Your Email Address:

First Name:

Does anyone else test their breath this way?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Sadface

Does anyone else test their breath this way?

Post by Sadface »

So it's my first post, I've lurked for a long time but I decided to finally share. I'm not sure when my breath smells or not. I will be brushing and scraping and flossing and using Closys rinse, gargling for up to five minutes and STILL occasionally I will get a comment of "did someone fart?" But I can never smell it. I thought this simple enough routine at least had it under control so I could go to social events with some peace of mind, but at a wedding this weekend a young child walked by me and said "it smells like farts out here." I immediately went and rinsed my mouth and gargled in the bathroom. It probably didn't even help! But better than slamming my head in a closed door like I wanted to ](*,)
So anyways, my breath comes from the back of my tongue. I'm pretty sure it's from post nasal drip, as I always have mucus in my throat and have to constantly struggle to clear it either by swallowing or hacking it up. I'll scrape the white away on my tongue and it'll be back within hours. Very bad in the mornings.
So what I do to test it is I take my finger and rub it on the back of my tongue, but if I just smell my finger there's no smell. So then I have to rub the finger on the back of my hand. Then wait about 10 seconds and there is usually always a smell ranging from either faint and "tangy" to almost like garbage (in the mornings.)
Does anyone else do this? If you do try it, let me know what you notice. I start to wonder "doesn't the back of everyone's tongue have to have SOME sort of smell?!" I mean we eat and drink shit all day, I can't imagine there ever being no odors back there. But maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better. Cause while the comments for me aren't as frequent as they were when I first realized I had bb, they still come around. Maybe 1-3 times a month. It's never direct, just "did someone fart." And the only one I've spoken to about it is my mom who says no, you don't have a problem and she says I would tell you if you did, because she sees how depressed it makes me and she actively wants to help and will listen to me ramble for hours about it. My boyfriend never has said anything about it and we are together every single day, and I've been in many unfortunate situations where I run out of mouthwash/don't brush right away on the mornings, and it makes me wish he'd just say "hey I notice you have shit breath" so I could at least stop wondering if it's as bad as I think it is! However when I feel like I smell, I'll vaguely ask him "hey I feel gross do I stink?" And he will say "no, I'm in the same car with you, I could tell and I would tell you." :roll: so either mine is very intermittent BUT pretty bad to cause comments when it is bad, or I always stank and my mom and boyfriend are trying to protect me from finding out. Sorry for the long ass post! feel free to tell me if your situation is similar, we can tackle things together!

Summerside
Advanced
Re: Does anyone else test their breath this way?

Post by Summerside »

Sadface wrote:So it's my first post, I've lurked for a long time but I decided to finally share. I'm not sure when my breath smells or not. I will be brushing and scraping and flossing and using Closys rinse, gargling for up to five minutes and STILL occasionally I will get a comment of "did someone fart?" But I can never smell it. I thought this simple enough routine at least had it under control so I could go to social events with some peace of mind, but at a wedding this weekend a young child walked by me and said "it smells like farts out here." I immediately went and rinsed my mouth and gargled in the bathroom. It probably didn't even help! But better than slamming my head in a closed door like I wanted to ](*,)
So anyways, my breath comes from the back of my tongue. I'm pretty sure it's from post nasal drip, as I always have mucus in my throat and have to constantly struggle to clear it either by swallowing or hacking it up. I'll scrape the white away on my tongue and it'll be back within hours. Very bad in the mornings.
So what I do to test it is I take my finger and rub it on the back of my tongue, but if I just smell my finger there's no smell. So then I have to rub the finger on the back of my hand. Then wait about 10 seconds and there is usually always a smell ranging from either faint and "tangy" to almost like garbage (in the mornings.)
Does anyone else do this? If you do try it, let me know what you notice. I start to wonder "doesn't the back of everyone's tongue have to have SOME sort of smell?!" I mean we eat and drink shit all day, I can't imagine there ever being no odors back there. But maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better. Cause while the comments for me aren't as frequent as they were when I first realized I had bb, they still come around. Maybe 1-3 times a month. It's never direct, just "did someone fart." And the only one I've spoken to about it is my mom who says no, you don't have a problem and she says I would tell you if you did, because she sees how depressed it makes me and she actively wants to help and will listen to me ramble for hours about it. My boyfriend never has said anything about it and we are together every single day, and I've been in many unfortunate situations where I run out of mouthwash/don't brush right away on the mornings, and it makes me wish he'd just say "hey I notice you have shit breath" so I could at least stop wondering if it's as bad as I think it is! However when I feel like I smell, I'll vaguely ask him "hey I feel gross do I stink?" And he will say "no, I'm in the same car with you, I could tell and I would tell you." :roll: so either mine is very intermittent BUT pretty bad to cause comments when it is bad, or I always stank and my mom and boyfriend are trying to protect me from finding out. Sorry for the long ass post! feel free to tell me if your situation is similar, we can tackle things together!
I really wonder if you have bb.
If your breath smells like fart it is hard to imagine it would not bother your boyfriend
Any kid around you can ask or a doctor?
Kids are very honest
Did you ever take a breath test at a dentist?
Sadface

Post by Sadface »

Summerside wrote:
Sadface wrote:So it's my first post, I've lurked for a long time but I decided to finally share. I'm not sure when my breath smells or not. I will be brushing and scraping and flossing and using Closys rinse, gargling for up to five minutes and STILL occasionally I will get a comment of "did someone fart?" But I can never smell it. I thought this simple enough routine at least had it under control so I could go to social events with some peace of mind, but at a wedding this weekend a young child walked by me and said "it smells like farts out here." I immediately went and rinsed my mouth and gargled in the bathroom. It probably didn't even help! But better than slamming my head in a closed door like I wanted to ](*,)
If your breath smells like fart it is hard to imagine it would not bother your boyfriend
Kids are very honest

I have wondered the same thing, but I am too afraid of getting my hopes up because once I decide it might be in my head, someone standing near me will say did someone fart, or like the other day my brothers girlfriend said "did I step in dog poop" when we were in the car together. And I couldn't smell a thing but I had literally just brushed and everything right before ](*,)
I just went to the dentist yesterday and mentioned the breath problem. They said nothing about it, just said that I had some build up of plaque and I will probably see relief :roll: and I don't think any dentist here offers the breath test. I'm going crazy, all the comments can't be coincidence you know? Sigh
Summerside
Advanced

Post by Summerside »

Sadface wrote:
Summerside wrote:
Kids are very honest

I have wondered the same thing, but I am too afraid of getting my hopes up because once I decide it might be in my head, someone standing near me will say did someone fart, or like the other day my brothers girlfriend said "did I step in dog poop" when we were in the car together. And I couldn't smell a thing but I had literally just brushed and everything right before ](*,)
I just went to the dentist yesterday and mentioned the breath problem. They said nothing about it, just said that I had some build up of plaque and I will probably see relief :roll: and I don't think any dentist here offers the breath test. I'm going crazy, all the comments can't be coincidence you know? Sigh
How long have you been with your boyfriend?
Bb5yrs
Advanced

Post by Bb5yrs »

I have pnd and I went to an ENT and he prescribed a
Medication to stop pnd temporarily and my bb didn't go so my conclusion is that pnd will not cause bad breath unless it is infected I.e colored green.

Maybe try running ur fingers agains ur wisdom teeth at the back maybe they are the real source.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus Surgery - Check
Dentist Examination - Check
H Pylori - Positive & got treatment - Check
Post nasal drip - tried temporary medication to stop it but BB didn't go - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
CherreBelle

Post by CherreBelle »

My husband, my brother and my mother can't smell my bad breath but the rest of the world can. They might not be lying to you, everybody can't detect it.
Sadface

Post by Sadface »

Summerside wrote:
Sadface wrote:
Summerside wrote:
Kids are very honest

How long have you been with your boyfriend?
About 6 months or so
Sadface

Post by Sadface »

Bb5yrs wrote:
I have pnd and I went to an ENT and he prescribed a
Medication to stop pnd temporarily and my bb didn't go so my conclusion is that pnd will not cause bad breath unless it is infected I.e colored green.

Maybe try running ur fingers agains ur wisdom teeth at the back maybe they are the real source.

Yes, I have partially impacted wisdom teeth and if I rub one of them there was a strong smell one day, but since I started cleaning them thoroughly, no smell. My dentist is going to remove them soon though. If it was that simple of a fix, I'll be amazed and so so happy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic