Your Email Address:

First Name:

My bb is 100% heriditary

Tell us your story with bad breath
worriedmom
Total Newbie

My bb is 100% heriditary

Post by worriedmom »

Ok so I have been reading through these forums for years and now finally posting my story. I have had bb since I was a small kid. My mother has horrific bb and I got it from her. Prior to me having kids of my own, it never really occured to me that it was a genetic disorder. I guess I assumed it was a coincidence that I suffered from bb like my mom. When I had my first child (a girl) she never developed bb. She is now grown and does not have it. Important piece of info is that I did not breastfeed her. When I had my second child (a boy), he developed bb by the time he was 2 and his bb is horrific, possibly the worst I have ever experienced. He was exclusively breastfed. I suspected he may have developed bb somehow during breastfeeding or it could have just been a coincidence that he got it and not my daughter. Many years later I had a third child (a boy) and he is only 2 and has bb. He too was breastfed. This got me thinking that my body's flora was transferred to the kids who directly drank from my body. So I ask my mom if she breastfed me and she said No so now my theory doesn't make sense. Another thing that throws that theory at the window is that my mother's father had horrific bb. One thing that is absolutely certain is that the type of bb we have is heriditary without a doubt. Both of my son's breath have the exact same smell. ***Important not*** our bb temporarily goes away after eating a meal, especially one with bread. But it returns in less than 30 minutes. My bb can get pretty horrific at times too, especially if I eat onion or cheese. Cheese is by far the worst food for my bb. If I am to be in a situation where I have to be close to someone for a while , such as a car ride or movie at the theater, my preferred snack is a bag of pretzels. As long as I keep munching on them or something similar, my bb is undetectable until after I completely stop munching. My kids breath also improves tremendously after they eat but again it returns within 30 mins or so.
My bb has been so horrible at times that I can still smell the stench on a freshly washed pillowcase if I had slobbered on it. It isn't regularly this bad but this is how bad it can get. Having taken classes in anatomy & physiology, I suspect that we may be missing or deficient in one of the digestive enzymes such as proteases, lipases, amylases, etc. or my most recent theory is that we are missing or deficient in whatever neutralizes/breaksdown cadaverine and putrescine. Cadaverine and putrescine is the smell of death and at times, our bb can be so horrid that it is unbearable to breath. Again, my bb doesn't get this bad all the time. I know this because I have been married twice and in several other relationships and they have never made a big deal about my breath and had no problems kissing me. In fact, all of them complained that I didn't kiss enough so that leads me to believe my bb isn't as bad as others but i still have it nonetheless. I am deathly worried for my two sons. I can already see how it has affected my older son. he has become shy and withdrawn to a point. He is a teenager and I can't bring myself to have a conversation with him about this, especially because we aren't as close as we should be. My younger son I can do more for now that I understand it a little better now. This condition is horrific and I honestly feel cursed. It has changed who I am. I, too, am now withdrawn and more quiet than I want to be. So many times I want to speak but keep my mouth shut because of the smell. What makes it worse is that I am considered a very attractive woman so this is just terrible. Sorry for long post but I feel we all need to be as detailed as possible so that we can start making progress towards a cure. Diet doesn't really change much. I have tried vegan diet, gluten free and many others and breath is basically the same. The only food I really avoid because it is horrible for my breath is cheese. And it sucks because cheese is one of my favorites. Other than the bb, the rest of my/our bodies have good hygiene.

Freshhope
Junior

Re: My bb is 100% heriditary

Post by Freshhope »

Thanks for sharing. I keep pestering people here without luck, but I’ll keep trying... Have you thought about getting An ancestry DNA sample done, the gimmick ones telling you which part of the world your from. You can actually get your raw data and run it through promothease and it gives you so much information. I have done this myself and also doing the rest of my family research. Your case would be perfect as you can pick yourself one child with the bb and one without and see which genes are common to
Your bad breath.... good luck none the less
worriedmom
Total Newbie

Post by worriedmom »

Okay that does sound really interesting. I will give it a look for sure!
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

worriedmom wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:51 pm Ok so I have been reading through these forums for years and now finally posting my story. I have had bb since I was a small kid. My mother has horrific bb and I got it from her. Prior to me having kids of my own, it never really occured to me that it was a genetic disorder. I guess I assumed it was a coincidence that I suffered from bb like my mom. When I had my first child (a girl) she never developed bb. She is now grown and does not have it. Important piece of info is that I did not breastfeed her. When I had my second child (a boy), he developed bb by the time he was 2 and his bb is horrific, possibly the worst I have ever experienced. He was exclusively breastfed. I suspected he may have developed bb somehow during breastfeeding or it could have just been a coincidence that he got it and not my daughter. Many years later I had a third child (a boy) and he is only 2 and has bb. He too was breastfed. This got me thinking that my body's flora was transferred to the kids who directly drank from my body. So I ask my mom if she breastfed me and she said No so now my theory doesn't make sense. Another thing that throws that theory at the window is that my mother's father had horrific bb. One thing that is absolutely certain is that the type of bb we have is heriditary without a doubt. Both of my son's breath have the exact same smell. ***Important not*** our bb temporarily goes away after eating a meal, especially one with bread. But it returns in less than 30 minutes. My bb can get pretty horrific at times too, especially if I eat onion or cheese. Cheese is by far the worst food for my bb. If I am to be in a situation where I have to be close to someone for a while , such as a car ride or movie at the theater, my preferred snack is a bag of pretzels. As long as I keep munching on them or something similar, my bb is undetectable until after I completely stop munching. My kids breath also improves tremendously after they eat but again it returns within 30 mins or so.
My bb has been so horrible at times that I can still smell the stench on a freshly washed pillowcase if I had slobbered on it. It isn't regularly this bad but this is how bad it can get. Having taken classes in anatomy & physiology, I suspect that we may be missing or deficient in one of the digestive enzymes such as proteases, lipases, amylases, etc. or my most recent theory is that we are missing or deficient in whatever neutralizes/breaksdown cadaverine and putrescine. Cadaverine and putrescine is the smell of death and at times, our bb can be so horrid that it is unbearable to breath. Again, my bb doesn't get this bad all the time. I know this because I have been married twice and in several other relationships and they have never made a big deal about my breath and had no problems kissing me. In fact, all of them complained that I didn't kiss enough so that leads me to believe my bb isn't as bad as others but i still have it nonetheless. I am deathly worried for my two sons. I can already see how it has affected my older son. he has become shy and withdrawn to a point. He is a teenager and I can't bring myself to have a conversation with him about this, especially because we aren't as close as we should be. My younger son I can do more for now that I understand it a little better now. This condition is horrific and I honestly feel cursed. It has changed who I am. I, too, am now withdrawn and more quiet than I want to be. So many times I want to speak but keep my mouth shut because of the smell. What makes it worse is that I am considered a very attractive woman so this is just terrible. Sorry for long post but I feel we all need to be as detailed as possible so that we can start making progress towards a cure. Diet doesn't really change much. I have tried vegan diet, gluten free and many others and breath is basically the same. The only food I really avoid because it is horrible for my breath is cheese. And it sucks because cheese is one of my favorites. Other than the bb, the rest of my/our bodies have good hygiene.

Almost the same story as mine.
The only difference is, I and two of my siblings got it from our dad. My other three siblings have mild to no symptoms. All three of us who got the BB have a skin tone and looks of our dad. And the other three who are BB free have the skin tone and looks of our mom. My father is fairly white and my mom is mild brown skin tone.

My elder brother got it the worst of us all.

Two of my kids got it super strong and one has somewhat mild symptoms.
I once checked her browsing history and no wonder she had searched for "Bad breath cure" and many other such text strings.

My elder one has totally withdrawn from everything and has locked himself in his room. He was such a happy and outgoing kid. He made good jokes and would make everyone laugh. He would play with everyone and had a worry free life till a couple of years ago.

I am sure he has been bombarded with mean and nasty comments from mean kids at school. We all keep a better than excellent dental hygiene. Regular dentist visits, tongue cleaning, yearly medical check ups and everything but all to no avail.

I gently spoke to him in a very mild way that what has been a relief for me to curb BB for a little longer. And that is, scrapping the tongue, thoroughly brushing the teeth and tongue, and then putting a drop or two of Hibiclens on the dorsum and let it sit there.

While the schools are closed and kids are doing online school, he is somewhat happy to stay home and don't go out at all.

Last year, we visited Switzerland on our family vacation trip, and I noticed that his head was down and he had absolutely no interest in ANYTHING!

He would want to just sit in our hotel room during the entire vacation.

Our freaking lives have passed and I don't really give an EFF about me that much anymore, but just like yourself, I am deathly worried about my kids.

My son once told me that he was not going to have any kids. And I said, I 100% support you.

Anyway, you said you have been reading through the forum, I am surprised you haven't talked about SELENBP1 research?

https://www.ru.nl/english/news-agenda/n ... ad-breath/

Today I was able to get hold of someone who knows someone in UK who spoke to Dr. Wevers last year.
And Dr. Wevers said that they are out of funds to continue with this research.

This research was my biggest hope that could find us a break through to cure this shit.

And to make matters worse, I've heard Dr. Wevers has now retired.

I am hoping someone is going to pick up with this research and get the funding to continue. Amen
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Thinking back into my early teens, I was once in a swimming pool with my elder brother. He wasn't too far from me (about 5 feet) as he emerged from under the water and release a large breath as he was holding it under the water. And the gush of bad odor hit my face.

IN OUR PARTICULAR CASE OF BB,
I am almost sure the major repository of bad odorous gases are in the lungs and when we exhale, or talk these nasty gaseous elements gush out.
Nasty bacteria also keeps growing on our dorsum as we breathe because the odorous gases from the lungs keep leaving their nasty residue on the dorsum. So the odorous bacteria on the dorsum is the secondary source of BB.

This also indicates what Dr. Wevers found in his research.
Odorous gases in our blood stream are not properly neutralized due to disorder in our SELENBP1 gene. And these gases are then off load the odorous elements into our lungs.

We can keep our dorsum clean to get a temporary relief but the production and accumulation of nasty bacteria just never stops.
Last edited by KL123 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Take a little funny test.

Use your index finger and very gently scrape a tiny bit of surface from your dorsum. Let your finger get dry in 30 odd seconds and then smell it. It will probably yield a nasty odor.

Now use your pinky finger and take a sample of saliva from UNDER your tongue and smell it. It will be like baby breath with no odor.
worriedmom
Total Newbie

Post by worriedmom »

KL123 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 pm Thinking back into my early teens, I was once in a swimming pool with my elder brother. He wasn't too far from me (about 5 feet) as he emerged from under the water and release a large breath as he was holding it under the water. And the gush of bad odor hit my face.

I am almost sure the major repository of bad odorous gases are in the lungs and when we exhale, or talk these nasty gaseous elements gush out.
Nasty bacteria also keeps growing on our dorsum as we breathe because the odorous gases from the lungs keep leaving their nasty residue on the dorsum. So the odorous bacteria on the dorsum is the secondary source of BB.

Odorous gases in our blood stream are not properly neutralized due to disorder in our SELENBP1 gene. And these gases are then off load the odorous elements into our lungs.

We can keep our dorsum clean to get a temporary relief but the production and accumulation of nasty bacteria just never stops.

You know i did consider the SELENBP1 theory but what makes me doubt that my family and I have that problem is that the odor comes and goes in my youngest son. There are days when his breath is completely fresh ( I am talking that clean fresh breath). It may be fresh like this for several days in a row and then suddenly without warning the bad breath returns. Another observation is that when he gives me a deep exhale, the breath that comes from deep down is fresh. It seems the stinky breath is coming from the mouth. I noticed this with myself as well.

I read several times in different articles that MOST bad breath is attributed hygiene and I always thought that my problem was something chronic and out of the ordinary...something yet to be discovered...but now I am starting to rethink this. Yesterday was the first time that I rinsed with bleach and it actually kept my breath fresh the entire day. And I know it was fresh because the yucky taste that I normally have wasn't there. When I woke up this morning, there was a considerable difference. I would say that I had normal morning breath as opposed to the halitosis breath I would normally have. I did not rinse with bleach today and my breath is fresh though not as fresh as yesterday. This has me thinking that my problem, while chronic, isn't as unique as I have always thought it to be. Maybe it does come down to hygiene and that until now I haven't known of any product to relieve my symptoms. Something like how some people perspire more than others. Some can go all day without deodorant and not get musty and then others need to put on deodorant several times a day. Kinda like that. I don't know. I just know that I am in a state of disbelief that bleach could take care of something that has plagued me my entire life. And I just read that sodium hypocrite is naturally produced in the body so perhaps my body doesn't produce enough of it so I need this rinse to maintain a normal smelling mouth.

If you haven't tried the bleach rinse, give it a shot.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

worriedmom wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:33 pm
KL123 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 pm Thinking back into my early teens, I was once in a swimming pool with my elder brother. He wasn't too far from me (about 5 feet) as he emerged from under the water and release a large breath as he was holding it under the water. And the gush of bad odor hit my face.

You know i did consider the SELENBP1 theory but what makes me doubt that my family and I have that problem is that the odor comes and goes in my youngest son. There are days when his breath is completely fresh ( I am talking that clean fresh breath). It may be fresh like this for several days in a row and then suddenly without warning the bad breath returns. Another observation is that when he gives me a deep exhale, the breath that comes from deep down is fresh. It seems the stinky breath is coming from the mouth. I noticed this with myself as well.

I read several times in different articles that MOST bad breath is attributed hygiene and I always thought that my problem was something chronic and out of the ordinary...something yet to be discovered...but now I am starting to rethink this. Yesterday was the first time that I rinsed with bleach and it actually kept my breath fresh the entire day. And I know it was fresh because the yucky taste that I normally have wasn't there. When I woke up this morning, there was a considerable difference. I would say that I had normal morning breath as opposed to the halitosis breath I would normally have. I did not rinse with bleach today and my breath is fresh though not as fresh as yesterday. This has me thinking that my problem, while chronic, isn't as unique as I have always thought it to be. Maybe it does come down to hygiene and that until now I haven't known of any product to relieve my symptoms. Something like how some people perspire more than others. Some can go all day without deodorant and not get musty and then others need to put on deodorant several times a day. Kinda like that. I don't know. I just know that I am in a state of disbelief that bleach could take care of something that has plagued me my entire life. And I just read that sodium hypocrite is naturally produced in the body so perhaps my body doesn't produce enough of it so I need this rinse to maintain a normal smelling mouth.

If you haven't tried the bleach rinse, give it a shot.

By Bleach, you mean sodium hypochlorite?
Yes, I wrote about my experiences with it. It does seem to work for some people in a sense that it provides a relief for a little longer than regular mouthwash.
As stated previously, if the cause is genetic then there is no cure.
If the cause is decaying teeth and gums or tonsil stones then it's curable but it's hard to believe that the cause could be dental hygiene in our cases.

I was talking for freshhope in the pms.
I grew up with my cousins in the same environment. We had the same kinda food intake and social set up.
They grew up to have the best teeth. Milky white and shiny. They brush teeth in the morning for 30 seconds (no tongue scrapping), and you can put your nose inside their mouths all day when they talk exhale or scream, you won't pick an iota of bad odor. I am on the other hand, is a total different example.
It has to be genes or some organ in our bodies that malfunctions or over produces certain bacteria or produces less of what's needed (again, points to genetic disorder).

But anyway, it's really good to know the bleach has provided a longer relief time to you.
I think two things you should be cautious of, are
1 - Make sure don't over doze it as it could cause serious tissue damage inside the mouth.
2 - Take a test by asking a young kid or a toddler. They usually speak the truth on your face.
KL123
Sheriff

Post by KL123 »

Another example would be my grandfather's brother.
He was an old time villager who died in late 80's at the age of 87.

With a certain degree of confidence, I can assure you that he NEVER brushed his teeth with a toothpaste or used any mouth washes.

All he may have done is rinse his mouth with water in the mornings and that was it. He didn't have bad breath at all. And he had his teeth intact when he died.

As you stated in the OP, that your problem is hereditary which makes sense. It's quite less likely that so many people in the same family are having chronic halitosis due to poor dental hygiene.
May be it's not the SELENBP1 disorder but your case does seem to be related to family genes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic