesions or bumps that appeared next to your teeth and if yes what did the dentist say. Sorry for the questions.

Anyway I *sometimes* bleed for gums when I brush so I will definitely bring this up with the dentist as well as the test you have mentioned.

Thank you again.
Hello-
I'm happy to help wherever I can and I apologize for the confusion. I read online that the BANA test could possibly test for the bacteria that causes bad breath so I was searching for that test in my area and I found the manufacturer and they told me that this dentist has it. I called the dentist and asked if they had the bana test and she said no but they have another saliva based test so I thought I would give it a shot since no one else in my area has any kind of saliva tests. I really want to see if I have bad bacteria in my mouth because I know it's not coming from my stomach. At any rate, the dentist gave me this saliva test and I just looked at the report and it says my perio path report from oral dna labs and it says pathogenic bacteria reported and it could be coming from gingivitis. It also tested a bunch of other bacteria and it says I don't have it. So maybe you can do a google search and see who also has this test where you are. I would also get the periodontal exam as well. The iodine solution was prescribed by my dentist after my results and it had to be specially made. It takes nasty but whatever. I've attempted to brush my tongue and my tongue is pretty pink/clean to begin with so I brush it and then use a tongue scraper. I have to say though, I am gagging so much more now because I'm cleaning way back and trying to do a great job. A water pik is awesome and can only help. You should look in to the perio script that i mentioned and if you want, get the toothpaste and mouthwash. All of the reviews are great and it's all natural. I hate the idea of using chemicals, you know? I haven't had any bumps or lesions. let me see if i can find the bana number that I called in case you can call it and see if they have any in your area. i am soooo tired of this and I am sure you are as well. i can't wait to be the comfortable and confident person I once was :( I should be very angry that my dentist and no one else mentioned this (if this is even the solution) but I would have said no way because I didn't see anything, you know? so frustrating :( let me know if you need anything else. i'm happy to help and let me know how it goes for you!
MomSoph
Total Newbie

Post by MomSoph »

trenski wrote:
MomSoph wrote:35 year old female. I've been dealing with this for years and years. Quick run down of what I have done..tonsils out, SIBO test and it was positive but has since cleared up. 2 more SIBO like tests and negative. Gastric emptying and barium test negative because I thought it was coming from my stomach. My tongue always smells when I run my finger over it and smell it. One dr said it was all in my head. Dentist said my gums and teeth are fine. No bleeding and I get a cleaning 2 a year for the past 5 years. I could never smell it and I'm going by reactions and i've had students (I work in education) literally cover their noise with their hands/scarf. They are giggling, etc and I was a ways away from them and this is all going on :( I wasn't going to give up and I called microbiology labs in my area to ask if they could test certain bacteria and they said no and I was googling saliva tests and I came across the BANA test so I called the company that makes this test and they told me someone an hour away that is a dentist has a similar test so I called them. The BANA test is supposed to test bad bacteria that could call halitosis. I go to the dentist and they do a periodontal exam and my dentist has never done this test before (even though I told him I suffer from this problem) and it turns out I have some 4's and 5's and you should have 1, 2 and 3s. This basically means that I have large pockets that capture bacteria, etc and this could be where the halitosis is coming from. She did the saliva test and while it wasn't the BANA test, it did test for a bunch of stuff and it basically came back saying that I had the periodontal disease! Fine by me if this is what is causing my issue. From this whole experience, I have learned that you must be your own advocate and no one but you is going to make things happen. The dentist gives me iodine solution and tells me to get a water pik and that was pretty much it. I did some research and I found out that you usually get a root and scaling cleaning so I called back and she said that would be a good idea. I wanted to say duh. She is a very nice person and very kind but I wish she would have said this from the beginning. At any rate, I got the cleaning last week and I have been using the water pik twice a day, I brush and floss after breakfast, lunch and dinner and I use the iodine at night. Also, and this might be the best part of all of this, I bought perio script for the water pik and their toothpaste and mouthwash and it's awesome! All natural. Great reviews and makes my mouth very clean. So maybe this has been my problem all along. I asked if others have had 4's and 5s and had bad breath and she said no so who knows why I have this. Also, I got on the perio script, etc a couple of weeks ago before I had the cleaning and when I saw her last week for the cleaning, she said do you mind if I smell your breath (she said she did smell something bad the first time I saw her and she said it in a nice way and I appreciated that) and we were within inches of each other and I said you don't smell anything right now and she said no and basically stuck her nose in my mouth and did it twice and didn't smell anything. this was before the cleaning. maybe the perio script, etc is working before the cleaning. i haven't really tested my breath on anyone (i have a boyfriend and he has never said anything) but i have an event tomorrow night for work and that will be a good test. so i would say this to you...try the perio script stuff (found on amazon) with the mouthwash and toothpaste. a lot of the ingredients were found to help halitosis and it's very healthy for the gums/teeth. oh and i never would have thought that i had periodontal disease because my teeth/gums never bleed when i brush/floss but when she did the cleaning, it was bleeding a lot. go figure. and then also get a periodontal exam and see if you have any pockets. it may take a couple of weeks/months to get the 4/5s down to 2/3s and i am doing all i can to speed up the process. anyone have experience with this? i fill up the water pik twice and use the whole thing for the bottom of my mouth and the second thing for my top. i brush over 3 minutes each time. just doing all i can. if this doesn't fix the problem, I am sooo screwed because i've done everything else. sorry this is so long. i'm in a hurry but wanted to get your feedback. this dentist is in kingston, ny and if you want to visit her for the test/exam, let me know. she is incredibly nice but seems to have a very busy office. i'm going back in jan to check in and i'm hoping to god i am better. sorry this is so long!
Hi, I also have deep pockets; mine are from 4 to 8 and my periodontist said that's unhealthy and 1-3 deep pockets are healthy and I needed a deep cleaning and 2 root canals. Hopefully I will be able to get this did in January or February. Please update when you get your deep cleaning and let us know if your BB has reduced or cured. Good Luck and Thanks for sharing your story.
Did your dentist say that people with 4 to 8 should definitely have this problem? I just find it odd that my dentist said that some don't have this problem even though they have high numbers. I'll keep you posted. I hope this is a solution for you as well!
MomSoph
Total Newbie

Post by MomSoph »

MomSoph wrote:
trenski wrote:
Did your dentist say that people with 4 to 8 should definitely have this problem? I just find it odd that my dentist said that some don't have this problem even though they have high numbers. I'll keep you posted. I hope this is a solution for you as well!
i can't find the bana test number but go to this website: http://www.oraldna.com/ to see who in your area may be able to do this saliva test. maybe you don't need it and just need the exam but just in case it helps, give it a shot and read up on it.
trenski
Junior

Post by trenski »

MomSoph wrote:
trenski wrote:
Yes, my dentist said that my advanced gum disease and high deep pockets 4-8 is what is causing my BB; but I won't know until i get this done. I hope it's my cure. Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic