Your Email Address:

First Name:

Vitamin/mineral defiency?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
worriedmom
Total Newbie

Vitamin/mineral defiency?

Post by worriedmom »

I am sure this has been thought of or discussed before but I am wondering if the halitosis experienced by some is as simple as being deficient in a vitamin/mineral. I just recently watched a youtuber talk about how she always has fresh breath even when waking up. She said she discovered it by accident. She takes magnesium and that helps her to have healthy bowel movements which in turns keeps her breath fresh 24/7. I am not saying that those with halitosis is magesium deficient but it could be that or some other mineral. It seems plausible because my youngest son is a very interesting case. There are times within the month where his breath is extra fresh. You ever smell someones breath, even from their nose, and it is just a very clean oxgen(y) type of smell? That is how my sons breath smells at times. It's fresh like that at least once a month for several days and then it becomes very very stinky. This has me thinking that it really is a simple cure, just dont know what it is. I, myself, have always suffered with being slightly anemic (low iron). My RBC count is always below normal. For most of my life , I never really treated it because I didn't think it was really affecting me. My hair has always had trouble staying long and was prone to breakage in the crown area. Well when I was pregnant, my doc put me on high potent iron pills and my hair grew longer than it ever had, even in other pregnancies. SO I am saying this to say, that for some of us, halitosis really could be something as simple as a deficiency that manifests as stinky breath, the same way my low iron manifests as hair breakage in the crown.

Stevian
Junior

Re: Vitamin/mineral defiency?

Post by Stevian »

@ mom
Sorry to hear about your youngest son.
As you probably already know, there are many possible causes for stinky breath.

One of the most simple and straightforward is dehydration, which is the reason the majority of humanity wakes up every morning with morning breath. Yes, morning breath is a minor condition that can be “cured” by swilling a mouthful of water.

Then there are bodily disorders that may lend a characteristic breath odor: uncontrolled diabetes (ketoacidosis), advanced liver disease, advanced kidney disease, ketosis (keto diet), a rare genetic condition called SELENBP1 for short.

For severe and chronic halitosis the usual cause is a persistent over-abundance of gram negative oral bacteria on the tongue, in the throat, on the teeth and gums, in and around the interdental spaces.

Bhah, blah, you probably know all this..

Anyway, a quick test to confirm or disconfirm the most common cause, namely oral origin (stinky oral bacteria) is to use a dose of 0.12% or 0.2% chlorhexadine mouthwash, say 15ml, gargle and swish 30-45 seconds, spit, do not rinse with water. If that does away with the odor, even temporarily, it pretty much confirms oral bacteria origin. If not, well, look elsewhere.

Yes, in North American jurisdictions chlorhexadine mouthwash usually requires a dentist’s scrip, but depending who you know, not too hard to lay your hands on a small amount. If unavailable, hydrogen peroxide 1% would accomplish the same thing, but for a shorter period, maybe 15 minutes.
worriedmom
Total Newbie

Post by worriedmom »

Thanks for your comment. I do believe it is result of bacteria for sure. I also believe that we have a genetic vitamin/mineral deficiency of something that allows this bacteria to grow out of control. I have it, my older son, my mother, and her father all suffer from halitosis. For a minute, I did consider the SELENbp1 defect but I do not think that is our problem at all for several reasons; mainly because the smell seems to originate in the throat/mouth. The breath that comes from deep down in the lungs is normal/fresh. When our mouths are closed and breathing through nose, there is no hint of the smell, only when we speak or exhale through mouth. Another reason is because I have notice that my youngest son's breath can go days, even weeks staying completely fresh and then the halitosis returns. And like him, my halitosis temporarily goes away with simply eating a meal, especially if it consists of carbs. It stays halitosis free for up to an hour.
I have searching for answers for over 20 years and I believe I am finally in the right direction. In the beginning, I had no idea what the cause was. I didn't even realize it was genetic until my oldest son came down with it. I think we suffer from a vitamin deficiency that directly affects the bodies natural production of the "things" that keep that sulfur like bacteria at bay. Myself, my sister and my mom (not sure about other family) all suffer from low iron, so it is totally plausible that my family members with the halitosis all suffer from a different deficiency. Now I am trying to find what that deficiency is. I am starting with magnesium.
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

I too am also very anemic
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
Grunge
Junior

Post by Grunge »

"genetic vitamin/mineral deficiency" makes sense. But I think most BB comes from the gut
Life can hold you down when you’re not looking up
Stevian
Junior

Post by Stevian »

StillHoping wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:01 am I too am also very anemic
Me too, but I doubt it has anything to do with my bad breath, seeing as my bb preceded my anemia by decades.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic