Your Email Address:

First Name:

bb elimination list

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

^^ I remember that and it was eye opening indeed.

My theory is that there is dysfunction in the salivary gland... in normal people saliva breaks down the food and also lubricates the throat so food (or mucous from PND) can slide down. With us there isn't enough saliva (or good enough saliva) to wash things down. So food particles, mucous, etc. just sit there and rotting and chemical reactions take place. That would cause a poor environment in the mouth. Some of us have pnd some have throat discomfort, but we ALL have the result of oral malodor.

Anyone feel extremely dry throat during the sleeping hours? Water doesn't help. Water isn't saliva, it does not have the properties to break down food. Who knows, it could be washing away what little saliva we did produce!

So some of us have similar symptoms to acid reflux, but it may not be food coming back up from the stomach... it's food that never made it's way down!

What we need is for someone to give us a gallon of good saliva and drink it! Nah Just kidding! Don't wanna give anyone any ideas!

I agree that there should be sections in the site, like throat, nasal, stomach, etc... so that people can share symptoms. Who knows, there may be a common denominator. There is enough people available here to at least narrow down what the source of the problem is. Without knowing the source, forget about solving the problem.

Oh, and the tonsils, and mouth are not a source, they are merely victims of bacterial growth IMO.

DK3790
Junior

Post by DK3790 »

hmmm it says that this is usually in people over the age of 60...what are the chances of me, a 17 yr old guy who's had bad breath since 11 years old, to have this? but then on the other hand, it does seem likely because it is not from the tonsils (i checked already) it is not from PND and if it is, it's just a little bit. Also at first I thought I had reflux but it is not food coming from the stomach it is probably food that never made if down. I think my situtation is from the throat.
DK3790
Junior

Post by DK3790 »

Anyone know how much the surgery would cost for this?
noptical
God

Post by noptical »

DK3790
I'm 19 and I have dry mouth sometimes. This is when my breath is at its worst.
whyme
Junior

Post by whyme »

austuser wrote:
whyme wrote: maybe is something in our throat that leaves food particles to rot there.
like some kind of pouch or something... but wierd thing is water is suppose to wash it out, if you drink water right after brushing but it doesn't. so that leaves us another question.

a place where food particles get in but water can't.
read this thread i posted about a month back, which no-one seemed to think was significant

viewtopic.php?t=537
Zenker's diverticulum interesting..

i need to write these stuff down in a list and ask the ENT about it.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Just found this article about lasering of the Lingual tonsils (=the base of the tongue) way back in the 80:s. Wonder why it's rarely heard of these days?

Jimi, when you do your laser therapy of the remains of your normal (palatine) tonsils, will you check if he can also do something about the base of the tongue..?

Article: http://www.halitos.se/pdf/CO2Laser.pdf
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

Can you explain more precisely what is the base

do you mean under the tongue where the teeth are?
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

I do not thing the lingual tonsils could be the reason. They are full of saliva and this should clean them

I can not believe why would they contain the bacteria.

THere is not place they could hide I think
TIREDOFIT
Advanced

Post by TIREDOFIT »

I'm 35. When I was 19 I first realized I had a bad breath problem. This is also when I developed lactose intolerance and sinus allergies and pnd. I finally learned that I needed to hack up the mucus in my throat every morning and my bb was less offensive. Then, a few years went by and my bb got much worse. I read an article about tonsiliths and so I took a flashlight and investigated and I found many of them in my tonsils. I pushed them out with a straw and my breath got somewhat better. I had kaiser and they would not take my tonsils out. A few years past and I started to work out and do cardio real hard everyday, drank soy milk, took 1000mg vit C everyday and my breath was never better. I think it was the working out and the drinking a lot of water that did the trick because I notice that when I work out the mucus from the pnd comes down and out easily.
Now recently my breath has been just horrid! Now when people smell it they are just disgusted and think that it is a fart or a poopy diaper (thank goodness I have 2 kids to blame it on!) This has been ever since I got a hiatal hernia from being pregnant four years ago. I notice that my throat would burn in the middle of the night. I also had a lot of pain in my upper left side by my ribs. I thought it was an ulcer. kaiser didn't test for anything, they just put me on some anti-bacterial medicine that made my breath smell like marajuana - I think everyone thought I was a pot-head at the time! :lol: Just before I got pregnant again I discovered that I had a a hiatal hernia. Now that I had my baby I'm going in on Wed. to get refered to my gastrologist to ask about surgery. I'm a military wife now so the medical coverage is MUCH better! They even would do a tonsilectomy on me no problem. That will be my next surgery if the hiatal hernia correction does not work. I should have gotten it done before , but I chickened out. Now that I recently had a c-section with my last baby I can take anything!
For me I think that the problem was my pnd and tonsils, but now I think that it's my belly. This bb seems to be much more offensive. Dr. Oz (from Oprah) says that bb comes from the belly and when the closing at the end of the esophagus and the beginning of the belly stays open for some reason, then the gases from you stomach will be released out your mouth and it smells like sewage. Makes sense to me! But, how come some people have gerd and don't have smelly breath??? And not all people with pnd have bb??? These are the questions that make me think it's something else???

I took a lot of anti-biotics as a kid. Which makes me think it might be that.
I have pnd, Had many a ent check it out they all said I had nothing wrong.
No dental problems.
saw an allergist and they said I had no known allergies. said I most likely had an irritation to some scents and precribed Aselin. Very bitter! Need to give it a try for a longer period.
I have gerd, and a hiatal hernia. Have taken the generic for tagament and prilosec and still have bb and gerd.
I have a few visible tonsiliths now and again. My ent said that they could be under the surface.
It's worse when i have a cold.
I'm lactose intolerant and stay away from milk products.
Close family members can't smell it for some reason, but everyone else can, believe me!!!
My bb travels quite a distance!

This is a great idea! I hope more people post their symtoms!
kiki

Post by kiki »

I hope both surgeries go well for you, knowing the problem is half the solution. Good luck O:)
hopeful
Master

Post by hopeful »

I agree that there should be sections in the site, like throat, nasal, stomach, etc... so that people can share symptoms. Who knows, there may be a common denominator. There is enough people available here to at least narrow down what the source of the problem is. Without knowing the source, forget about solving the problem.

Oh, and the tonsils, and mouth are not a source, they are merely victims of bacterial growth IMO.
I could not agree with you more on the above.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

TIREDOFIT wrote: Dr. Oz (from Oprah) says that bb comes from the belly and when the closing at the end of the esophagus and the beginning of the belly stays open for some reason, then the gases from you stomach will be released out your mouth and it smells like sewage. Makes sense to me! But, how come some people have gerd and don't have smelly breath???
If this was the case, I guess any burp would also have a sewage aroma..?

I'm more into the idea that the intestinal gases go via 'the back entrance' = from the lower intestines into the blood stream - to the lungs and out in the exhaled air, although that's also quite an unlikely theory ;)

(The stinky garlic and onion components travel that way though.)
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Jimi wrote:Can you explain more precisely what is the base

do you mean under the tongue where the teeth are?

Base of the Tongue = Lingual Tonsils. You know that bumpy area you can feel if you stick a finger far back on the tongue. The final third of the tongue I guess, where most people with bb seem to stink the most, at least I do.

If I lay a finger back there in the morning it stinks like pure Ass.

If that surface can be smoothened out with laser, maybe the result will be glorious [-o<
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Larc400 wrote:If this was the case, I guess any burp would also have a sewage aroma..?
My burps smell like sewage. I once silent burped in front of a friend and her reaction was unbelievable. Worse thing she ever smelled, she said.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Do you guys feel like you have to clear your throat in the morning when you wake up and go to the bathroom to brush your teeth? I sometimes also smell somethin weird when I breathe out of my nose and then breathe back in in the morning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic