Your Email Address:

First Name:

Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
KL123
Sheriff
Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.

Post by KL123 »

****************************************************************************************

Seriously, to all those who advise us to follow a certain dental hygiene, this one is more for you guys than us as we always knew it's not the oral or dental hygiene. Many of us suffering from this abnormality, follow a better oral and dental hygiene practices than those who don't suffer from this problem.

*****************************************************************************************

Researchers have identified a genetic cause for chronic bad breath, also called halitosis.

Here is the link
https://www.futurity.org/genes-chronic- ... h-1641552/

Researchers at Radboud University in the Netherlands have been studying families with chronic bad breath for several years. They found that these people produced a lot of sulfur-based compounds in their breath, especially methanethiol which has an unpleasant boiled-cabbage smell. Methanethiol is normally produced during digestion but broken down in the body.

Some bacteria can break down sulfur compounds. Based on bacterial genes, the team identified a human protein, selenium binding protein 1, which can convert methanethiol into other and compounds.

When the researchers looked at their human patients, they found that all had mutations in the SELENBP1 gene that produces this protein and they all had high levels of methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide in their blood. When blood reaches the lungs, these smelly sulfur compounds leave the blood and are exhaled in breath.

Similarly, mice with a genetic knockout of the mouse equivalent of SELENBP1 had low levels of the protein and high levels of methanethiol and other volatile sulfur compounds in their blood.

“While we didn’t put our noses up to the mice’s mouths, we did measure high amounts of some of these odor-forming chemicals in their blood, matching precisely what was found in the patients,” Lloyd says.

SELENBP1 has also been associated with some cancers in humans, although it is not clear how this works.

Currently, there is no treatment for this form of halitosis, but the genetic studies and a better understanding of sulfur metabolism might lead to treatments in the future.

The researchers report their results in the journal Nature Genetics.

Additional authors of the study are from UC Davis; Radboud University; the University of Groeningen; Universitätsklinikum Münster, Germany; Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences; University Hospital Freiburg, Germany; the University of Warwick, UK; and Hospital de Dona Estefânia, Lisbon, Portugal.

Source: UC Davis

Original Study DOI: 10.1038/s41588-017-0006-7

StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.

Post by StillHoping »

I feel this might be the cause for those of us whose bb started around puberty, especially those with relatives that also have it
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
space
Advanced

Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.

Post by space »

I've also read this before. For this type of bb, there's still no testing available. And still under research and study. I think this is very rare, but maybe a few of us here have it especially the ones with other family members also having strong bb. And cannot be cured by all of the other tried treatments.
Jaim618

Post by Jaim618 »

I’m pretty sure this is what I have. Nothing works for me, and I have family members with bb.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Jaim618 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 am I’m pretty sure this is what I have. Nothing works for me, and I have family members with bb.
Same here.
I know it’s useless but I am thinking to try selenium pills (herbal supplement) once a day?
Jaim618

Post by Jaim618 »

Never heard of them! Let me know if it works
terranpatriot
Advanced

Post by terranpatriot »

The main symptom of this condition is "extraoral" bad breath from BOTH the nose and the mouth. The sulfur compounds are concentrated in the blood and exhaled through the lungs. If you have it only from your mouth, it's unlikely that this is the cause.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

terranpatriot wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:59 am The main symptom of this condition is "extraoral" bad breath from BOTH the nose and the mouth. The sulfur compounds are concentrated in the blood and exhaled through the lungs. If you have it only from your mouth, it's unlikely that this is the cause.
I thought about it but the study does not seem to reveal if the nose exhale was tested or not?
What they focused was that the problem was common among other family members.
terranpatriot
Advanced

Post by terranpatriot »

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/SELENBP1#conditions

See under 'Health Conditions Related to Genetic Changes'

"Extraoral halitosis due to methanethiol oxidase deficiency (EHMTO): An autosomal recessive malodor condition characterized by extraoral blood-borne halitosis resulting from the accumulation of sulfur-containing metabolites. In extraoral blood-borne halitosis, malodorant compounds are carried to the lungs, where they enter the breath. Affected individuals have a cabbage-like breath odor, high levels of methanethiol and dimethylsulfide in oral and nasal breath, and elevated urinary excretion of dimethylsulfoxide in the absence of intake of dimethylsulfide-containing food or use of sulfur-containing medication, lower-gastrointestinal problems, and known metabolic defects, such as methionine adenosyltransferase deficiency and tyrosinemia. [MIM:618148]"
Jaim618

Post by Jaim618 »

KL123 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:45 pm
Jaim618 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 am I’m pretty sure this is what I have. Nothing works for me, and I have family members with bb.
Same here.
I know it’s useless but I am thinking to try selenium pills (herbal supplement) once a day?
Whatever happened when you tried the pills?
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

I am taking Selenum with Vit E 200 mcg pills once a day.
A couple of times I took ‘em twice a day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009EA6F ... asin_title

I think there is some sort of a good change but I am not issuing any verdict at this point.

What I have noticed is that perhaps that bad taste in the mouth is reduced, and sometimes totally gone.

I will finish this bottle and keep testing myself till things are somewhat clear.
Jaim618

Post by Jaim618 »

KL123 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pm

I think there is some sort of a good change but I am not issuing any verdict at this point.

What I have noticed is that perhaps that bad taste in the mouth is reduced, and sometimes totally gone.

I will finish this bottle and keep testing myself till things are somewhat clear.
Thanks for the update!
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

KL123 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Are you just guessing or do you have objective feedback from someone? Too much selenium is known to cause bad breath by the way.
micca4455
Junior

Post by micca4455 »

terranpatriot wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:59 am The main symptom of this condition is "extraoral" bad breath from BOTH the nose and the mouth. The sulfur compounds are concentrated in the blood and exhaled through the lungs. If you have it only from your mouth, it's unlikely that this is the cause.

Hi
I think this is what i have. I've done and tried everything just to eliminate bb. But nothings happen. I have bb from the both nose and mouth. Other people smell my bb even they are 3 meters away. And it kills everytime. Don't know what to do now. I lose hope. Cure pls😭
micca4455
Junior

Post by micca4455 »

Anyone from the Philippines?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic