Your Email Address:

First Name:

I think I'm cured after 7 years of post-nasal drip

Tell us your story with bad breath
xjek
Total Newbie

I think I'm cured after 7 years of post-nasal drip

Post by xjek »

Seven years ago, I started to have mucus coming from the back of my nasal septum into my mouth, causing bad breath because the mucus itself was foul-smelling and because it trapped food residue at the back of my mouth. Trying to fix this, I had surgery on my nasal septum, reduced my turbinates, went to see dozens of professionals and followed various therapies, but for seven years this mucus never went away. For seven years, my mind was only focused on this, causing problems with my mood.

The other day, I went to see yet another otolaryngologist to explain my situation. According to him, my problem is related to reflux. I told him that I don't have a reflux sensation, but he says that even just the gas produced by the acids in my stomach would be enough to cause this problem. He checked behind my tongue and showed me that the membranes at the back of my mouth are all red and this should be caused by the reflux gas. He also checked my nose and didn't see any allergic symptoms.

He then prescribed me 20mg of esomeprazole to take every morning on an empty stomach (waiting 40 minutes before eating a meal) and a packet of Hepilor (a zinc-based syrup) to take just before going to bed, passing it well over all parts of my mouth like a mouthwash and also doing some gargles before swallowing (this liquid serves to protect me from the stomach acid gases). He also gave me some dietary tips (avoid caffeine, heavy meals at dinner and put pillows under the mattress so that your neck is raised and the acids don't rise).

In short, according to him, this mucus is a response to the inflammation caused by reflux.

I started the therapy only 10 days ago and I can tell you that so far it is the therapy that has had the most success. The mucus is still present but:

- It is less dense
- The amount produced has decreased
- My bad breath has decreased by 50%
- In the morning I no longer wake up with an excessively unpleasant breath

I hope this can be useful to you... don't give up!

optimismishere
Junior
Re: I think I'm cured after 7 years of post-nasal drip

Post by optimismishere »

Congratulations on the progress. Keep us updated.
RVD3196
Total Newbie
India

Post by RVD3196 »

Reading your post really made my day. Please keep us posted on the progress !
sergiorm7
Total Newbie
Peru

Post by sergiorm7 »

Do you still have bad breath?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic