Your Email Address:

First Name:

Finally, I had my tonsillectomy

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
spygirl
Junior

Finally, I had my tonsillectomy

Post by spygirl »

This is day 3 post-tonsillectomy. I am taking the following:

Arcoxia 90mg (every morning only)
Curam 625mg (1 tab twice daily)
Codeine (2 tabs thrice daily)
Difflam Lozenges (6 lozenges per day for 3 days)

Difflam solution for mouthwash 3-4 times a day
Glythymol mouthwash

I noticed that both my daughters and my hubby too are having cough and colds so I am sleeping in the study room. I have also taken the liberty to add one 1000mg of acid-free vitamin c, which I crush together with my medicine in the afternoon.

I noticed that right after waking up from anaesthesia, I have painful throat and a big nagging catball at the back of my throat that I could not suck due to pain. I ate ice cream and noticed that that cat ball had become nastier. So I settled for jelly, ice water and porridge on the first day.

Yesterday, I did not sleep well due to that cat ball that is getting into my nose breathing and woke up with painful throat, which subsided immediately after I drink water and take my medications. I ate a lot of wet bread immensed in coffee and porridge and jelly. I drink and ate a lot of times though I have swallowing pain as I was really hungry and am not used to light tummy feeling.

Right now on my day 3, I can eat wet bread and wet noodles and steamed egg. I have also been sucking popsicle. I still have pain but not as intense as the past 2 days.

I noticed that the place where my tonsils were is filled with white coating.

I spent about US$2,000. About half will be covered by Medisave and I think the other half may be covered by my insurance as I stayed in the hospital for more than 6 hours (one of their 2 criteria)

I know that members of this site have different beliefs or religion but I ask for God's blessing for this tonsillectomy through sister Heidi Baker before the procedure so I know that this will work for me.

dr3amboy
Total Newbie

Post by dr3amboy »

Wow, congratulations. I hope everything works out and make sure to update us on the situation. I am also going to schedule to have the same operation soon.
spygirl
Junior

Post by spygirl »

Thank you dr3amboy.

I am not taking the crushed acid-free vit c anymore as I have itchiness in my throat last night, I cough a bit a lot of times till early this morning, However, my throat is feeling quite okay now. The only pain I have is in the middle area when I swallow. Maybe this relief is due to painkillers (which btw knocked me off for 3 hours). But I still cannot yawn fully. Last night I also ate steamed fish fillet and porridge and black jelly.

I went to other sites where posters also had tonsillectomy and now I am quite worried that I am recovering a liitle too soon than normal. Such as I tend to eat a lot more different type of foods sooner than others and worrried that this might have repercussions such as bleeding. But I recall the pamphlet that was given to me in the hospital and it says that chewing and swallowing is encourage as soon as the patient is comfortable in doing so as this aids recovery.

BTW dr3amboy, I took two tabs of acid-free vit c everyday for a week before my procedure. I was also put through a course of 600mg amoxiclav before it because my throat was inflamed. Maybe this helps in my recovery.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Everytime your throat hurts, just remember that you're feeling this pain in exchange for a positive change in your breath. How strong of a change will be determined later.. For now, just relax and take it easy.

Goodluck.
Ice
Advanced

Post by Ice »

Those who had their tonsils removed, how long did it take for u to get back to ure normal life?????

After how many days u were able to eat normal, drink, socialize...?

And did it make any difference at all???
stridinglady

Post by stridinglady »

Spygirl,

do you have any update on how you are feeling now??

I got my date in for my tonsillectomy and its 2 weeks today, i am counting th days......cant wait to get rid of these blighters!.............i am sick to death of gagging and trying to clean them out!

slightly nervous about the operation but if it works then it'll all be worth it.

oh and i read on dr katz website that a tonsillectomy is not the cure.............do you think he's just saying the to rip us all off for more money,.........more suffered more dosh for him?? [-o< =D>
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

some have had tonsils out and have not been cured.

others never had bb till tonsils came out.

and there are still others who seem to dissapear from this site not long after tonsil removal.. take that however you'd like.

Whether it's a cure for some or not, I'm sure people with cryptic tonsils will benefit from tonsil removal.. There's some nasty shit cooking in those crypts every second of the day.. Removing a bacteria trap from inside your head has to be a good idea :p
spygirl
Junior

Post by spygirl »

Hi guys. Been busy. It's the eve of chinese new year here. Because most of the family members are busy with their spouse's family, we decided to hold the reunion dinner last night. I think I kinda took my throat for granted, I ate a few pieces of roasted suckling pig together with duck rice and mee. And this morning I woke up with a killer pain on the right side of my throat, which subsided with pain killers. It knocked me out for 1.5 hours but it was really amazing, my pain is totally gone. Just had another serving of pork ribs with new year goodies for dinner today and surprisingly I still do not feel any pain at all up to now.

Confirmed from my medical bill records, I had my tonsils taken out on 29 January. Pre-tonsillectomy, I had bb (nose and mouth origin) that could fill up a whole big room. Open air, I noticed people react to my smell from about 2-3 meter radius just by breathing. My hubby also always said that my hair always smells like kitchen, 'though someone cooks for us. I agree with this observation as my hair always smell like soy sauce 'though I bathe everyday. BTW,my bb started 6 years ago when I moved to Singapore and crossed over 60kg.

My tongue have had white coating since after the operation but I notice for the first time today that it is starting to turn pink.

These past few days, I think I still have bb. But based on my observation, it's of weak variety. I can go to supermarket and people do not react to me speaking unless they get within 1-meter radius. There are also times when people do not react at all to my nasal breathing. Unless they get really close, like sit within 2 rows from me. However, there are also times that they do. I'd say that my improvement so far is about 50%.

One very funny occurence is my body odor. My hubby recently always asks me whether I've just had a bath. He says that my hair smells like shampoo. This is true. I washed my hair 2 days ago and it still smells like shampoo when I sniff it.

For reference, I still have my adenoids (already shrunk to small size and healthy so I had tonsillectomy only) and for 2 years ENTs said that my tonsils were small and had no evidence of tonsil stones at all. When I insist that I have really tiny white dots coming out when I suck out my mucous, then they said that those are tonsil stones and could be coming out from the side of my tonsils that is hidden (huh?). I also read a thread in this forum that tonsillectomy is not succesful most of the time in curing nasal bb. I do not know if this is true and I do not want to know, I just want to rip my tonsils out. I have been praying really hard and I promise Lord that if he cures my breath, I will give it back to Him by telling others of His love, kindness and graciousness. And in His care I am now recovering really well.

Ice. I can eat pretty much everything but I still have slight pain when I brush my teeth or open my mouth wide. I can go out shopping and do normall activities now but I still feel weird when I eat.

Stridinglady. Good luck to you. I think tonsillectomy will be of help to you. And in our case, any help is very much desired.

I hope for further improvement as the white coating in my throat is still pretty much intact. I will update again.
Ice
Advanced

Post by Ice »

spygirl, so u had tonsilectomy a week ago, and u can pretty much eat normally, but it hurts when u brush ure teeth, open wide ure mouth, and u probably have some white stuff-bacteria at the place where the tonsils were?) because blood is food for bacteria, so u probably have bad breath right now, and it is harder to socialize now....
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

I wish you the best of luck, spygirl & I hope it continue to work for you. I`m also praying a lot lately, hoping that God would cure me since I`ve tried anything that sounded logical which ended up in failure. I have little faith left but it`s better than nothing at all.
pink
Total Newbie

Post by pink »

I had my tonsils and adenoid removed on 1/15 and it was painful. It's the fourth week and I still have pain and difficulty swallowing. My tonsils are heal but the adenoid is taking longer. My ENT told me that I had chronic tonsillitis. I had crypts in my tonsils and adenoid which explains the odor. I have bad odor when I breathe through my nose. I believe it's coming from my throat since the adenoid is the tissue behind your nasal cavity. Hopefully when my adenoid is heal the odor will go away.
spygirl
Junior

Post by spygirl »

Day 11. I have been out of any medication since yesterday afternoon so I ate bravely yesterday thinking that I will not be pain-free for the next 2 weeks at least. My throat was feeling raw but I am happy. I am not ashamed to admit that I love eating and the excitement and anticipation of waiting to see how the effectiveness of this procedure is gonna change my social life is killing me.

It is no surprise that I woke up this morning with a tight and raw throat. But everythign subsided after breakfast. About 2 hours after having a slice of coffee cake and a cup of decaf, my 8-year-old daughter told me that my breath smells like cheese (sliced cheese according to her). I do not know whether that is good or bad and I did not brush my teeth yet, but for whatever reason, it made me happy. It is light years away from the way my breath smells like before (sometimes fecal most of the time decaying rat).

I notice that I am breathing through my mouth and snore when I sleep up to now. And about 4 nights ago, I woke up and very briefly smelled (tasted?) a weird horrible thing. It resembles the 'rotting meat' smell that they describe in here before only that I detected a bit of garbage smell too. And I still have that nasty mucous at the back of my nose up to now, I still could not suck it out. I also still have a 'raw wound' taste in my mouth and only about 20% of scabbing has fallen off. Well that's all that I can see but I am quite sure that there is also scabbing at some part of my throat as I am gargling out bits of white scabbing with mucous. I have a feeling that those are the skin in my throat that is just hanging in there for a few days now.

Yesterday we had a picnic and as we were climbing down and passing another family, I could not help but breathe full blast through my nose. There was no reaction at all. But at the table, the lady whose face was about 2 feet away from my face, touched her nose the minute I breathe out.

My social life has been crippled. But I go out today and try to talk to some people.

Thank you guys for wishing me well. I am waiting for the antibiotics to fully wear off. But I have a vibe that it is partly the sincere desire of people around me to get well that will carry me through. Thank you.
stridinglady

Post by stridinglady »

Hi Spygirl,

I just wondered how you are now and if the tonsillectomy was a success............I go in for mine tomorrow and im pretty nervous.

xx
spygirl
Junior

Post by spygirl »

Sorry to have missed you before your procedure, Stridinglady. I will pray for you. Do eat as soon as you can, this is beneficial for you.

I am doing okay. I saw my ENT last 12 February for a follow up and he gave me a course of antihistamine as I was having cough. He said that my throat was still rough and healing may take 1 more week (which is today). He also gave me a copy of the biopsy of my tonsils. They are uneven in size and filled with tonsil stones. I was quite surprised by tonsil stones as I have not seen a single tonsilolith in my tonsil when I still have them. Actually had I not insisted that I saw them a few times in my mucous, ENTs said that my tonsils look fine.

I checked my throat this morning and it seems that an area in the right side has a new layer of scabbing and I still have that 'raw wound taste in my mouth'. I still have bb from the mouth and nose but I cannot say for sure how bad it is. My nasal bad breath is gone for about 4 hours after brushing my teeth (last week was for about 2-3 hours only). I could ride MRT and sit side-by-side with people and get no usual reaction \:D/ , while the bb from the mouth is a little milder. Beyond this range and after a meal, they tend to get worst specially after a spicy meal (nasty chili) and without tongue brushing.

I need to brush my teeth after every meal in order to get back to the 4-hour status. BTW, I use colgate only and gargle with glythymol at night. No nasal cleaning or spray or whatsoever. No fancy stuff from halitomafia too. I still have two big sets of Dioxirinse (which I gargle like water before) and a bottle of BreathRX and I do not know what to do with them yet. The reason I use colgate toothpaste only is because I recall that my nasal bb started when I began using gargle. And that I feel like I am in the initial stage of my bb all over again, so I do not want to spoil this.

I am very happy with where I am right now. I think I still have to wait for a few weeks in order to confirm the status of my bb. I am planning to lose 10-20 pounds as I want to see if this helps as my oral bb started when I hit 60kg and I am now reaching 70kg.

Sometimes when I feel panicky and desperate that my bb did not totally vanish, I pray a lot and remind Jesus about my conversation with Sister Heidi Baker. I did not come back here for a while as I do not want to lose face and admit that my tonsillectomy did not cure me. But something hit me for the last 2 nights- this is not about me at all, this is about Him and all of us in here. I am really hopeful that I will still get better and if I don't, I am still very grateful to Him for helping me out.

I'll update you in a few weeks. But so far I'll say that I am about 50% better overall.
stridinglady

Post by stridinglady »

Hi Spygirl,

Thanks for the reply. I can honestly say that if i knew that the operationb would have been this bad i wouldnt have done it!..........I have an a terrible time, im on day six and the pain for the moment (touch wood as we say in the uk) has subsided, however, to start with the aneithstitist gave me too much medicine and i was out for 24 hours solid, they couldnt bring me round, then when i came round i was violently sick.............also the meds they sent me away with were no where near strong enough and on sat i ended up back in hospital as i passed out from the pain.......it been awful!

I found today lozenges with aneistetic which numbs the throat and they are fabulous........couldnt believe how good!

I have been eating from day 4, things like toast, oatcakes etc...........it is very sore but i am forcing myself.........i had pasta tonight which resembled normality...........when were you able to eat proper meals again.............I crave a chinese meal!

well anyway thats my moan over and my lawyer is also on the case with hospital as they made a complete hash of the whole thing!

I write in hope that there is light at the endof the tunell as it is torture!

Hope you are well

xxxx
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic