Your Email Address:

First Name:

Rotten Egg Breath/Nasal Breath NEED HELP!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Frustratedgal
Rotten Egg Breath/Nasal Breath NEED HELP!

Post by Frustratedgal »

Hello Everyone,

I am having a serious problem with a rotten egg smell coming from both my mouth & nose! This is a room filling smell. It's really bad. Started 6 months ago-I went to dentist & found out I had an abscess in an upper molar from a failed root canal. The abscess was in the inside of the gums and was draining into my maxillary sinuses. I had the tooth pulled 2 weeks later. Took amoxicillin & metronidazole after tooth was pulled. The smell is still there (not always as strong as when it 1st started but some days are worse than others). I have even been doing a nasal irrigation daily for the past 3 months along with trying 2 weeks of the antibiotic Augmentin. Has anyone else experienced this? If so please how did you get rid of the smell???

Also there is still a very light coating on tongue & I have some post nasal drip. I'm assuming these are also from the infection from the tooth as they have improved some but not completely.

Is it possible that since the abscess was inside gums and draining into sinuses that maybe my adenoids are now infected? I saw that online & had them checked but ENT saw nothing out of the norm.

Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!

Robert20
Junior
Re: Rotten Egg Breath/Nasal Breath NEED HELP!

Post by Robert20 »

Antibiotics make it worse.. if you read through the forum most of us are dealing with the same situation, check the blecah rinse mouthwash subject. Good luck.
Batman30

Post by Batman30 »

I have the same situation on and off. Had it when I was 16 for about a year and went away, but then came back at 28 really bad. I just turned 30 and have gotten it a bit better with irrigation, no dairy and two rounds of antibiotics. However, Antibiotics are not the cure. They will help for about a week and then smell will come back. I have come to the conclusion that my condition is due to a chronic sinus infection/post nasal drip and anaerobic bacteria in the back of my throat. When the mucus drips down and touches the back of the throat, that's when the smell happens. Is this your issue as well? I'm constantly coughing and spitting out mucus all day. But do you notice on our good days when there's little mucus, the smell is mild to nothing. It's due to this combination. I may never get rid of what ever this weird bacteria is but my goal is to get rid of my chronic mucus drip. One step at a time . Hang in there man, stay positive , we'll figure this out.
Frustratedgal

Post by Frustratedgal »

Robert20 wrote:Antibiotics make it worse.. if you read through the forum most of us are dealing with the same situation, check the blecah rinse mouthwash subject. Good luck.
Thanks I'll check that one out
Frustratedgal

Post by Frustratedgal »

Batman30 wrote:I have the same situation on and off. Had it when I was 16 for about a year and went away, but then came back at 28 really bad. I just turned 30 and have gotten it a bit better with irrigation, no dairy and two rounds of antibiotics. However, Antibiotics are not the cure. They will help for about a week and then smell will come back. I have come to the conclusion that my condition is due to a chronic sinus infection/post nasal drip and anaerobic bacteria in the back of my throat. When the mucus drips down and touches the back of the throat, that's when the smell happens. Is this your issue as well? I'm constantly coughing and spitting out mucus all day. But do you notice on our good days when there's little mucus, the smell is mild to nothing. It's due to this combination. I may never get rid of what ever this weird bacteria is but my goal is to get rid of my chronic mucus drip. One step at a time . Hang in there man, stay positive , we'll figure this out.

Thanks for replying! Yes this too is my experience! The thick mucus in throat seems to be a major factor. I've never experienced this until the tooth abscess so I'm guessing the infection caused the excess mucus??? I am goin to continue with the irrigation & I'm also going to try adding oil of oregano.
Batman30

Post by Batman30 »

Oil of oregano helps a lot. So does gargling and drinking liquid chlorophyll. Still I haven't found a "cure" but some things help.

I don't use this product but this article on their website makes a lot of sense to me and words this condition very well.

http://www.therabreath.com/anaerobic-bacteria.html
Bb5yrs
Advanced

Post by Bb5yrs »

From what I read online if u have bb and bad smell from ur nose this means that the source is internal i.e from ur gut.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus Surgery - Check
Dentist Examination - Check
H Pylori - Positive & got treatment - Check
Post nasal drip - tried temporary medication to stop it but BB didn't go - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Frustratedgal

Post by Frustratedgal »

Batman30 wrote:Oil of oregano helps a lot. So does gargling and drinking liquid chlorophyll. Still I haven't found a "cure" but some things help.

I don't use this product but this article on their website makes a lot of sense to me and words this condition very well.

Hi I wanted to check in to see how u r making out? Any progress at all? If so please share with me ur routine if you don’t mind? I have gotten it a little better with daily sinus irrigation with alternating oil of oregano and grapefruit seed extract. I also started brushing my tongue & gargling with the grapefruit seed extract. I am noticing I am not getting as many reactions but still some on some days & I’m really hoping to find a permanent cure, or at least a permanent routine that would help every single day until I can figure out how to get rid of this.
CherreBelle

Post by CherreBelle »

I was on augmentin following a root canal, didn't even give me a temporary relief from BB. A lot of people on this forum swear by bleach rinses, it literally worked for me only once. I continued to use it anyway, thinking that it might be be better than not using it only to find out it made my breath worse. I've determined that Bleach rinses are not for folks with Nasal BB.

Oil of oregano has been a Godsend though. I put it on my toothbrush and I mix it with baking soda as paste for my tongue as suggested in another thread. I also put a detox of it in my neilmed sinus rinse, it burns but is quite effective. I take candida cleanse and I don't do sugar anymore. That sugar thing is a real stuggle for me.
Frustratedgal

Post by Frustratedgal »

CherreBelle wrote:I was on augmentin following a root canal, didn't even give me a temporary relief from BB. A lot of people on this forum swear by bleach rinses, it literally worked for me only once. I continued to use it anyway, thinking that it might be be better than not using it only to find out it made my breath worse. I've determined that Bleach rinses are not for folks with Nasal BB.

Oil of oregano has been a Godsend though. I put it on my toothbrush and I mix it with baking soda as paste for my tongue as suggested in another thread. I also put a detox of it in my neilmed sinus rinse, it burns but is quite effective. I take candida cleanse and I don't do sugar anymore. That sugar thing is a real stuggle for me.
Thanks for sharing the info!! Are you still experiencing any odor from mouth and/or nose? & how many drops of the oil of oregano are you using for your mouth & nose rinsing routines?
CherreBelle

Post by CherreBelle »

Frustratedgal wrote:
CherreBelle wrote:I was on augmentin following a root canal, didn't even give me a temporary relief from BB. A lot of people on this forum swear by bleach rinses, it literally worked for me only once. I continued to use it anyway, thinking that it might be be better than not using it only to find out it made my breath worse. I've determined that Bleach rinses are not for folks with Nasal BB.

Thanks for sharing the info!! Are you still experiencing any odor from mouth and/or nose? & how many drops of the oil of oregano are you using for your mouth & nose rinsing routines?
I can't smell it so I go by what people tell me. I've only been at it for about two weeks now but Oil of oregano gives me a pink tongue, I usually use 3 drops. You will have to brush again midday because it doesn't last long but it is effective. The nasal rinse though, I can only tolerate one drop of oil of oregano because it burns like hell
Frustratedgal

Post by Frustratedgal »

CherreBelle wrote:
Frustratedgal wrote:

I can't smell it so I go by what people tell me. I've only been at it for about two weeks now but Oil of oregano gives me a pink tongue, I usually use 3 drops. You will have to brush again midday because it doesn't last long but it is effective. The nasal rinse though, I can only tolerate one drop of oil of oregano because it burns like hell
Ok thanks
deebas
Advanced

Post by deebas »

Frustratedgal wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am having a serious problem with a rotten egg smell coming from both my mouth & nose! This is a room filling smell. It's really bad. Started 6 months ago-I went to dentist & found out I had an abscess in an upper molar from a failed root canal. The abscess was in the inside of the gums and was draining into my maxillary sinuses. I had the tooth pulled 2 weeks later. Took amoxicillin & metronidazole after tooth was pulled. The smell is still there (not always as strong as when it 1st started but some days are worse than others). I have even been doing a nasal irrigation daily for the past 3 months along with trying 2 weeks of the antibiotic Augmentin. Has anyone else experienced this? If so please how did you get rid of the smell???

Also there is still a very light coating on tongue & I have some post nasal drip. I'm assuming these are also from the infection from the tooth as they have improved some but not completely.
Feel your pain. Sounds similar to my problem. Lately it is so bad I can smell it myself often when I breath in. Sometimes I even think its other people that smell until I realize it is the same smell every time.

Have tried most things on here and nothing has worked even slightly.
- - ------------ [ - i stink therefore i am - ] ------------ - -
Batman30

Post by Batman30 »

Frustratedgal wrote:
Batman30 wrote:Oil of oregano helps a lot. So does gargling and drinking liquid chlorophyll. Still I haven't found a "cure" but some things help.

Hi I wanted to check in to see how u r making out? Any progress at all? If so please share with me ur routine if you don’t mind? I have gotten it a little better with daily sinus irrigation with alternating oil of oregano and grapefruit seed extract. I also started brushing my tongue & gargling with the grapefruit seed extract. I am noticing I am not getting as many reactions but still some on some days & I’m really hoping to find a permanent cure, or at least a permanent routine that would help every single day until I can figure out how to get rid of this.
Sorry for the delay.. I’ve been recently irrigating twice daily with GFE and went on a 10 day drinking of goldenseal extract. It’s the best I’ve ever been but still is here. I’ve also thought that a
Vitamin deficiency might be a factor. I wear a hat often to me losing my hair at a young age to protect from the elements ( I kinda live in the foothills).. the other day I went swimming in the river and layed in the sun for awhile, longer than usual and my issue was the best it’s ever been the next couple days... I work construction sometimes so am in the sun often but because I buzz my head I wear a hat or else I’ll get heatstroke. So maybe a vitamin D deficiency?

I apologize for any bad grammar, typing on phone..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic