Your Email Address:

First Name:

Building a halitometer

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
fog
Junior

Building a halitometer

Post by fog »

BB is hard to pinpoint, tainted with phobia and guesswork. Many dont have or dread asking someone else about the smell, and if we do can we trust what they say? We need a something more objective, a machine that gives us a number. This would be a huge help to find what works when we try all the "cures".

Murat Aydin on this forum(viewtopic.php?p=64798#p64798) builds his own halitometer to measure the smelly gases.

To build the device we need the parts and a guide to put them together, not an impossible task. I personally dont have the skills to do it without a simple to understand guide. Hoping we could gather the information together in this thread.

A sensor needed for measuring the gas (H2S = hydrogen sulfide) called MQ136, costs about 30 USD.
Simply search on amazon or ebay. No idea of the quality needed or if there are cheaper ones. I assume this will be more of a budget build.

Now lets figgure out the rest...

winter
Sheriff

Re: Building a halitometer

Post by winter »

It is cheaper on some other websites, especially if we purchase together in bulks.

I think a few names given by Murat are ready-built industry grade gas testers. I can't find the price though. I see some other brands cost a couple hundreds. Not sure how is the quality.

It may not be worth building one yourself unless you are interested in the learning process. It is a lot more convenient and just a little more expensive to get a ready-built one.
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

winter wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:16 pm It may not be worth building one yourself unless you are interested in the learning process. It is a lot more convenient and just a little more expensive to get a ready-built one.
You mean like a hydrogen sulfide gas leak detector?
Sadly I guess that is what we become, hydrogen sulfide gas leakers :lol:

The tinkerer in me was looking forward to messing with an arduino, I never have before but its very time consuming to learn that stuff.
Looks like a detector can be found for around 70-100 USD. Then it is not worth the hassle if you only plan to build one.

I wonder what the market is for this, how many reading this would be interested in your own halitometer?
Helpus

Post by Helpus »

Protege ZM (H2S) Hydrogen Sulphide Single Gas Monitor (Hi Viz Red) - 2 Year Life
Would this measure the gas odour ?
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

Hum.. i have tried to figgure out the sensitivity needed for the sensor.
The one I mentioned called MQ136, has a sensitivity of 0-100ppm
Harmful dose of the gas is around 1-50ppm.
I belive the meter needs sensitivity of ppb(parts per billion) possibly. As i seriously doubt a human can manage anything near harmful dose.
However the levels might spike when blowing air at the sensor. Murat should have the answer for this.
Last edited by fog on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

Maybe there is hope for a less expensive sensor, i found this:
Effects of Various H2S Levels
Hydrogen Sulfide Level in PPM Resulting Conditions on Humans
0.13 Minimal perceptible odor.
4.60 Easily detected, moderate odor.
10 Beginning eye irritation.
27 Strong, unpleasant odor, but not intolerable.
100 Coughing, eye irritation, loss of sense of smell after 2 to 5 minutes.
200-300 Marked conjunctivitis (eye inflammation) and respiratory tract irritation after one hour of exposure.
So as long as it is high precision, it should work... maybe. I found some other information that just by exhaling on the sensor the humidity and heat will make it trigger a reaction. :-k
https://goodforgas.com/readings-h2s-no2 ... sors-g460/
Last edited by fog on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helpus

Post by Helpus »

Iam going to try this its around 120eu to see if it gives me some sort of reading,iam making people sneeze and cough,in aircraft,shops,bars,just walking in the park so i think i have strong level,people are getting a tickly cough reaction and 3-6 sneezes not together one or the other,not everybody just certain people maybe they have some sort of illness like cancer and iam highlighting it,god knows
Helpus

Post by Helpus »

Good work fog where is this meter for sale
Helpus

Post by Helpus »

Fog is this a portable meter like the one i showed you,or is this a sensor for halimeter
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

Helpus wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:56 pm Iam going to try this its around 120eu to see if it gives me some sort of reading,iam making people sneeze and cough,in aircraft,shops,bars,just walking in the park so i think i have strong level,people are getting a tickly cough reaction and 3-6 sneezes not together one or the other,not everybody just certain people maybe they have some sort of illness like cancer and iam highlighting it,god knows
https://www.testmeter.sg/products/Scott ... or-H2S/364

looks like it has 1-100ppm
I would have liked to find one with a decimal precision at least.

Edit: found one model with a decimal precision, no idea if it is any good.
h2s detector by FORENSICS

-

Reply to your question
It was not a product, just information.
Last edited by fog on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helpus

Post by Helpus »

183684135548 selling on ebay £75 will try it🤔
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

I think it is safe to say humans max out below 5ppm.
0.13 Minimal perceptible odor.
4.60 Easily detected, moderate odor. #this is in reference to some industry, probably petrolium, so not the words of a doctor
10 Beginning eye irritation. #sounds like superhuman levels
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

Figaro sensor 1-30ppm
http://www.figarosensor.com/products/entry/tgs2602.html
cheapest one I think at 5 USD on aliexpress (sensor only).

H2S-B4 sensor (capable of PPB levels)
http://www.alphasense.com/index.php/pro ... lfide-air/
Expensie at 155 USD on aliexpress (sensor only).
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

Looks like there is one meter with one decimal precision. for around 130 pounds

I will post the link, I think it is obvious Im not maiking any money on these links.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hydrogen-Profe ... e+detector

Now is it worth anything, does it tell you anything. I have no idea, so dont hold me accountable, make your own decision.
Helpus

Post by Helpus »

Fog i have ordered the red one from ebay,i will try and report back,if no good then i will try your one👍
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic