Your Email Address:

First Name:

.40% chlorhexidine cure?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Pleasehelp
.40% chlorhexidine cure?

Post by Pleasehelp »

Has anyone tried this? It's sold under the name Hibiclens. It was recommended to me by a professor if oral microbiology.

Stevian
Junior

Re: .40% chlorhexidine cure

Post by Stevian »

Common sense tells me this is unsafe and unhealthy for oral use unless diluted to about the same strength as the oral antiseptic mouthwash, which I believe is about 0.12%. Even the oral mouthwash is unsuitable for daily indefinite use.

The 0.4% product [edit: it’s actually 4%] will likely be detrimental to oral tissues, though apparently safe for most people for skin cleansing. Definitely not a cure for anything!
Last edited by Stevian on Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleasehelp
Re: .40% chlorhexidine cure?

Post by Pleasehelp »

I'm cautious as well but it has been recommended by an actual professor of oral microbiology at USC. not for daily use, just as needed on the back of the tongue. I explained that I had already used .20 chlorhexidine to no avail, but he said oral bacteria should not be able to rebound from such a strength as .40% Of course on the package it says DO NOT PUT IN MOUTH. Sooo, I'm not sure what to think.
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

Okay, see my edit to my previous response and be very careful of units and decimal points. The label on the 1 gallon jug of Hbiclens at Amazon says 4.0%, not .4%. Huge difference, eh?

It’s well known that for oral bacteria, the back of the tongue is the most problematic, due likely to limited access. Therefore it could be that targeting that area with a stronger concentration would be effective, but I doubt it’d be 100% eradication, especially if the person has had the problem over many years, several decades.
These anaerobic bacteria become very resistant over time, and may repopulate quickly, often in minutes. There’s also evidence that overuse of CH oral will result in resistance.

I’m not acquainted with your history, but unless your particular case is relatively recent, I’d see it more as a problem to be managed rather than cured.
Pleasehelp

Post by Pleasehelp »

Ahhh, yes, I see it is 4%. I'm curious as to why this person would suggest such a treatment knowing I've tried chlorhexidine in the past with only short term results...I've ordered but am afraid it will only make my problem worse, although at this point I'm not sure how that is possible. What products have you tried?
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

@Pleasehelp:
I really have nothing to say about why your anonymous professor would say anything. For all I know it might be sound advice, but I’ve never heard or read that advice before. Maybe ask that person?

What’ve I tried? Oh, lots of things over the years with varying degrees of success.
The biggest single thing I did that caused a significant improvement was to get my periodontitis (gum disease) treated. Expensive but necessary.

That, though, still didn’t make my bb go away. The rest is just managing my oral environment.
I do the usual dental hygiene routine, including brushing, flossing, tongue scraping, plus I use my electric toothbrush on the back of the tongue.

My daily mouthwash is Therabreath Maximum Strength, at least 2-3 times a day, or as needed.
In close social proximity situations I use a 50/50 mix of Therabreath and chlorhexadine, deep throat gargle at least 30-45 seconds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic